Which high-end XC F/S and opinions...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Which high-end XC F/S and opinions...

I used to mountain bike a lot, on a hardtail with an XT group, and then moved to the road bike for the past few years. I've been doing more mountain biking again and am thinking about getting a new bike. What high-end (not necessarily top-of-the-line) full suspension bikes would you guys recommend looking at? I'll be doing mostly cross country with a little racing mixed in. I also noticed that a lot of companies are putting SRAM X.0 on instead of XTR - any opinions? Here's what I'm looking at so far:

Giant Anthem
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Kona King Supreme
    Specialized Epic

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm a fan of Specialized and Trek, but I don't think you can go very far wrong with any of those.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Don't miss the Titus Racer-X.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    When you say *high-end* you're opening a lot of possibilities, including but not limited to boutique bikes.

Among those mentioned, the Epic is efficient in the pedaling department but the first ones were portly. I haven't ridden the carbon Epic nor the newer ones, I read they went on a diet.

The King Supreme has a msrp of $4,995.
    If you're thinking of spending around this neighborhood, better include these boutique racing steeds: Yeti AS-R SL, Ellsworth Truth, Titus Racer X (older ones were heavy), Intense Spider, Ventana El Fuego & Turner Flux. With judicious shopping you can hit the 23 lbs mark with any of those mentioned for the price of a King Supreme.

mtbr member
    Giant's Maestro design is really good, so I would recomend either the anthem or the epic. The current XC World Champion rides an epic, and the brain is a really nice commodity. But both are XC racing oriented bikes, so they might not be as forgiving as a stumpy or trance on the trail. Personally, the XO stuff rocks! It does raise questions though: Are companies just putting it on because it is more expensive than xtr and the carbon bling factor? (220 vs 100/carbon cages) I really like it because it is immediete and just, all around perfect. But beware, I've heard that the carbon cages break easily. Good luck!

O, and I just looked at the Supreme...Dude! That much for v brakes and non disc? Check out the SC Blur XC! For that price, you can get a away better setup with VPP!!!!

mtbr member

... and if we just ... If you are racing and wieght is an issue

I have ridden the S-Works epic (carbon) and the Trek EX 9.5 (also carbon). I'm going with the Trek, just feels better to me, with the SRAM full package. I have always liked SRAM and will change anything, off -road, that has something else over to SRAM. X0 is so precise and durable. New race bike setup - 22lbs and change.

Current setups:
    training - trek fuel 80 with SID WC and SRAM
    Xterra racing - Trek Top Fuel 110
    new on order - Trek Fuel 9.5 SRAM everything
    triathlon - Cervelo P3C - Dura Ace
    that which does not kill me will only make me better...than you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Hey,

If you want high-end xc/trail performance I strongly urge you to check out the K2 Apache 6.0--I rode a lot of bikes before buying this one and I'm telling you it performs to the highest xc expectations--and is several thousand dollars less than some of those other bikes (with a very nice parts selection).

Also, like some others have said--with a high-end budget (5000) I'd wouldn't buy one of the big Company's highend spec'd bikes (afterall it's in the competitively priced markets where bike bike companies make the most sense!) but rather at one of the elite boutique brands: Intense, Titus, Turner, Ventana, Ellsworth, you know the usual suspects (or maybe one of the custom builders dualies-like wojcik Solution etc).

Oh-and the SRAM X.O. product line is top notch and you should be stoked to see it included in any manufacturers build kit list!

Liam

Members who have read this thread: 0