Help on racing HT- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Help on racing HT

I am debating about which bike to buy. I am considering the Felt RXC Elite, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp, Trek 8000 , Marin Indian Fire Trail, and the Scott Scale 40. I am open to suggestions about any racing xc bike under $2100. Thank you.

ride hard take risks
    Racing is awesome on a HT as long as you have potiential. If you are a smooth pedaler & know how to spin a FS is alot better for you. HT's get the power to the ground but bounce on every bump. FS with a ProPedal setup keeps the wheel on the ground at all times for better acceloration as well as a smooth ride.

Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    what bikes seem to be the best for racing then?

ride hard take risks
    There are so many great bikes to pick from. Check out a Ibex Asta, they are a net company that passes the savings on to the customer. CS is awesome, you can actually call or email them & get a real responce quickly & honestly.

https://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-PRO-Details.html

Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Bring in the clowns

HT bikes are great for XC racing – lots of Pros use them and tons of adventure racers

Off your list – your best bet is the Felt IMO
    If you want to buy online; there are great deals on super light HT racers –
    BUT they are not Ibex –
    Due to the Ibex HT racer being heavy and expensive for it's class
    Last edited by drlogic; 02-07-2007 at 05:05 AM.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by drlogic
    Another clown in the Ibex cirrus – turning this forum into a complete running joke
    that is why the groupie tried to switch you to FS
    Due to the Ibex HT racer being heavy and expensive for it's class
    Sorry Bubbles but the reason for suggesting a FS as a racer is the wheels stay planted going over rocks & roots where a HT bounces over them, please read 1st post.

Suggesting a bike to a OP weather it is on his list or not shouldn't get every ones skirt lifted. Buying a bike that you feel is the right one is what it's all about. Personally i dont care which brand a person picks as long as they are happy & riding.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    I have personal experience with Stumpjumper and Scale 40. they are nice bikes. I would also add Kona Kula line. I find Kula to be a very sweet handling bike with a great frame and nice components.

now please read this....what ever you buy....DONT BUY IBEX or MOTO bike online.....They are not proven mountain bike brands yet.....so, I dont trust their product as much...no matter how much bling bling they put on their bikes......

Also, a reputed mountain bike company would not sale their products online if they cared about the customers. Cause a poorly fitted bike (which often happens when you can not test ride them) can cause a lot of damage to a rider and can potentially ruin the riding experience. I think that these online stores are here just to sale their products and does not care about your experience..........I would rather buy from someone who wants to sale their products and also cares form me as a rider......just my thoughts

Company CSR
    ...there are a bunch of Ibex groupies on this forum that can not help but recommend Ibex even if it is off topic.
    It's hardly "off topic" when the OP says he's open to suggestions.

The reason there are so many IBEX fans on the MTBR forums is simple. IBEX makes great bikes and sells them at remarkably low prices... and since we market over the Internet it's pretty natural that riders who frequent Internet sites will be the ones who discover IBEX, own an IBEX bike, like IBEX and want to spread the word.

The reason there are so many IBEX bashers on the MTBR forums? Well, I guess you'd have to explain that one, but your short history of posting on MTBR is loaded with examples of you singling out IBEX and bashing not only the brand, but anyone who mentions it in a positive light. And on that last note it seems that you've used the same strategy that you denigrated Mrpercussive for... you try to discredit the folks who like IBEX. Do you really think it's appropriate to call anyone who likes IBEX a "clown"?

Your criticism of the brand itself regarding this thread is to claim our hardtails are too heavy and too expensive, which is totally unsupported. Our Trophy Pro would be the likely choice for a HT racebike. It shows a target weight of 25 lbs., though I would expect the actual weight will be a bit lighter when all is said and done. It's selling now for about $750 less than comparably equipped models in the LBS brands... which, BTW, usually come in at about the same weight in that class (most do not publish weights, but we do weigh a sampling of the competition's bikes for R&D).

What is clear here is that you've set yourself off on a mission to bash IBEX. It also appears from some of the comments you've made (giving details on component spec's that the public is not typically privy to), that you are an industry insider. If that is so, then your flame-baiting reeks of ulterior motive.

Sincerely,
    Jack A.
    IBEX Bicycles
    Last edited by ibexbikes; 02-07-2007 at 11:45 AM.
    IBEX Bicycles Company CSR

www.ibexbikes.com

Freshly Fujified

Last warning, folks

This thread's heading in the wrong direction. Posts that are considered flamebaiting have been pulled or edited in accordance with posting guidelines. For the record, from the OP's first post:

"I am open to suggestions about any racing xc bike under $2100. Thank you."

Everyone has their preferences, state them. Personal attacks are not allowed.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

wandering lost
    Nov 2006
    Regarding your original short list, I have owned 3 of those hardtails (or very similar):

Specialized Stumpjumper
    Trek 8500
    Scott Scale

Of course your best bet (if at all possible) is to ride them and find a good fit. As has been mentioned in any number of similar threads, you will do better (and be happier) with a lower-end bike that fits you well as opposed to a higher-end bike that doesn't fit...

If somehow they all magically fit you, then my suggestion would be for you to try and find an extra $100 and buy a Scott Scale 30, which can be had for only $2200 (try www.sagecycles.com). It's the same frame as the Scale 10 (which sells for over $2000 for the frame alone), and the other components are very decent - easily comparable to those on the other bikes you mention. And you won't be unhappy with the Fox F100RL. I have been a long-time Specialized rider, but have happily added a Scott Scale with a carbon frame to the stable and have no regrets.... At any rate, my advice would be to buy the very best frame and fork that you can afford - if you ever get struck later with "upgradeitis" you'll at least have a platform worthy of the upgrades.

A carbon frame (versus aluminum, steel, ti, whateverelsium) is one of those controversial topics, but in my opinion the switch from aluminum to carbon, at least for a hardtail, has been well worth it.

My $0.02. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orca

now please read this....what ever you buy....DONT BUY IBEX or MOTO bike online.....They are not proven mountain bike brands yet.....so, I dont trust their product as much...no matter how much bling bling they put on their bikes......

WHAT?

I actually own a MOTO and IBEX and think highly of them both. I've ridden many different manufactures of bikes and these are just as good.

I think my IBEX ASTA is probably one of the nicest FS bikes I've ever ridden ...
    My Moto is also a nice bike, quick and light.

and to answer the OPs original ?. The trek 8000 is a pretty nice bike, and the Scott Scale 40 is also pretty nice according to reviews
    Last edited by txjohng; 02-07-2007 at 02:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thank you for the advice but please do not argue about things and get upset it is unecessary

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by devo5
    Thank you for the advice but please do not argue about things and get upset it is unecessary
    Are you considering only HT or are you considering FS as a possibility
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    For myself I own a TREK 8000 2006 and I really like the ride. It's a cool bike for race and also for agreement it's really a good quality/price bike. I don't regret my choice and i'll suggest this bike to everyone who want a serious bike who caN MAKES THINGS FUNNY.
    sorry for my english.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It's a well known fact that full suspension bikes are actually Faster, not slower than hardtails contrary to popular belief.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuodo
    It's a well known fact that full suspension bikes are actually Faster, not slower than hardtails contrary to popular belief.
    I am of the belief that FS is better for a majority of XC Race courses especially the rough ones. Unfortunatly there is a large handfull of people that will still say HT only as a XC race bike. Last year i was helping a 17 year old killa XC racer with his racing & it was amazing how much faster he was on a FS bike. After speaking with some top racers & pro's they had the same thing to say, put the kid on a FS & let him spin, they were right & so are you.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

You paid for it - you should get want you want.

Quote Originally Posted by ibexbikes
    It's hardly "off topic" when the OP says he's open to suggestions.

The reason there are so many IBEX fans on the MTBR forums is simple. IBEX makes great bikes and sells them at remarkably low prices... and since we market over the Internet it's pretty natural that riders who frequent Internet sites will be the ones who discover IBEX, own an IBEX bike, like IBEX and want to spread the word.

The reason there are so many IBEX bashers on the MTBR forums? Well, I guess you'd have to explain that one, but your short history of posting on MTBR is loaded with examples of you singling out IBEX and bashing not only the brand, but anyone who mentions it in a positive light. And on that last note it seems that you've used the same strategy that you denigrated Mrpercussive for... you try to discredit the folks who like IBEX. Do you really think it's appropriate to call anyone who likes IBEX a "clown"?

Your criticism of the brand itself regarding this thread is to claim our hardtails are too heavy and too expensive, which is totally unsupported. Our Trophy Pro would be the likely choice for a HT racebike. It shows a target weight of 25 lbs., though I would expect the actual weight will be a bit lighter when all is said and done. It's selling now for about $750 less than comparably equipped models in the LBS brands... which, BTW, usually come in at about the same weight in that class (most do not publish weights, but we do weigh a sampling of the competition's bikes for R&D).

What is clear here is that you've set yourself off on a mission to bash IBEX. It also appears from some of the comments you've made (giving details on component spec's that the public is not typically privy to), that you are an industry insider. If that is so, then your flame-baiting reeks of ulterior motive.

Sincerely,
    Jack A.
    IBEX Bicycles
    Jack, as you know, I can not respond to your post in detail as moderators are watching and will delete my post OR WORSE change its content. It is an interesting system, you pay enough for advertising and then moderators defend your position no matter what.

I came on this forum to just read and search; no reason to post as I thought every question must already be answered. Just like running forums, boating forums, or any other type. I quickly found the clear pattern here which is transparent to anyone with half a brain.

I have purchased my bike already, so no reason to be interested in this forum any longer; except the outcome of the insulting cirrus that is being put on by your clowns.

I say more power to you; it is the American way; Money Talks. It will be interesting to see if shops around the country or other brands ever take enough interest in this forum to add any balance. I will try to promote that a little, but frankly do not have enough time to focus on minor injustices.

ride hard take risks

I came on this forum to just read and search; no reason to post as I thought every question must already be answered. Just like running forums, boating forums, or any other type. I quickly found the clear pattern here which is transparent to anyone with half a brain.

I have purchased my bike already, so no reason to be interested in this forum any longer; except the outcome of the insulting cirrus that is being put on by your clowns.
    You have not asked a single question on buying a bike, you have never left the What Bike to Buy forum & have flamed on every post. Why dont you participate in the forum & get around, join in the conversations on the DH/FR forum or the Brake how about the Political. Spread your wings & explore there is alot more here than the W.B.t.B forum. Ride on Bubbles
    Formotion Products

mtbr member

i beg to differ... this forum has a lot of tech information... you'd be able to find SSV damper mods or SPV removal mods on here no problem. Discussions on riding techniques. Opinions on setups. How to make trails legal. Rides...

Company CSR
    Jack, as you know, I can not respond to your post in detail as moderators are watching and will delete my post OR WORSE change its content. It is an interesting system, you pay enough for advertising and then moderators defend your position no matter what.

I say more power to you; it is the American way; Money Talks. It will be interesting to see if shops around the country or other brands ever take enough interest in this forum to add any balance. I will try to promote that a little, but frankly do not have enough time to focus on minor injustices.
    Your response is pretty typical, but as you said those with half a brain think they see a pattern... and they are wrong. Here's the real pattern here:

A) New poster gets upset because their advice is overshadowed by others.

B) Poster goes on the warpath against IBEX, or whomever, and attacks anyone who is a proponent of that brand, usually wrongly accusing them of being shills.

C) The misinformation and personal attacks posted during these rants causes some sort of repercussion for said poster... could be deleted posts, could be warnings, whatever.

D) Poster then accuses MTBR of bias towards advertiser, even though it is the poster's own words that caused the problem. This often entails the poster claiming that their right of free speech has been violated, even though Forum Guidelines are pretty clear about what is expected in keeping the tone of posts civil... AND, said poster did not feel it necessary to extend the "right of free speech" defense to the very folks that he went after in his attacks and insults.

Thanks,
    Jack
    Last edited by ibexbikes; 02-08-2007 at 10:44 PM.
    IBEX Bicycles Company CSR

www.ibexbikes.com

mtbr Decade+

My advice at buying online...

is keep your LBS in the loop. My LBS has a "Bike in a Box" special where they assemble online bought bikes for $49.99Cdn. Take an online bought bike in for that buy a new pair of shoes and a hydration pack and you still have your LBS' service as a customer.

This really works well because the LBS will "haggle" with you as they know you have options available in the future.

I have no bias in the online bike argument. However,living in Canada, some of the online deals available to people in those "continental 48 States" seem really unbelievable - whether its through bikesdirect or IBEX.

However, it is important to get the correct size. My only online bike experience was very negative. I bought a K2 Razorback Team Size M. I did not know that this Medium was really a 16" frame with a ~21" top tube. To a beginner(THIS IS IMPORTANT!) if you find bikes that fit find out their top tube length and keep this in mind when buying, it really is helpful.

For example, I NOW know that as a 5'11" 225lb man that I enjoy a top tube length from 22.75" to about 23.75". Unfortunately the K2 was a $1500 mistake that now functions admirably as my loaner for little people.

FWIW, the only thing I see as bothering some people is that the Online Bikes Fan Club(OBFC) are usually quick to post to all "what bike?" questions. Maybe the OBFC is getting a little redundant and predictable.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie
    FWIW, the only thing I see as bothering some people is that the Online Bikes Fan Club(OBFC) are usually quick to post to all "what bike?" questions. Maybe the OBFC is getting a little redundant and predictable.
    Dank & here i thought i was being creative this whole time

Most of the people posting on the What Bike forum are generally looking to spend under $700 US, the ones looking to spend more & are looking for a specific type of bike will post int the DH/FR or AM specific forums. I wouldnt really say the net company supporters are quick to answer just happen to be the first ones to answer a question. Last night i dug up some post up to 1 day old with zero responces. Not nagging here just wanted touch bas on the "quick" posting from the OBFC.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I am new to this forum (or any mtb forum). I am looking to purchase a new bike in the next 9 mos to a year and I thought this would be a long and labor intensive endeavor. I found it refreshingly easy to make a tentative decision and here is why. There are three things that make purchasing decisions easy for me:
    Overwhelming evidence of good customer service,
    loyal/outspoken customers,
    and a notable lack of availability used.
    There are no Ibex bikes for sale in the classifieds here and there are none on ebay.

I don't think I have to elaborate on the first two. So when the time comes, I believe I will be getting an Asta.
    P.S. Jack, you don't need to worry about a few dissident posters. I haven't heard bad things from anyone who actually has an Ibex or has up close experience with one.

Qben

Members who have read this thread: 0