mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Help with new bike

Hi everyone, I haven't been on here in a long time but I am a little lost. I was completely set on getting the Canyon Spectral Al 6.0 and after reading through posts on this forum I'm starting to change my mind. The Diamondback Release 4c keeps coming up and I've always thought of Diamondback as a walmart bike but maybe I'm wrong. The release is carbon with a better shock and fork (I think?). I haven't ridden either bike but I've always been able to hop on any bike and hold my own. I'm not very picky on size etc. I'm 6ft tall with a long torso and shortish legs. I currently have a Trek Liquid 25 that is 13 years old, I've had it since high school and it's been an okay bike but it's beat up and it's a size too small for me because at the time i wanted to jump and do stupid stuff I don't do anymore. I want a do it all bike and as much as I love the gravity aspect of biking, it's not what I get to do most of the time so as much as I'd like to get a downhilll bike again (my Santa Cruz Bullit got stolen in Big Sky MT) I live in Fargo, ND now and most of my riding will be xc riding with somewhat regular trips to steeper more challenging terrain.

Back to my dilema, is the Diamondback worth an extra $400 dollars? It seems like a pretty awesome bike and an even better deal than the Canyon, it ships for free to a LBS and they build it for me at no cost and they have 12 month 0% financing through Affirm which is awesome! The canyon is cooler looking but has no LBS support and I've heard terrible things about their support. Am I missing anything else? Are there other bikes that are on the same performance/value scale?

Thanks for any and all help!

Edit: links added

https://www.diamondback.com/mountain-bikes/all-mountain/release-4c-carbon

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mtb/spectral/2018/spectral-al-6-0
    Last edited by notilloc; 03-03-2018 at 07:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    For the record, I'm not a pro, I'm a solid intermediate. I can get down just about anything but my speeds go waaayy down when it get's extreme. I also have no affinity to carbon over aluminum. I don't understand why carbon is such a big deal on mountian bikes, I understand on road bikes because it makes a pretty big difference on ride but when you have 5+ inches of suspension I don't really get it but I've also never ridden it either, I said the same thing on road bikes and when I rode one I got it right away.

I'm also a big guy 230 lbs of beer and pizza but I can still hold my own on the trail haha.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I don't think you can go wrong either way. If LBS support is important to you, then the Diamondback is likely the best choice for you between these. There are lots of other bikes with similar specs, so it's easy to get into paralysis by analysis mode. Pick one, buy it, ride the crap out of it and if you don't really like it, pick a different one next time :-)

mtbr member
    First up a little nit pick that irks me when people post about bikes asking for help, post links for the bikes you want people to look at and don't make them go looking to find them themselves, most days I'd have passed this thread by because I really don't feel like doing other people's homework in full for them.
    That being said, this morning I'm feeling kind of nice

To me, honestly it's more about which you prefer RS or Fox, Shimano or SRAM, as parts spec are basically about the same, just from different manufacturers. Also then, as you said, there's local shop support with the DB, to me that is a big thing. DB has made some big change sin the last 10 or so years and they provide some legit bikes for both MTB and road these days, would not hesitate to purchase one.

As to carbon vs alu, I actually prefer alu as I don't worry about it getting scratched up as much and it'll generally give warning before anything happens.

Here's what teh guys at bike thought of the DB https://www.bikemag.com/gear/mountai...ase-carbon-4c/ and here's it vs a Yeti SB5 LR https://www.bikemag.com/gear-feature...s-yeti-sb5-lr/
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I ordered the Diamondback, the 12 months 0% financing, LBS support and the threaded bottom bracket were the deciding factors.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Follow up: The Release 4C rocks! I was a little nervous about it because it doesn't have name recognition but it's a huge step up from my 12 year old Trek Liquid. It even climbs a little better than my liquid and it for sure goes downhill much better. My confidence is going way up and I'm riding scarier trails and taking more "risks" because of my confidence. I'm definitely not a bike expert but I can't recommend the Release enough!