Help me pick one- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Help me pick one

I am getting back into the MTB scene, and will mostly be hitting my local trials, park for exercise and fun. I am a bit of a researcher and like to find a good deal, or value. Instead of dropping $600-1K on a beginner 29er, I am thinking of buying a used 26" (in good shape) couple year old setup, that has upgraded parts for the same money.

Anyway here are (2) what I think are great value for this money, that I am deciding on.

First up:
    https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear....aspx?id=11897
    upgrades include- Deore gears, hayes hydro, and some other upgrades. just tuned with new chain and cables.

Second:
    https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear....aspx?id=18818
    Upgrades include- Easton wheelset, SRAm X4 gears, and Hyrdo breaks, and Easton components.

Both of these bikes are in near mint shape, and were recently tuned. Both are the same price, with some negotiating. I just wanted to get a valued opinion.

Thanks!

mtbr member

Help me pick one

What is the price on them? I'm not sure I would pay $600+ for that specialized... It's got some alright stuff but it's 2006, full aluminum frame, hardtail, only 90mm travel in the front... Not sure that's worth $600. I'm not familiar specifically with the second bike but Rocky Mountain is a good company and the parts look pretty good. I would say it comes down to what you want in the bike. If you want the lighter, slightly better climbing but much worse ride quality (IMO) in the hard tail then that's up to you (could be useful if you want to do xc races or something but it doesn't sound like that's what you're going for). However if you do want a hard tail I would keep looking or pay less for that one.

If you want a full sus (I would recommend for what it sounds line you wan to do just some trail riding for fun) then the Rocky mountain could be a decent bike. See if someone else who has ridden one of those specifically chimes in.

Also where are you buying from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. That is why I posted here, I knew I would get some good insight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Also looking for a new hardtail 29er. Here are some I'm thinking about...any input would be appreciated.

2015 D610 | Redline Bicycles

Specialized Bicycle Components

Trail 3 - TRAIL - TRAIL HARDTAILS - MOUNTAIN - BIKES - 2015

GHOST BIKES:*Tacana 7

INRI
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Allen View Post
    I am getting back into the MTB scene, and will mostly be hitting my local trials, park for exercise and fun. I am a bit of a researcher and like to find a good deal, or value. Instead of dropping $600-1K on a beginner 29er, I am thinking of buying a used 26" (in good shape) couple year old setup, that has upgraded parts for the same money.

Anyway here are (2) what I think are great value for this money, that I am deciding on.

First up:
    https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear....aspx?id=11897
    upgrades include- Deore gears, hayes hydro, and some other upgrades. just tuned with new chain and cables.

Second:
    https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear....aspx?id=18818
    Upgrades include- Easton wheelset, SRAm X4 gears, and Hyrdo breaks, and Easton components.

Both of these bikes are in near mint shape, and were recently tuned. Both are the same price, with some negotiating. I just wanted to get a valued opinion.

Thanks!
    Are you able to personally check out these bikes? that is the big question.My point is those are nice bikes if the fork and frame shock are not ruined.Your not going to get much of a bike at that price if you are buying new.

INRI
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Also looking for a new hardtail 29er. Here are some I'm thinking about...any input would be appreciated.

2015 D610 | Redline Bicycles

Specialized Bicycle Components

Trail 3 - TRAIL - TRAIL HARDTAILS - MOUNTAIN - BIKES - 2015

GHOST BIKES:*Tacana 7
    Those are nice bikes for the money, the Ghost seems to be the best choice since the fork is the best of the three.When I am looking for a hardtail bike I try to find the one with the best fork.since you have no rear suspension it is imperative to have a mid to high level quality fork and use your ever so manly legs as rear suspension.Unfortunately you would be paying upwards of at least $1400 for a bike like that, something with at least 32mm diameter and a thru axle.Imperative? depends how aggressive you want to ride.