Help me NOT buy from Walmart.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

New question here. Help me NOT buy from Walmart.

Hi,

I'll be quick...

1) Budget for the bike is $150.00 ( I know its not much, BUT its what I got an I want to start riding now...
    2) I am considering an older 1990's Schwinn Sierra MOS (Exage 400LX) (medium frame, fit is pretty good) in pretty descent shape for its age... and I like the idea of reconditioning it... and a new Schwinn Sidewinder (not sure on the components or fit) from... gulp... Walmart.
    3) I dont plan on any real off-roading right away, just mainly the paved paths in my housing development.. we have 26 miles of paved trails through parks and golf courses... My son just learend to ride a 2 wheeler, and I'd like to go for rides with him to the parks and school... Plus, I'd like to shed a few pounds...
    4) I don't really care to have suspension, one way or the other right away...
    5) I am 38yrs old and 5'6"- 5'7" depending on how I slept.. LOL... Im short.. HAHA.. and weight is (gulp) 220lbs. Short, Old, Fat!
    6) I'm only considering the used bike dealer (craigs list) and the department store.. My other Hobby (RC racing) takes up most of my extra funds... so my budget is FIRM ( one income family right now.. economy blow in Vegas...)
    7) If you know anything about these bikes, or know something bad that should make me look elsewhere.... Not that I really can... but... any input from enlightened people will be great. I am leaning twards the old bike, as i know it WAS better than the walmart schwinn IS... and I do tinker alot in the garage...

so... that's the story... Who can help me with the ending??

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Here are some pics of the older bike, and the parts on it....

mtbr member
    for $150 its pretty much all you can do is buy a dept store bike, as long as you stay on the pavement or smooth trails you should be fine,

the side winder shouldnt be to bad, i have a friend to uses one to commute everyday, I repair his bike, and aside from, a few flats, and a few things that come loose, the bike holds up.

granted all the repairs i have performed on the bike could have been prevented with SOME (not even regular) maintenance.

if you are a tinkerer and patient i would read up on bike tunning and adjust the bike m and go over every part to make sure it was assembled right, thats where most dsb fail is because of poor assembly of low quality parts, but if they are properly italled the are less prone to breaking. or you could get one in the box and assemble your self. otherwise gett the assembled bike and take it to an lbs to have properly adjust it and to go over the assembly ( the shop near me, sees it a lot and the call it the wallytune)

but keep the reciept, if the bikes give you problems return it whiel you still can, or if you start riding and rally like it you will want something a bit better
    2009 Giant Yukon FX

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Brujo
    for $150 its pretty much all you can do is buy a dept store bike,...
    bzzzt!!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

May 2009
    Dont go to walmart and you wont buy a bike from there. CL baby. You can get a way better deal.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Buying a bike at Walmart is like buying wine at Walmart. If you don't know the difference between screwtop and actual wine, you will be missing out big time.

Plus, a dept. store bike is throwing money down the toilet and could actually hurt you. It is made out of crap and assembled by minimum wage earners who don't know a bike from a shopping cart. It might not last 5 minutes of actual off-road riding.

Like the other poster said: CL - or e-bay.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

AZ
    banned
    The Schwinn in the photos is worthy of some love , far better than a Walgoose IMHO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt
    Buying a bike at Walmart is like buying wine at Walmart. If you don't know the difference between screwtop and actual wine, you will be missing out big time.
    Mmmmm..Wolfblass makes some very good wine that comes in screwcap
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

Chronic 1st-timer
    Used bike from a human....CL.
    Keep it ($) in the (cycling) family.

May need a tune-up, but 9 times outta 10, a WallyWorld bike will too. (No UBI trained mechs there)
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just food for thought- My wally-world bike lasted me a year before I could afford to buy a decent starter mtn bike. I mostly rode on paved paths to and around town. I know people are seriously against a wal-mart bike but, aren't we here to ride?

Good luck on your decisions. I would search craigslist before buying a bike from wal-mart.

In the end: Riding is Riding. Whether you be on a 20yr old Specialized or a $100 Next from Walmart. Enjoy your time with your son. We shouldn't judge you on which bike you choose, I know I won't.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The best bike is the one you enjoy and get to spend time riding. For riding on the bike paths around your house, a simple bike is fine, whether you are riding with your child or riding by yourself.

My only cautions on an older bike would be:
    (1) to test ride it and make sure everything on seems to be in sound condition;

(2) Know that fixing worn out items (never mind upgrading) can get expensive;

(3) As bikes have evolved over the last 20 years or so, various parts and size standards have changed. Some times, it can be hard to replace a worn part because it is a size no longer made.

You can do a lot of work on your own bike with some simple tools. Some jobs require specialized tools, and you have to decide whether it is worth buying the tool or just outsourcing those jobs to a shop.

The main thing, is get a bike and start riding. And although you didn't ask, please lose some weight. You want to be around for your wife and child. I'm your height, and heavy for that height at 155. You aren't old; I'm in my 50's and know lots of guys over 50 who are serious riders.

With all those miles of bike path, you'll be able to put together endless loops and find that riding will give you a mental high and clarity of mind most folks find addicting. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for all the replies... I went ahead and bought the old bike.. i rode it.. everything seems to be in fair order.. the front dérailleur neds adjusted as its difficult to get the chain onto the biggest sprocket... so after de-funk-ifying everything, that is my first task.. and then this evening, a ride with my boy...

Reason I went with it is mainly I read up on the hardware, and its not bad stuff.. and the fit is fantastic.. I tried a couple more CL bikes this morning and all were WAY too big... If i'm going to ride, I think I'll only do it as long as I'm comfortable...

Now I just want some smoother tires, and better seat.. LOL..

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt

Plus, a dept. store bike is throwing money down the toilet and could actually hurt you. It is made out of crap and assembled by minimum wage earners who don't know a bike from a shopping cart. It might not last 5 minutes of actual off-road riding.

Like the other poster said: CL - or e-bay.

Many wines in NZ and OZ are in screw cap because it keeps better.... No that this has anything to do with Walmart bikes. Go second hand at your budget.

*Contents Under Pressure
    an early 2000's entry level mtb from a big name company could easily be had for $150. in fact thats about the range i almost sold my 08 trek 3700 for. Bikes like the giant boulder, specialized hardrock, and the trek 3 series are great for getting into the sport and would be far more reliable than any walmart bike.
    There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

mtbr member
    Dude, I highly recommend a walmart bike..here is the reason---

It will break once you land your first flight into space....which means you will get hurt and have serious scars....which means you can drizzle your war story on the ladies in the hottub. You might go home with a broken bike, but you won't go home lonely!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You made the right choice, that Schwinn is a good starter!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFizz2k1
    Thanks for all the replies... I went ahead and bought the old bike.. i rode it.. everything seems to be in fair order.. the front dérailleur neds adjusted as its difficult to get the chain onto the biggest sprocket... so after de-funk-ifying everything, that is my first task.. and then this evening, a ride with my boy...

Reason I went with it is mainly I read up on the hardware, and its not bad stuff.. and the fit is fantastic.. I tried a couple more CL bikes this morning and all were WAY too big... If i'm going to ride, I think I'll only do it as long as I'm comfortable...

Now I just want some smoother tires, and better seat.. LOL..
    That bike is quite the antique, but it looks good and probably rides quite well. I think that the biggest improvement that you could make would be a nice set of v-brakes.

You have to be patient with those BioPace chainrings -- it takes them about a half a revolution before they will shift. Did you notice that they aren't round?
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerdave
    That bike is quite the antique, but it looks good and probably rides quite well. I think that the biggest improvement that you could make would be a nice set of v-brakes.

You have to be patient with those BioPace chainrings -- it takes them about a half a revolution before they will shift. Did you notice that they aren't round?

I did notice they werent round and really, at first, thought it was bent.. LOL.. the last huffy 10 speed i had in 1987 took a good 3-4 revolutins to change gears.. LOL.. if i got the lever just right.. HAHA..

V brakes will be on my list, but to do that, i was told i'd have to change brake levers and gear shifters.. forgive me not knowing the proper names of these things.. I'm a quick study...

I spent the afternoon cleaning and tightening etc... will take pics tomorrow to better represent what it looks like now... MUCH improved...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Mostly clean... adjusted the mechanics as best i could.. shifts well.. brakes well... rides pretty darn well... I feel like the price was too high, but I consider the alternative and am still satisfied with this bike.

Yeah, yeah... i know.. a kick stand.. a crappy one at that... well I needed a way to stand it up in the garage while I work on it until I hang my rack, so it will come off soon...

Thanks for all the input everyone.
    73% of all statistics are made up.

~Disc~Golf~
    lookin' sharp
    wipe down that chain tho
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That cleaned up very nicely. Have fun riding it!

Members who have read this thread: 0