Help me decide!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Help me decide!

mtbr member
    May 2014

Help me decide!

I am looking into my first full suspension bike. I currently own a Giant Talon which is great, but i believe a FS is necessary to further improve my skills, especially with the new Bell Built grant downhill trails we just recently got here in Knoxville. My budget is roughly $1800, no more than $1900.
    I have narrowed down my choices to the following

- COMMENCAL 2016 | META AM V3 ORIGIN ROCKSHOX 2016
    - https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...er-650b/115339
    - COMMENCAL 2016 | META TRAIL 650B RIDE ORANGE 2016
    - https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...3/22206/84046/
    - https://www.rei.com/product/893204/g...-275-bike-2016
    -http://www.konaworld.com/precept_120.cfm

I have test ridden the Specialized, Giant, Ghost and a Cannondale (which i hated). The Trance is most likely only an option if it gets discounted for the 2017 models, but I did like it the best. I can for sure get the Trance and Specialized from local shops and the Ghost from my local REI. I can most likely get the Kona through a local shop, but the Commencals i would have to order online. They do seem to be the best spec'd for the price however the downside is no test ride, although the geometry is relatively similar to the Trance.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    - 2014 Giant Talon 4
    - 2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 730

Life Is Short
    1. Kona--though their suspension isn't the best of the bunch, they track well and durable.
    Good thing---For resale in the future, Kona sell quickly
    Bad Thing---Isn't blingy at all
    2. Specialized---cant beat the decades old FSR suspension for climbing
    Bad thing---common as a B cupper at any college campus
    Good Thing--Looks blingy
    3. Giant---Maestro's been around the block for awhile, good design though attracts mud
    Good thing---Giant is giant and no matter where in the world, you get service
    Bad Thing---Ugly
    Cheap people buy things twice

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    1. Kona--though their suspension isn't the best of the bunch, they track well and durable.
    Good thing---For resale in the future, Kona sell quickly
    Bad Thing---Isn't blingy at all
    2. Specialized---cant beat the decades old FSR suspension for climbing
    Bad thing---common as a B cupper at any college campus
    Good Thing--Looks blingy
    3. Giant---Maestro's been around the block for awhile, good design though attracts mud
    Good thing---Giant is giant and no matter where in the world, you get service
    Bad Thing---Ugly
    Thanks for the info. The Giant and Specialized definitely felt the best on my test rides and the shops were both very friendly and helpful. I have read alot online and what I've gathered is that Specialized' FSR suspension with the brain technology is probably the best on the market in terms of eliminating both brake jack and pedal bob, with Giant being relatively close.
    - 2014 Giant Talon 4

Life Is Short
    Specialized FSR technology (very old but still viable) eliminated brake jack since the late 90's. The rear triangle pivot located on the lower chain stay is the key. As with faux 4 bar links, the pivots are located on the yoke right above the chain stay pivot. Anyone (unless licensed) who puts a pivot on the chain stay is up for a big lawsuit from Specialized.

As for the brain shock, thats just icing on the cake. Any rear shock with or without lockout on a FSR designed frame will be fine. I had a non lock out rear shock on a FSR designed frame and it didn't bob much while climbing, however later on I bought a Marzocchi Roco from eBay and fixed that.
    Cheap people buy things twice

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Yeah, chances are both the shock and fork will be upgraded in the future on any bike i go with. The Specialized did ride very nice, however I am going to visit a few more local shops and ride the Kona and possibly a Scott and decide from there. Thanks again for the replies and info!
    - 2014 Giant Talon 4