Help me choose my first bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Help me choose my first bike

Hello,

I recently got into MTB and I love it! I want to have my own bike. I'm going to buy a used bike below $1000 because I can't dish out more than that right now as I'm a college student. I want the bike to be good for all conditions/terrain. I don't see myself modding it so I want it to come with good components from factory.

Bikes I'm considering:
    -Giant Trance
    -Specialized Stumpjumper
    -Trek Fuel ex (lower models)

What bikes to you guys recommend me looking at?

Thanks

T.W.O.
    I don't know where you are but you can use this link to do the search
    http://bike.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/bike.c...=d&submit=+GO+

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Not sure that any of those are withen your budget, the cheapest trance (X4) is about 1500 at best without taxes, stumpjumper is about 2000 without. Before you start looking for bikes make a list of what you'll be using it for. For me it was a split between road and trail so I ended up with a hardtail since I had no use for a full suspension bike. Only consider FS if you're main use will be trails or off-road riding. If you're considering a hardtail take a look at the Giant XTC 2 29er - thats what I ride - though its around 300 above your budget. Also, the Cube Attention, Giant Revel 0, Felt Q620 or Q720 are also great bikes.

P.S Take a look at a site like cycle solutions or another retail site that lists a bunch of bikes, click on a category, press lowest to high (price), and look at your options. It gives you a good idea of the bikes within your budget. For the most part, if you're comparing a hardtail to a FS bike that are listed at a similar price, the hardtail will have better specs, so I suggest you buckle down and ask yourself if you really need one, or just want one because they look 'cooler'; not saying you're that shallow, but that was definitely a factor when I was picking out my bike.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by nikojan View Post
    Not sure that any of those are withen your budget, the cheapest trance (X4) is about 1500 at best without taxes, stumpjumper is about 2000 without. Before you start looking for bikes make a list of what you'll be using it for. For me it was a split between road and trail so I ended up with a hardtail since I had no use for a full suspension bike. Only consider FS if you're main use will be trails or off-road riding. If you're considering a hardtail take a look at the Giant XTC 2 29er - thats what I ride - though its around 300 above your budget. Also, the Cube Attention, Giant Revel 0, Felt Q620 or Q720 are also great bikes.

P.S Take a look at a site like cycle solutions or another retail site that lists a bunch of bikes, click on a category, press lowest to high (price), and look at your options. It gives you a good idea of the bikes within your budget. For the most part, if you're comparing a hardtail to a FS bike that are listed at a similar price, the hardtail will have better specs, so I suggest you buckle down and ask yourself if you really need one, or just want one because they look 'cooler'; not saying you're that shallow, but that was definitely a factor when I was picking out my bike.
    I think he said used bikes

Quote Originally Posted by dangerzone9k View Post
    Hello,

I recently got into MTB and I love it! I want to have my own bike. I'm going to buy a used bike below $1000 because I can't dish out more than that right now as I'm a college student. I want the bike to be good for all conditions/terrain. I don't see myself modding it so I want it to come with good components from factory.

Bikes I'm considering:
    -Giant Trance
    -Specialized Stumpjumper
    -Trek Fuel ex (lower models)

What bikes to you guys recommend me looking at?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    I think he said used bikes
    If you can find a used bike thats listed for half off the listed price then go for it. Just keep in mind, it's used meaning parts of it will be much more likely to fail and you won't have that precious warranty. Plus you most likely wont find this years model for that markdown meaning the components will be older which you won't learn to appreciate until you're deep into the sport (rebound on your fork, lockout that can be changed while you ride, etc..)

EDIT: Either way, if you choose to go with a used bike just upgrade the model that I listed and you should still have a great bike (Q820 instead of 720, etc..)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    You could always try to get a "last-years-model" from a LBS. I saw a 2010 Stumpjumper for $1500. Still not within price range, but it's not a bad idea. That way at least you have the LBS for support and warranty. I don't know where you are, but my LBS is a bike store in the summer and ski/snowboard in the winter. They always have massive clearouts in fall.

T.W.O.
    First of all the new trance is not 1500+tax it's about $1050 in some place that starts the July sales already. Wheelworld is a bit more at around $1200. Op, expressed that he has 1k to spend and know exactly what he wants which is rare. Buying used requires some homework but it can be done. The up side of buying used bike is some owners already done some upgrades to the bike.

I've not heard of cycle solutions can you send a link? The only thing I can see is the Harley parts website. What you have listed is nice but it's not an option for op who has limited funds and realistic about getting a used bike.

mtbr member
    First of all the new trance is not 1500+tax it's about $1050 in some place that starts the July sales already. Wheelworld is a bit more at around $1200. Op, expressed that he has 1k to spend and know exactly what he wants which is rare. Buying used requires some homework but it can be done. The up side of buying used bike is some owners already done some upgrades to the bike.

I've not heard of cycle solutions can you send a link? The only thing I can see is the Harley parts website. What you have listed is nice but it's not an option for op who has limited funds and realistic about getting a used bike.
    The trance for $1050...link please.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...x4/7321/44098/
    Like I said, it's listed at $1500.

Also, what part of "I recently got into MTB and I love it" and " I don't see myself modding it" gives the impression that he knows exactly what he wants. He listed 3 bikes, not the year and in some cases (just said trance, not X4,3,2,1) not even the model. Also, the options i've listed (felt, cube, etc..) are all around $700 without tax, clearly all well within his budget and brand new at that.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

T.W.O.
    The trance for $1050...link please.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...x4/7321/44098/
    Like I said, it's listed at $1500.

Also, what part of "I recently got into MTB and I love it" and " I don't see myself modding it" gives the impression that he knows exactly what he wants. He listed 3 bikes, not the year and in some cases (just said trance, not X4,3,2,1) not even the model. Also, the options i've listed (felt, cube, etc..) are all around $700 without tax, clearly all well within his budget and brand new at that.

Why do you need the link? Do you think that no such price exist?

First link the price went up $50 since the last time I saw it, it started at $999 google it.
    http://compare.ebay.com/like/3705232...=sbar&_lwgsi=y

Wheelworld
    http://wheelworld.com/product-list/b...008/?rb_br=118

And my LBS is quite competitive to wheelworld especially summer sales, they offer lifetime free tune up and $50 toward labor on bigger job, plus discount on accessories and parts.

There are many threads about Giant Trance X and price of lbs sales posted on different threads, you should search it then you'll know. Some of the Lbs sales would be pretty good at this time, since OP listed Nova as his region I didn't want to go there with specific locations.

OP asked about 3 specific bikes which he hope to get used within his budget, I offer the link to help him out. He has to do his own home work from there. Then you showed up telling him he's going to spend almost twice his budget like it was your best effort.

What have you done to contribute to this thread beside giving condescending advise and generic advice on how to compare the price. I found cheaper price on google search that took less than a second compare to your cheapest Trance without tax

As for your suggestion, are you tarded? he gave 3 fs bikes you best offer is 3 brand new hardtails at $700

Just because you just spent an arm and a leg on your hardtail does not mean everyone likes the same thing.

mtbr member
    Why do you need the link? Do you think that no such price exist?

First link the price went up $50 since the last time I saw it, it started at $999 google it.
    http://compare.ebay.com/like/3705232...=sbar&_lwgsi=y

Wheelworld
    http://wheelworld.com/product-list/b...008/?rb_br=118

And my LBS is quite competitive to wheelworld especially summer sales, they offer lifetime free tune up and $50 toward labor on bigger job, plus discount on accessories and parts.

There are many threads about Giant Trance X and price of lbs sales posted on different threads, you should search it then you'll know. Some of the Lbs sales would be pretty good at this time, since OP listed Nova as his region I didn't want to go there with specific locations.

What have you done to contribute to this thread beside giving condescending advise and generic advice on how to compare the price. I found cheaper price on google search that took less than a second compare to your cheapest Trance without tax

As for your suggestion, are you tarded? he gave 3 fs bikes you best offer is 3 brand new hardtails at $700

Just because you just spent an arm and a leg on your hardtail does not mean everyone likes the same thing.
    Oh boy, you're making a great case for an age verification system being integrated into the sites registration. Also adding emoticons at the end of offensive comments only furthers the perception that you're an ass

The first bike you listed, the one that 'took a few seconds' to find on google and is listed at 1k is last years models, not this years, ergo irrelevant. The second is at some arbitrary bike shop that doesn't have an option for shipping. It's also listed above OP's budget, so its more of you just knit-picking on the exact amount I said he would be going over budget, not the fact that he wouldn't be going over. It's also a bit ironic when you consider "Just because you just spent an arm and a leg on your hardtail does not mean everyone likes the same thing", since my XTC 2 29er was the same price as the cheapest trance you've found, even if it is nowhere near to the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    OP asked about 3 specific bikes which he hope to get used within his budget, I offer the link to help him out. He has to do his own home work from there.
    Again, listing the brand of bike and in no case model doesn't qualify as being specific. Also, the only question in OP's thread was "What bikes to you guys recommend me looking at?"

Then you showed up telling him he's going to spend almost twice his budget like it was your best effort.
    I told him the bikes he was considering were above his budget, stump is listed at 2k, the lowest model trance (which by the way he didn't even say he wanted, for all we know he would have been aiming for the X1) as I've shown is almost certainly going to cost him $1500.

He said he was looking for a used bike at 1000, last time I checked second hand owners don't charge taxes so $700 plus taxes and misc. items he's going to need, bottle cage, bottle, pump with adapter since it seems to be his first real mountain bike ("I recently got into MTB"), etc.. would equal out to about 1000.

Anyways, I'm not going to waste my time with this thread any longer so feel free to bash my advice all you want. Just keep in mind that he asked for advice on which bike he should get, not some random link to a site that helps him find a bike he's uncertain he even wants. If anything you've done more of a diservice to the OP since most viewers will now see this entire thread as a flame war and be hesitant to post...

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    Sorry, didn't read the banter going on, just your first post and will give my $0.02 on the bikes youm listed. They're all very decent bikes and should come with quite decent parts. I personally owned a Giant trance and it was a fantastic bike, pedalled very well and handled extreemly well. I also have riden a trek EX and it also handled and rode quite well, although I didn't think the suspension was as good as the Trance. Have not riden the SJ more than around a drive way, but thought it pedalled OK as well.

Either way, you've listed 3 very good bikes, from 3 big name manufacturers, just make sure if buying used you check over the bikes very carefully for cracks and dings and if possible take someone along who has been around bikes a bit longer and has more experience in parts and overall bike condition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

T.W.O.
    He said he was looking for a used bike at 1000, last time I checked second hand owners don't charge taxes so $700 plus taxes and misc. items he's going to need, bottle cage, bottle, pump with adapter since it seems to be his first real mountain bike ("I recently got into MTB"), etc.. would equal out to about 1000.

Anyways, I'm not going to waste my time with this thread any longer so feel free to bash my advice all you want. Just keep in mind that he asked for advice on which bike he should get, not some random link to a site that helps him find a bike he's uncertain he even wants. If anything you've done more of a diservice to the OP since most viewers will now see this entire thread as a flame war and be hesitant to post...
    Why stop there he'd also need hydration pack, protective gears, cyclo computer, bike rack systems, sunglass, ya da blah ect. He asked a specific question I showed him where to start. If he has more questions he may ask later.

Bash your advice? lol. OP said he's looking for a used bike give 3 models hoping to get most bang for his buck, my first post to him address that since I don't know his location I gave him a link for CL and eBay combine he can start there.

Your first post just told him a new bike's retail price is out of his price range and suggested some hardtail, clearly not what he's asking for. I pointed out that he's looking for a used bike with budget in mind. Then you went on and spewed about no warranty and service plus used parts would fail, wtf.

There are deals all over but it's specific to location and added shipping cost is just stupid when you have a lower budget to begin with that's why my link would let him sort by states or specific location that he can go and test out the bike, did you even look at the link? I didn't want to there until needed.

For a newbie with limited info, you are already act like an elitist who know what best for him You started this unnecessary banter just because you have the need for op to do what you want, grow up

AZ
    banned
    Looks like its your turn mimi, I feel for ya.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Looks like its your turn mimi, I feel for ya.
    ha ha, ain't that true. Thanks AZ it made my day

mtbr member
    Why stop there he'd also need hydration pack, protective gears, cyclo computer, bike rack systems, sunglass, ya da blah ect. He asked a specific question I showed him where to start. If he has more questions he may ask later.
    What do you mean why stop there? I purchased my bike not long ago and what I listed were the parts that I assumed would come with the bike but didn't. The bottle and cage are obviously needed, unlike a hydration system, and the a pump...do I really need to explain the difference between a pump and a cyclo computer in terms of necessity?

Bash your advice? lol. OP said he's looking for a used bike give 3 models hoping to get most bang for his buck, my first post to him address that since I don't know his location I gave him a link for CL and eBay combine he can start there.

Your first post just told him a new bike's retail price is out of his price range and suggested some hardtail, clearly not what he's asking for. I pointed out that he's looking for a used bike with budget in mind. Then you went on and spewed about no warranty and service plus used parts would fail, wtf.
    This conversation isn't so drawn out that I need you to reiterate and reinterpret what I said, if I want to know what I said I'll scroll up and read it. Also, "spewed", really, what specific part of my comment made you think I spewed anything. You need to calm down, reread my comment and realize that it wasn't a personal attack on you. I warned him that there's a chance that parts on the bike will break since it's older and used and that he would have to pay out of hand to fix them, since it doesn't come with a warranty. And don't put words in my mouth, i didn't say "used parts would fail" I said they are more likely to fail.

There are deals all over but it's specific to location and added shipping cost is just stupid when you have a lower budget to begin with that's why my link would let him sort by states or specific location that he can go and test out the bike, did you even look at the link? I didn't want to there until needed.
    I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

For a newbie with limited info, you are already act like an elitist who know what best for him You started this unnecessary banter just because you have the need for op to do what you want, grow up
    I'm guessing you don't know what the word elitist means...

My thought process was, when I started out I also assumed that I wanted a FS without a doubt, then I started to do my research and found out that It cost more and usually came with worse specs compared to hardtails at a similar price. If you look at some of my first posts they can attest to that, you'll also see that I asked about used bikes in a thread where I got the same answer that I echoed to the OP, if you don't have experience you might miss something like a crack in the frame or outdated parts without knowing it, the warranty issue was also brought up. Also, to say I started this banter is a bit of a stretch, you commented on my posts, not the other way around... I made four posts in this thread, all with information useful to the OP, you made 6, most of which were attacks on my posts and you still haven't proven me wrong on a single thing ive said, oh great 'elitist'... I'm sorry I stepped out of line, I forgot that unless you've been riding a bike for more then a year or have in excess of 2k posts you aren't allowed to give advice on this board lol, advice that you've just spent in excess of a month researching...

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

T.W.O.
    I forgot that unless you've been riding a bike for more then a year or have in excess of 2k posts you aren't allowed to give advice on this board lol, advice that you've just spent in excess of a month researching...
    You are right, your advice was a sound and logical one, it may be different that OP's OP but it filled in the blank for new riders. OP should take all account into consideration, Happy trail

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I found a bike using seachtempest.com. It's a 2009 Trek Fuel ex 8 and the seller wants $800. I was wondering how this bike stacks up against a 08 Trance. Which bike would you guys choose? Pros/Cons?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I found a bike using seachtempest.com. It's a 2009 Trek Fuel ex 8 and the seller wants $800. I was wondering how this bike stacks up against a 08 Trance. Which bike would you guys choose? Pros/Cons?

Thanks!
    I'm still a newb myself, but that sounds like a pretty good deal. Have you had a chance to look at it? Check what condition it's in and what-not? And most importantly, does it fit?

T.W.O.

Thanks!
    Not bad at all, Trek ABP is pretty good it's a modified SinglePivot, with and added benefit of active suspension during braking. The difference is pretty in your face. Too bad the bike is one year shy of having a DCRV shock as 2010 model, it would have been an easy decision.

Trance's Maestro design is awesome everywhere on the trail. It climbs and descend really well, pedaling is firm everywhere out of the corner on the climb, and sprinting. The bb tends to drop less than any other suspension design during acceleration similar to DW link design.

Do you have a list of the components on each used bike or it's stock?

Both bike are predominately XC than AM so they share similar geometry. If the price is the same I'd go with Trek it's their second year with ABP and much of the first season kinks has been improved, the 08' Giant trance was the first year on the face lift back then the frame was on the heavy side compare to the current Trance X,(the trance only has 4 instead of 5 on the X model), at about the same price point.

Try them out see which one fit you best, bike fit is the most important.
    Good luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm going to check out the fuel ex 8 and hopefully lower the price a little bit. I may upgrade to the DRCV shock. Yeah both bikes are stock. Thanks for your help!

T.W.O.
    I'm going to check out the fuel ex 8 and hopefully lower the price a little bit. I may upgrade to the DRCV shock. Yeah both bikes are stock. Thanks for your help!

I doubt that you can the DCRV shock is custom valve to a specific bike, same tech applied to Gary fisher's bike. I tested a Roscoe1 and was told that the valve are custom tune to each trim a la 1,2,3. Don't worry about it just ride it as is. Trying to upgrade would only messing with set up that was already optimized for your frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Can I upgrade the rear shock to something else that is better than the air can?

T.W.O.
    Can I upgrade the rear shock to something else that is better than the air can?
    If it's my bike and I want to improve the shock performance I'd send the shock in to push instead of getting coil. It's a sure performance boost, cheaper and less headache than fitting/setting up a coil on the XC bike. If you feel that your shock may need the regular maintenance then sending to push would be a good idea.

I would not sent it right off the bat, because you may not need to service the shock yet and you need to be able to tell push what you want your shock to do(preference wise). It takes some time to dial in a ride and figure out what improvement you want to see on your bike. Popular model like Trance X, and Fuel EX should be a walk in the park for them to tune it the way you like it.

I don't know what kind of shock you have on your current ride but in general air shock has come a long way, and it's much easier to set up than coil. Give it a rip first before making any changes, at least you'd know what you want to dial out of your ride.

mtbr member
    Mimi nailed in terms of the Maestro, damned good platform. $800 though for a '09 EX is a good deal, depending on which model it is, if it's the lowest, then not really too much savings and would hope it's in great condition as IIRC they sold for about $1400 new back then, if higher and in good condition definitely go for it. The one good thing the Trek's had over the Giant in the lower end models was that they used the RS shock which had lockout, whereas the Trance's did not.

Best advice is to definitely go pedal it about a bit and see how it feels, and better yet if you can take along a friend who knows something about bikes to check over the frame and parts and make sure something's not secretly lurking. IF you've got a cool LBS, you could ask them if you could bring it in and have them check it over if you don't have a friend to take laong.

Thanks!
    Not bad at all, Trek ABP is pretty good it's a modified SinglePivot, with and added benefit of active suspension during braking. The difference is pretty in your face. Too bad the bike is one year shy of having a DCRV shock as 2010 model, it would have been an easy decision.

Trance's Maestro design is awesome everywhere on the trail. It climbs and descend really well, pedaling is firm everywhere out of the corner on the climb, and sprinting. The bb tends to drop less than any other suspension design during acceleration similar to DW link design.

Do you have a list of the components on each used bike or it's stock?

Both bike are predominately XC than AM so they share similar geometry. If the price is the same I'd go with Trek it's their second year with ABP and much of the first season kinks has been improved, the 08' Giant trance was the first year on the face lift back then the frame was on the heavy side compare to the current Trance X,(the trance only has 4 instead of 5 on the X model), at about the same price point.

Try them out see which one fit you best, bike fit is the most important.
    Good luck
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

1st time poster with bike choice question here

Hey all...I'm a real newbie....this is my first post.
    Looking for some advice on which bike to purchase as my first mtb. I live in NYC and will do mostly pavement riding for fitness but want the option to take it to the trails and hit some singletrack, etc. I used to be an old motorcycle enduro rider and miss going off-road, hitting trails, bumps, logs, etc. I'm not looking to do anything outrageous (I'm an older dude) and I'm not going to be a hardcore off-rode rider. That said, in NYC, something that's beefy is in order to handle the urban elements.

Found the following 2 used bikes that I'm thinking about. Neither cost a ton of money but I don't want to spend a lot until I decide the time is right for me to do so.

here's what I'm looking at:
    98 Jamis Eureka
    2004 Gary Fisher Marlin.

Both are priced exactly the same. Which of these two do you recommend?

mtbr member
    For questions like these, posting up pics and info on the bikes will help you get answers as people don't like having to go looking for that stuff for you. That being said, this morning I'm feeling kind, so did go look and although I didn't find the 98 Jamis, found the 2000 and if the parts spec is the same then I'd pick that over the GF - also looks nice IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by nikiddawg View Post
    Hey all...I'm a real newbie....this is my first post.
    Looking for some advice on which bike to purchase as my first mtb. I live in NYC and will do mostly pavement riding for fitness but want the option to take it to the trails and hit some singletrack, etc. I used to be an old motorcycle enduro rider and miss going off-road, hitting trails, bumps, logs, etc. I'm not looking to do anything outrageous (I'm an older dude) and I'm not going to be a hardcore off-rode rider. That said, in NYC, something that's beefy is in order to handle the urban elements.

Found the following 2 used bikes that I'm thinking about. Neither cost a ton of money but I don't want to spend a lot until I decide the time is right for me to do so.

here's what I'm looking at:
    98 Jamis Eureka
    2004 Gary Fisher Marlin.

Both are priced exactly the same. Which of these two do you recommend?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for replying and doing the extra work.
    Tried to post a link to the Jamis on bikepedia

I don't think it worked tho

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    New in '98, the Jamis msrp was about $950.
    The gf in '04 was about $450.
    The main concern is the age of the frame. Re components - given a 6 year difference would they be more equal? In the end though, for my limited purposes, does any of this matter so much? I know only I can answer that one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I went from thinking of getting a Giant Trance and now I ended up with a 06' Giant Boulder..lmao. I figured it's peak season right now and not that many people want to get rid of their bikes right now. So, I just bought some crap bike for the time being. Being my first mountain bike I will experience the trails and upgrade my bike during winter. At least the 06' boulder looks like a 06' Trance w/o the FS. I plan to take off all the paint and show only bare aluminum and slap on a Giant sticker on the frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Update..

So, I didn't purchase the boulder because that bike was 70 miles away from me. I just found a 09' Trance x4 and talked to the owner and I'm going to purchase it tomorrow. This bike is 2 hours away from me but its going to be worth it! I'll post up pics when I get it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This is my bike... What mods should I do in the future? Like what's the best mod that I can do?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me choose my first bike-giant-005.jpg  

Help me choose my first bike-giant-006.jpg  

No good in rock gardens..
    The best "mods" are to adjust the suspension to suit your weight. Then set the saddle height correctly and ride it, and see if the bar height and reach and saddle angle suits you. In other words, make it fit you and make it comfortable. Also, play around with tyre pressures, until you find a pressure that suits your terrain, riding style and the tyres.

Later on, with more saddle time you will soon detect areas that really need to be changed to improve the bike - many folks change saddles, grips, tyres and handlebars. But it's the sort of thing you do after a bit of saddle time, to find out just what really needs doing as opposed to changing parts for reasons of glamour or "bling."
    Less isn't MOAR