Help me build an awesome E-bike!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Help me build an awesome E-bike!

Hey guys I'm a long time reader first time poster!

Here is my current setup

You can read my build post on the end-less sphere EV forum!

Anyways this current setup sucks because it lacks suspension. I run the big 2.5 at 20psi, and they really soak up small bumps. But I need a front suspension for the time when I hit a pot hole going 35mph.

I want to integrate the batteries into the triangle for my next build. I don't have a car and sometimes have to leave my bike (and my $1000 battery) exposed to the elements while in class.

Also the handling is awful with 20lbs of batteries on the rear rack. And it takes up room for groceries!

Like this, but more bicycle and less motorcycle

Since I'm a college student I'm looking on craigslist for a perfect next bike:

1) A typical 90's mtn. triangle. With strait tubes! It needs to have a lot of room for batteries and electronics. Probably a 22" frame.
    2) Chromoly would be nice, since I'll be traveling fast and carrying 50lbs of batteries.
    3) Tire clearance for 2.5 hook worms + fenders. (They barely fit my hardrock)
    4) Disc compatibility, or cable stays for v-brakes. Although I could just run the housing all the way to the brake, so it's not a big deal.

It seems this style of frame went out of vogue before disc brakes became standard. That's fine because most of my braking is done though regeneration with the motor. But discs would be nice because it allows you to use different sized wheels. Smaller wheels are torquier, allow a low standover height, and make it easier to fit wider tires.

This bike is $150 and down the road from my house. But it only accepts 2" tires in the rear! Bummer.

This thread has some good discussion about FS bikes with center mounted batteries, and handling at high speeds.

But I digress;
    All I need is a steel frame mountain bike with straight tubes, 2.5 inches of tire clearance, and plenty of room for a custom battery box.

Like this, but I can't afford a FS bike

TRANCER
    wow all those bikes you posted really hurt my eyes. I think im going to be having nightmares after this
    Ride

Texan
    Bikes with motors?

AZ
    banned

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm sorry. If you can't see the practicality of a light electric vehicle, I don't know what to tell you.

You can stare down your nose at me, but the fact remains that I spend more time in the saddle in a month than you do all year. I clocked 2000 miles in the last two months. You probably take your SUV to the bike trails.

I don't want to piss people off here. I just wanted to share some cool ebikes, and ask for help with mountain bikes.

tough guy

No good

easy to say when you have 20 lbs of batteries doing the work for you

Quote Originally Posted by auraslip
    I clocked 2000 miles in the last two months.

AZ
    banned
    but the fact remains that I spend more time in the saddle in a month than you do all year. I clocked 2000 miles in the last two months. You probably take your SUV to the bike trails. [/U]

Bring it flatlander .

EDIT: I pedal all of my miles ,

tough guy
    2000 miles over 2 months is 32.8 miles a day. go over to the commuter forum and say that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Uhg
    This reminds me of how I heard of this party from my friends. I went looking for it because I thought my friends were there. The party I found was a toga party. I didn't even get a chance to lock my bike up before some dude bro's came over all "who do you know here."

Long story short I blasted out of there with them chasing after me.

Now you guys aren't ignorant dude bros. You enjoy riding bikes on trails. I enjoy riding my bikes on trails, but most of the time I just enjoy riding on the street. There is no need for this, "my hobby is more legit than your hobby."

AZ
    banned
    From : http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geupqu7H...y.babylon.com/

Babylon English
    two-wheeled vehicle operated by pedaling

You can also refer to my sig . line .

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Alright.

I'll repost with all mention of electrified bikes removed.

Happy?

AZ
    banned
    Alright.

I'll repost with all mention of electrified bikes removed.

Happy?

Can we talk about riding bikes ?

EDIT: Welcome to the board .

Proud Snob
    Apr 2009

You can stare down your nose at me, but the fact remains that I spend more time in the saddle in a month than you do all year. I clocked 2000 miles in the last two months. You probably take your SUV to the bike trails.
    You would be wrong on both counts.

My hobby is more legit than your hobby.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You brought this on yourself. This is a moutain bike forum. We actually pedal our bikes. What you have is basically an electric moped. I doubt your moped could even make it up a steep hill offroad. Then to say you have more saddle time is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Its like me saying I have more saddle time in my car then you do on your moped. Do you realize that there are people who actually commute on bikes that they have to pedal?
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i understand both sides of the argument, although i do ride my bike under my own power, i refuse to permently set my bike up as a full time electric, and i refuse to go out and buy another bike to set up as electric, mostly because im a frugal bastard, but i have considered building a electric push trailer i can add or remove at will, you know a little extra help when hauling groceries or supplies from the hardware store, ,.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    This thread rules.......

Motorized bike questions........
    '11 Redline MonoCog Flight 29er
    '10 Windsor Cliff 29er SS
    '09 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    really ef'n ugly bikes,when i heard "awesome e bike" i was thinking of something like that fake electric assist in the "bike doping" video. 32 miles a day 16 each way,not even worth the trouble. i've thought of building an electric long skateboard for sonmething like that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    +1 on really ef'n ugly bikes,when i heard "awesome e bike" i was thinking of something like that fake electric assist in the "bike doping" video. 32 miles a day 16 each way,not even worth the trouble. i've thought of building an electric long skateboard for sonmething like that.

Members who have read this thread: 0