help: how many inches of rear travel?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

help: how many inches of rear travel?

if this has been covered before, please forgive me, probably used the wrong search strings.

have a HT as a do all bike. Trail, light dh and dj, but not particularly good rider - started proper mtb rather late in life - 34+ That was a few year ago though. I now have a weak left knee from old age and injuries. Been procrastinating for a long time but it looks like time for a fs. Any recommendations for travel I should go for? I am mainly looking at the maestro for the 4" and dw link for 4", 5" and 6" bikes only at this point since I tried a mate's spesh enduro and did not like it. I have also had a go at another mate's reign and that felt a lot more solid. So, how much travel should I go for 4, 5 or 6 and still do all I am doing just now on my do all HT? Main riding I do lately seems to be dj (very small stuff) and light dh. Thanks.

Freshly Fujified

Go with 5 or 6 inches.

Given what you've laid out, I would go with 5 or 6 inches of travel. It should be enough to accommodate the DJ/DH stuff, yet sill pedal effectively.

Bob

P.S. I have taken the liberty of changing the subject in your title, as the previous title would have just caused too many issues with sexual innuendo and flaming.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks Call_me_Clyde (or should I just say Clyde?) that was quick. Looks like my choices have been whittled down to only the MkIII from my list of bikes. Now to find a demo bike to try. This could be a toughie.

Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Given what you've laid out, I would go with 5 or inches of travel. It should be enough to accommodate the DJ/DH stuff, yet sill pedal effectively.

Bob

P.S. I have taken the liberty of changing the subject in your title, as the previous title would have just caused too many issues with sexual innuendo and flaming.

Bob

El Pollo Diablo
    I'm with Mr. P re: a bottle rocket, though think that OP could get away with 'only' 5 inches, no sweat.

mtbr member
    go 6"... will be a good mini DH bike and still capable for DJ and pedalable...

mtbr member
    might i suggest a bottle rocket?
    http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/BottleRocket.cfm

better geometry for jumping...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    mrpercussive and SnowMongoose,

thanks for your suggestions. After living with a ht I think 5" might be plenty enough but I will check out 6" travel too. The BR is just too much bike for me from what I have read in the forums. Thanks.

mtbr member
    a dj or fr or dh bike is not just the amount of travel... a lot has to do with the geometry as well... The IH MKIII is more of an AM bike... It will handle some abuse and will be pretty good as decending. But it's more of a jack of all trades...

Members who have read this thread: 0