• 12-05-2009
    ccl117
    Help! Ex-Rider Looking To Get Back Into MB'ing, Need Help On Bike Choosing Bike...
    Greetings all,
    I first started mountain biking with neighborhood friends back in 1990 (first bike was a old Mongoose Switchback hybrid before upgrading to a Cannondale), and my love of riding grew to the point of riding 40+ mile rides 2-3 times a week and entering some local races. Unfortunately work commitments got in the way and I fell out of the sport circa 2001. I recently moved to VA, and have caught the bug to get back into riding. I don't have a mountain bike anymore (gave my Cannondale with full Suntour Micro-Drive components and a first generation Manitou elastomer suspension fork to my cousin :-), and wanted to ask the forum for some advice.

In looking at the bike options out there, I have narrowed my choices to four types of bikes, all from the same manufacturer (Motobecane; I know there are some different viewpoints on the company, but I have been very impressed with what I have read from people who own and ride them, plus the cost can't be beat). My options were narrowed to four bike models:

1. Aluminum frame 26"er with the best components (XTR)
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...fly_team_x.htm

2. Titanium frame 29"er (XTR)
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...TI_29_2010.htm

3. Titanium frame 26"er (cheaper than the 29", but slightly lower quality components) (XT/SLX)
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...e/fpti_09x.htm

4. Full suspension 26"er with decent components (XTR)
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ntom_teamX.htm

I am 6'2" and 215lbs, and will be riding primarily XC type trails in VA, nothing too crazy from a DH or technical perspective. My goal is to find the best quality bike I can for the price point ($2000 or less) that will be durable and allow me to just focus on getting outside and riding. My options seem to be between a aluminum, titanium, full susp, or 29" titanium frame bike. Any thoughts from the forum would be greatly appreciated, as well as any options that aren't listed above. Thanks in advance for your help, and I look forward to getting back on the trail. cheers
  • 12-05-2009
    Dremer03
    After a bit of comparison, I have determined that out of all 4 of those you should put the Fly Team 29er on the top of your list, with the Fantom Pro Ti 26er as your second. The other 2 bikes have a much more race bike setup with the gearing. They both max out with 27T largest cog cassettes which might not suit you as a rider. The 29er has a 34T and a 32T on the Ti 26er.
  • 12-05-2009
    AZ
    Dont base your choise solely on gearing , the cassette is easily changed . If you want plush full suspension then you have one listed , the others are all xc hard tails , 2 ti , 1 alu. I think the ti bikes are pretty good choises so it just a difference in wheel size . Most people who try 29 inch wheels love them , thats got to say something . IMHO the ti 29er looks like a winner , but itsjust an opinion. Good luck .
  • 12-05-2009
    ccl117
    Thank you both, excellent advice. Any other thoughts greatly appreciated, and thanks again
  • 12-06-2009
    dogonfr
    Good ol steel is always great. :thumbsup:

http://jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/h...npro_spec.html
  • 12-06-2009
    Dremer03
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Dont base your choise solely on gearing , the cassette is easily changed .

This is true. All you would need is a chain whip, cassette remover tool, and a new 9 speed cassette of your liking. Then tweak the derailleur to get the shifting right...could cost you as little as 50 or 60 dollars for some basic stuff.
  • 12-06-2009
    Ratt
    If price is the first consideration then of your choices I like the 29er but.... you have been out of the game for at least a full generation of bikes. I'd go to several LBS and demo ride a few bikes first, we've gone to longer toptubes, short stem, slacker headangles, wide range of rear suspension designs, and 29ers can have a funky fit.
  • 12-06-2009
    quietcornerrider
    One word of advice concerning bikesdirect. They have great prices, great shipping costs (FREE!), but on SOME bikes, the components are not guaranteed, or may not come as advertised. In not shady, as they list it right in the ad, but some people gloss over it. The reason it comes to mind, is my brother just got his road bike 3 days ago, and the cassette was different, along with tires. Both were upgrades, granted, and we didn't complain, but when ordering from bikesdirect, wait to get the bike before deciding to change components, because you may not have to.
  • 12-06-2009
    Dremer03
    Quote:

Originally Posted by quietcornerrider
    One word of advice concerning bikesdirect. They have great prices, great shipping costs (FREE!), but on SOME bikes, the components are not guaranteed, or may not come as advertised. In not shady, as they list it right in the ad, but some people gloss over it. The reason it comes to mind, is my brother just got his road bike 3 days ago, and the cassette was different, along with tires. Both were upgrades, granted, and we didn't complain, but when ordering from bikesdirect, wait to get the bike before deciding to change components, because you may not have to.

Or email to confirm specs before ordering, or on the phone while ordering.
  • 12-06-2009
    trailville
    Those are all nice bikes, but you really need to think about your own personal preferences. There are many heated arguments on these forums over full-suspension versus hardtail and 29er versus 26er, so people telling you to get one over the other are really speaking to their own preferences, not yours.
    I'm personally not into the 29er thing, but at your height a 29er may be a reasonable consideration. At your weight though, I would be a little careful about getting the lightest bike out there. Bikesdirect does a really nice job of specing some very lightweight parts for there racing setups, but that may not be the best setup for a 200+ rider looking for a durable bike for recreational riding. Also, don't underestimate how aggressively you may be riding in the future. I do stuff today that I would never have considered 10 or 15 years ago. A lot of that is due to the capabilities of modern bikes combined with changes in the sport itself. Mountain biking has gotten a lot more fun in recent years. XT and SLX is pretty high quality stuff these days so don't feel you need to get XTR, and I think a Reba would be a better choice for you than a SID (though I'll admit I do own a SID).
  • 12-06-2009
    ccl117
    Again, great points all. Really giving me some additional points to consider, thank you all for the input. Great to see the community is still so committed to helping others, thank you all. Keep the points coming if you got them, thanks again and cheers.
  • 12-10-2009
    ccl117
    Hey gang, just wanted to let everyone know that I really valued all of your advice and took it to heart. Went to the LBS and test rode a few 29ers as well as traditional 26ers. As a result of my experience I ordered a new 2009 Motobecane FLY Team 29er Titanium bike last night from BikesDirect; they had one model left in my size (19") according to their website. Will let everyone know when it arrives and do a proper review. Thanks again, and cheers.
  • 12-10-2009
    Dremer03
    Very nice choice, I think you will enjoy it very much.
  • 12-10-2009
    AZ
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ccl117
    Hey gang, just wanted to let everyone know that I really valued all of your advice and took it to heart. Went to the LBS and test rode a few 29ers as well as traditional 26ers. As a result of my experience I ordered a new 2009 Motobecane FLY Team 29er Titanium bike last night from BikesDirect; they had one model left in my size (19") according to their website. Will let everyone know when it arrives and do a proper review. Thanks again, and cheers.

Awesome , keep us posted with a ride report . :thumbsup: