Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help on the Drivetrain needed. Building my first ride, on Salsa Fargo 2 build (2015)

781 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  markwienands 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I need some help, a look into my built list for the drivetrain would be helpful, but first...

A little backstory. I inherited an Orange P9 (UK hardtail 2009) on a Shimano build from my mother. I've been touring, bikepacking and commuting with this baby since and now it's time to build my first bicycle that I can spawn with a little bit of 'me'. All that hard research came down to a Salsa Fargo 2 (2015) on a Carbon Firestarter Rigid Fork. Hope it's a good choice because I already got the frame + fork.

Now I need the set up, but I'm stuck on the drivetrain. Basically my critical set-up that I'm looking into is as follows:

Frame Fargo 2 Framekit 2015
Levers/Shifter SRAM Apex DoubleTap, Set 2x10-speed
Crankset SRAM GX-1000 2x10, 36-22t, 175mm crank length
Cassette SRAM 1050, 10-speed, 11-36t, 11-13-15-17-19-22-25-28-32-36
Front Derailleur SRAM GX 10-speed, High Direct Mount
Rear Derailleur SRAM GX 2x10, Long
Brake SRAM Avid BB7 Mountain S, Mechanical
Bottom Bracket 73mm BSA, Threaded ?????

Is this a good build? I'm used to the Shimano stuff here living in Asia but I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone and get the SRAM build. I really like their 2x10 teeth options and the DoubleTap shifter/brake levers. They look pretty cool as well. However, the bottom brackets made by SRAM are rather questionable from the reviews all over the internet. Am I better off with other brands for the BB, if they are compatible at all on the SRAM cranksets? I've heard good things about the Shimanos BB, can I use this with the SRAM crankset?

What do you guys think about the SRAM build? Am I better siding with the Shimano stuff.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.