Help Deciding on budget HT for beginner- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Help Deciding on budget HT for beginner

Hey everyone. I have been perusing the site for the past couple hours and finally decided to make my own thread. Here is the checklist from the sticky:
    1) Your budget: I want to keep it under $500, but under $400 would be even better.
    2) What bikes, if any, are you already considering?: Forge 5xx, Specialized hardrock/rockhopper
    3) What type of riding do you intend to do?: Road riding and trail riding. Nothing crazy yet.
    4) Do you have a preference over a hardtail or full suspension? HT
    5) Age, weight and height: 19, 210, 6'0", 32" inseam for pants.
    6) What sources will you consider buying from?: anywhere as long as the bike is a good deal.
    7) Do you want people to offer you alternative suggestions to issues such as budget, bikes already considered: Of course.

So there it is. I am now riding an older mongoose that I am tired of. I started riding more for exercise but I like it and want to get a nice bike that fits me so i can start off-roading too. My buddy has a 7 year-old rockhopper that he has beat on and it's still an absolutely awesome bike. That's the main reason I started looking at specialized.
    Now I am all over that Forge 5xx, the price is awesome!
    Other brands i have seen at the LBS is Jamis...the guy showed me the durango 2, but it's just too expensive.
    I am definetely a newbie on all things bikes so any help would be appreciated. I want to get the best "bang for my buck."
    Thanks in advance everyone.

mtbr member
    I used to have a Cannondale F300 with a headshok and that thing rode really sweet. Those are great bikes if you can find one used and in good condition. Very stiff and the front fork/shock is really light. To get the most bang for your buck I recommend searching Ebay. Another good place to look is www.bikesdirect.com. They will have several bikes in your price range that would cost you double the price at a bike shop. Good luck.

local trails rider
    Can you get test rides on the bikes that you are considering? Even just a spin in the parking lot is better than nothing to find out if the bike fits you and behaves the way you like it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    That bikesdirect place has some pretty good deals on those motobecane. I like the 700HT on sale for 449.95. Still a bit expensive though. The only LBS i know of right now is the one i go to for tune-ups on my bike and my friends bike. They are the ones that carry mostly Jamis. I am going to go to another one that is a little bigger within the next few days to check out some other bikes, mainly specialized.
    The more I keep reading the forums and checking bike specs, for the money, nothing can seem to touch the Forge Sawback 5xx. I haven't seen anyone speak badly about it. I really want to pull the trigger but am still skeptical because of the fact that it is so (relatively) inexpensive!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have a couple of Forge Bikes and really dig them, excellent frame / specs for the price. And considering from what we see with 08's coming out Forge is even a better buy! Don't forget to get an extra 10% by googling "target.com coupons". This is a no brainer...

PS: I have the Forge Sawback 5xx and M Street....

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    After some more looking around, i noticed the Diamondback Response Comp's being on sale at the sports authority. 499 with 25% off. I happen to be an employee, so i get another 25% on top. I also have a $50 gift card to boot so the bike will come out to like $250. Seems like a steal.
    Problem is, the only store that has one is 45 minutes from my house. I have the bike on hold for tomorrow morning though.
    Now, it seems like a hell of a deal, but I wouldn't mind paying some more for something substantially better. the other bike catching my eye is the forge 5xx.

My main question, can anyone compare these two bikes? Even if you have never seen/ridden them, as far as specs alone? I am still kind of new to this so i am having trouble comparing, for example, SRAM xr-7 FD/RD to Deore, BB-5 to Hayes MX2 brakes, Dart 1 to MZ Comp fork, etc.
    The sale ends tomorrow on the diamondbacks, so any help ASAP would be awesome!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm going through the search process as well, so I'm a n00b too, but I think the sram components would be pretty nice x.5=deore, x.7=LX (roughly), and there seems to be a preference for SRAM. I would like to check out one of those DBs if I can find one around here.

But I'm pretty heavy and I live in Colorado, so I'm really leaning towards hydraulic disc brakes. I'm also kind of falling for the Gary Fisher geometry, so I'm leaning towards the Pirahna or Tass. (At much more $$$)

The other big thing I'm focusing on is the fork. Being a big guy (220), I would apparently really benefit from having an air fork, or I would have to upgrade the springs in coil. The Tass is the only bike I've found that comes with an air fork at about $820.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh314
    the other bike catching my eye is the forge 5xx.

My main question, can anyone compare these two bikes? Even if you have never seen/ridden them, as far as specs alone?
    The sale ends tomorrow on the diamondbacks, so any help ASAP would be awesome!
    I have a 5xx, am a newbie, and have not seen a Diamondback Response Comp in person. But looking at the specs, I would definitely give the edge to the Diamondback. With the sale and your employee discount it looks like a very good deal. Plus you can pick it up in person and make sure you like it before you buy.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you end up with.

Jon

Members who have read this thread: 0