help buying $1500-2k bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

help buying $1500-2k bike

I need a fs bike mainly for XC trails and the Texas Hill Country Area. I don't plan on taking any big jumps, but I do plan on using it on the street to exercise my dogs which I currently do on my Specialized BMX fatboy bike, which has held up great through the years. Perhaps in the future if I get into the sport I will want to race it for fun. I also need something strong since I weigh 220lbs(all muscle). The most important thing to me is to have the best frame possible with decent components for under 2k. I don't want to grow out of the frame but don't mind upgrading components later.
    I went to my closest LBS here in San Antonio and they were a Specialized, Giant, and SCruz dealer. They were nice and helpful and I recognize the advantages of buying from them over the internet. The bikes I liked there were the Epic http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12777 and the Stumpjumper FSR Comp http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12790. The Stumpjumper was a little more expensive at $1999, but they are going on sale soon which should bring the prize down to under 2k after tax which I prefer, is this a good prize? The Specialized dealer told me they have a lifetime warranty on their frames and imediate replacement if one breaks.
    On line I have found a few bikes I like that seem to be good deals. I like the Iron Horse Azure Expert(2005) at this fair prize http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID40386...pert-2005.aspx which would save me over $300 compared to the Specialized. I also checked out the IH Hollowpoint bikes but I read they break pretty often so I'm weary on them since I'm big bonned.. The last bike I need comparative advice on is the Mongoose Teocali Elite which has good reviews and good prize http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=3050#.

I'm open to any advise and brands as long as they meet my budget. I'm patient and will wait for a bargain if I have to. This board is great by the way.

Muhuhahaha
    Take a look at the Jamis Dakar I see good reviews on them everywhere and that is in your price range.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    A cdale prophet might fit the bill- there is a pretty good setup going used on ebay right now, or you could find a prophet 800 new for within your range.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    "The most important thing to me is to have the best frame possible with decent components for under 2k. I don't want to grow out of the frame but don't mind upgrading components later."

Among the bikes you mentioned, one meets all your requirements:

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp, proven fully-active suspension frame, better than decent components (Fox fork, Fox shock, Avid Juicy brakes), versatile (xc, trailbike), backed up by LBS = service warranty, good manufacturers replacement warranty (you may or may not need it but its good to know that its covered if ever...), and as you said - discounted price. What more would you look for?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ^^^^^^^ x2. I got one for 2 grand. It is an awesome bike. Its a real good climber and it handles the rough stuff equally well

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    My issue with Jamis bikes has been with the finish on many models...it wears all too easily.

The Epic would be a great bike for an XC / hill climbing fiend like myself who curbs out at 140 pounds (all muscle and bruises right now) but I would agree that the FSR Comp seems like the best deal as it meets and exceeds your current requirements and is a great bike.

I have seen and serviced a good number of old Specialized bikes and the one thing they have in common is that they hold up very well over many years of use and abuse and the folks I know who ride them, love them.

I was checking out an Epic the other day and was really quite thrilled with it's performance and it really warrants a longer / dirtier test ride.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    First of all, thanks for all the responses and help. I checked out the bikes y'all recomended at other LBS's and on line.

Now for some bad news. I found out I have to get surgery on my rotator cuff so I wont be trail riding for 4-6 months probably. I almost bought a discounted C'dale rush 1000 that had only been ridden a few times and came with a full warranty in my price range, before I knew the severity of my shoulder injury. I was leaning towards the 07 FSR comp until I found that great Rush deal at another local and friendly LBS. I also went to a Trek, Gary Fisher dealer and in my price range I really liked new GF hi-fi deluxe http://go-hifi.com/. That thing was light, pretty and fit me nice on my little parking lot ride. I liked it better than the Trek's at the same price range but I wanted a little more travel for my fat but.

Now for the good news! Once I found out about my surgery I decided to look around some more since I was in no hury. With the help of this forum and its members I came across a great deal on a Titus Motolite frame at Speedgoat, $975 shipped, not bad I pulled the trigger right on time as they are no longer on the website today. I also liked the Yeti 575 frame but the price on the Titus was great and the best part is there's a Titus dealer and rider 10 minutes from my house that can build my bike. The nearest Yeti dealer is over an hour away in Austin. I went with a frame since I can't ride for a while and I will have allot of fun bargain hunting for strong lite parts for my gray Motolite while I'm in a sling. And if I would of got the Rush or the Comp I know I wouldn't be able to resist to take it around the block with one arm and potentially injury myself worse So now I'm looking for a good 130mm fork.

Members who have read this thread: 0