mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Help on bike for purchase for son

My 11 year old son would like a new bike for his birthday present. He found this on e-bay:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...118919431&rd=1 He is dead set on disc brakes and I need to keep it around $300-$350. He loves to ride as he spends 90% of his spare time riding. He is currently on restriction for doing jumps on the teeter totter at the park. I don't pretend to know anything about bike construction or decent components. Any help or recommendations on this bike or another store/site/bike would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

There's no app for this.

here are some ideas for you

That Ebay bike is of the dept store variety. It's junk. Read this. You son is moving into a realm of needing safe dependable equipment, if he's living on his bike an starting to try tricks.

!) like shoes, fit is key; get the wrong fit and pain and injury happens. So deal with a trusted local bike store, who can help guide you and fit the bike right. And offer fit changes and service, sometimes for more than a year.

2) here's a benchmark bike for you: good solid parts that wont break, will deliver good performance, and you can get parts locally if you need them. It's list is $649 USD. As a father, I'd say it's a lot cheaper to have your kid riding and smiling than at the mall sourcing drugs. And he'll have a sport for life. just my opinion.

Anyhow, this bike here is a good place to start. Use it as a guide and check out other bikes like it from Specialized, Giant, or any brand name carried in your area.

Good luck, come back if you get stuck, Jim

mtbr member

JIm is right on this

IF you want to keep the price between 300-350 you wont get something of quality. If yourson is dead set on disc brakes, you wont get something for 300-350 new. Useed maybe, but then you're taking chances . IF you go to your Local bike shop and talk to them, they can probably sell you something for maybe 150-200 more that has good components and you dont have to worry about it breaking. Also buying from your local bike shop, you usually get free tune-ups for at least a year to 2 years. Can't beat that for an extra 100 or 200 bucks.
    You buy it on ebay, you pay for your tune ups and parts breaking.
    If you have a major credit card, another bike company you can save money on is Ibex bikes. Good bikes at a good price and I haven't read anything bad about them yet.
    This is what you can get for under 500 from Ibex. Apparently their customer service is amazing also.
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-550-Details.html

Freshly Fujified

Look at an '04 Giant Yukon

Quote Originally Posted by bayfritz
    My 11 year old son would like a new bike for his birthday present. He found this on e-bay:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...118919431&rd=1 He is dead set on disc brakes and I need to keep it around $300-$350. He loves to ride as he spends 90% of his spare time riding. He is currently on restriction for doing jumps on the teeter totter at the park. I don't pretend to know anything about bike construction or decent components. Any help or recommendations on this bike or another store/site/bike would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
    It's a decent entry level bike with Hayes discs. You may even find on'03 leftover and it should be in that $350.00 range.

Here's one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Keep on Rockin...

Not yet mentioned....

Check out the link from the poster above if you didn't; it's very good.

Something not yet mentioned...There are 11 year olds who will appreciated, maintain and utilize a nice bike. There are those however who will use it once and leave it out in the rain to rust and decay. If your son is the former...you can't get a "mountain bike" for $300. You will get a "bike shaped object" that at best will get you a few rides before it breaks, or at worst will catastrophically fail and result in serious injury. If your son is the latter the cheapo bike might be what you are looking for.

Also, time is more valuable than $$$. Expect to spend a lot time to keep that bike operational should your son decide to ride it on a regular basis.

Either way, get him a helmet.

Mike

There's no app for this.

yes but

Here's one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW[/QUOTE]

That's a 19" frame. Just a little large for the average 11 year old? He// I'm 5'11" and it's too big for me.

Perhaps you meant it as an example, but since fit is the most salient part of bike purchasing, I suggest Ebay is that last place to start. Again, just my .02, Jim

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Thanks!

Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions!

Dex
    mtbr member

Trek MT 220?

A few months ago at the LBS I bought my 11 yr old son a Trek MT 220 for just a little over 200 bucks. It's a good bike and my son really likes it and takes care of it. One thing I'm disapointed in is the bar and stem set up. It could have been designed better. I had to drill a hole and run a bolt through the stem to keep the bar sturdy. Trek had only put a small metal pin in to hold it inplace. I need to run it by the LBS and get a "real" stem for it. I've found this Zoom Adjustable Stem and wonder if this would fit.
    I see on the Trek site that they've change that on the 05 bikes. 2005 MT 220
    Well, enough of my rambling! Hope this info was maybe of some help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Noxubee Hills Trail System's FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noxube...8499244?v=wall

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Talk to the LBS about last year's models

Right now all of the '05's are coming out so cruise the local bike shops (LBS) for an '04. I did this with my 1st in an attempt to save some $$$. Yes it doesn't have the latest goodies on it but you can pick up a decent frame and as he breaks/wears out components (which everyone does) you can upgrade. keep in mind there are 2 types of discs, mechanical & hydraulic, the mechanicals are not as nice but they are cheaper & if you go with a good set they are worth the money.

Another source is to talk with bike stores that do rentals of mountian bikes, they are in the process of turning over their inventory and for the most part have been well maintained. Not as desireable as a new '04/'03 but still cheaper and more trusted than one off ebay. Lately the scamming has increased on ebay (see some of the threads posted on this site) so I'd be real leary of buying a bike off tebay unless it was local & you could view before buying.

Sorry to ramble but I've outfitted several bikers that were in the same situation as yourself so I figured I'd give my .02.

Good Luck, It's a great sport!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Bought an Ibex Ignition-1

Thanks for all the guidance and help. I just bought an Ibex Ignition 1.0 for $300 and its got the disc brakes he wants also. I'm sure its not the best as parts go, but for 300 bones the price is right. Again thanks for all help and quick replies.

Mike

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the guidance and help. I just bought an Ibex Ignition 1.0 for $300 and its got the disc brakes he wants also. I'm sure its not the best as parts go, but for 300 bones the price is right. Again thanks for all help and quick replies.

Mike
    You wont regret it... Ibex are good bikes for the money. I justchecked the components list and the frame is 7005 al. which is great, and has pretty decent derailleurs etc.
    The on;y thing I find abit low grade is the front and rear suspension. For an 11 year old, I think he'll be happy.

mtbr member

Iyo

Quote Originally Posted by spaz06
    keep in mind there are 2 types of discs, mechanical & hydraulic, the mechanicals are not as nice but they are cheaper & if you go with a good set they are worth the money.

Good Luck, It's a great sport!
    I've had both mechs and hydros... the mech made my hydros look like I had Flintstones type stopping power. I bled them, got them bled professionally, it just doesnt have the power to me that a Avid Mech has at all. I actually had a hydro on the front and rear, and took it off the rear and ran a Avid Arch Rival vee so I could stop when I had to. withthe hydros it just wouldn't happen.

Freshly Fujified

Nice choice

Mike
    I'm sure he'll love it. Keep an eye on the drive train, brakes and suspension components to ensure his safety. Be sure you teach your son the basics of preventative maintenance to get the most out of the set up. If he maintains it well, he may outgrow the frame before you need to do any serious upgrades. If not, do as the rest of us do, and replace the worn out components with upgraded equipment as you go.

Clyde
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    While I can appreciate the sensitivity of the other replies, that bike is crap. And as if it was not already cheap enough, the good folks at Ibex just had to paint it flourescent green so this poor kid stands out on it like a sore thumb.

Another example of a manufacturer throwing on "full-suspension" to appease the uneducated consumer. I think it can be agreed that an extra $300 spent on a Specialized P-Series or Kona Shred would not only have been reasonable, worthwhile, and much appreciated by the birthday boy in question, but also wise. Safety. Longevity. Peformance.

And for the child, a little pride.

That's too bad.

Freshly Fujified

Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    That's a 19" frame. Just a little large for the average 11 year old? He// I'm 5'11" and it's too big for me.

Perhaps you meant it as an example, but since fit is the most salient part of bike purchasing, I suggest Ebay is that last place to start. Again, just my .02, Jim
    Yes, it was just intended as an example. Just trying to show him what I felt was a balance between budget constraints, and a bike that could handle some singletrack. He would have obviously needed to have the right size for the child.

Lastly, I agree wholeheartedly about the ebay comment.

Clyde
    Last edited by Call_me_Clyde; 12-09-2004 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Additional info for post

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Things to help you understand.....

While I appreciate the feedback I might want to point out a couple of things.
    1. $300-$350 was my max in spending on a new bike, $600 was way out of my price limit. Currently IBEX has no product liability issues with there bike from what I have read and researched. Besides I don't know of many parents who would spend $600 on a bike for there 11 year old. Strike 1.

2. Green is his favorite color as he likes to stand out in a crowd and be different in a world where "melting in the masses" is common. Strike 2.

3. My boy does not have to have nor need a bike to have pride in himself or family. Strike 3, you are out.

Regards,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Alcheringa
    While I can appreciate the sensitivity of the other replies, that bike is crap. And as if it was not already cheap enough, the good folks at Ibex just had to paint it flourescent green so this poor kid stands out on it like a sore thumb.

Another example of a manufacturer throwing on "full-suspension" to appease the uneducated consumer. I think it can be agreed that an extra $300 spent on a Specialized P-Series or Kona Shred would not only have been reasonable, worthwhile, and much appreciated by the birthday boy in question, but also wise. Safety. Longevity. Peformance.

And for the child, a little pride.

That's too bad.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Last edited by bayfritz; 12-09-2004 at 11:56 AM.

bicyclist
    seller is 100% full of sh*t
    in his other auctions he says that SR Suntour and Manitou are the same, Hayes and Tektro are the same and that IRC and Maxxis are the same.
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits