mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Heckler vs Stumpjumper

I am in the market for a new bike. My cap is 2300$. I have been looking at a santa cruz heckler and a specialized stumpjumer. I am 5 foot 8 inches and weigh about 185. I like down hill better then climbing. I also like jumping a little, nothing too crazy. I want a bike that can take all of my abuse and more. which bike is best for me? If you have any more suggestions on bikes please let me know as well, and why you prefer that bike over these 2.

T.W.O.
    How new are you to the sport. I you can build or at least shop for parts then more selection can open up for you. If you are going used, it would really open up a lot of good deal, you can even get Ellsworth Moment, Blur LT, Nomad, ect.

Stock, I'd go for Heckler, or Butcher. I'd also consider Giant Reign or Trance X. I'm not a big fan of specialized suspension.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have been mountain biking for about a year now. But I have been biking all my life, mostly on a bmx bike.
    I am 26.
    I like to ride hard and I am hard on my bike.
    I am probably going to buy a new bike, just because I dont know enough about shocks and suspension to be able to tell if a used bike is a deal, or I am getting ripped off.
    Why dont you like specialized suspension?

T.W.O.
    Specialized made good bikes but there's tons of other good bikes out there that equal or better. Just not a fan of Spech, that's all. Part of it is the LBS too, dealer near me aren't offering anything good, or as good as Giant; Lifetime adjustment, and $50 credit toward the labor if the job is bigger. The Spech is one time tune up or one year (don't know how many times) tune up.

Heckler and Butcher is about the same bike but Butcher shock rate is mirroring the Blur LT, smooth at the top that lead to nice sweet spot, and ramp up nicely, pretty much the holy grail of rear shock behavior, so does their marketing said

Giants are Maestro, dual mini link that offer firm pedaling without sacrificing active suspension, similar to DW link. I love my Ibis Mojo. Pedaling is firm and plush thru out the travel.

If you are willing to put in some research and reading time, buying used is not a bad idea. Tons of good deals out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yea I like the ibis mojo and ellsworth glimpse, but they are both a little out of my price range.
    The only thing I worry about is the butcher is a good bit heavier than the heckler.
    I am also a little worried about the size of the heckler. Can it take sharp, hard turns? Is it too top heavy and bulky to maneuver around tight turns and between trees?
    Is the Heckler only good for down hill, or can I take it on a 20 mile trail ride with jumps at the end?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    all of them are great bikes. try and demo a few of them or at least test ride and pick the one that you like.
    the stumpy is definitely more of a trail bike that is meant to have the wheels on the ground much more often than in the air. I'm sure it can take jumps though. either way, spesh have lifetime frame warranties which is built into the cost of the bike.
    if I had $2300, I'd be looking at the two bikes you mentioned as well as a trance, reign, nickel, butcher, Kona's line up and possibly Trek's line. The nickel and, more so, reign, butcher and heckler are more geared towards getting air and more aggressive riding.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    I owned a 2006 Heckler. A great trail bike. The rear end flexed a little but I believe this issue has been resolved in the newest model.

The frame can take a beating. I sold my Heckler and bought a Yeti 575. I'm not going to start crap, but I was bummed.

There's nothing wrong with the Stumpjumper. Two different suspension designs. Anyone shooting off FSR is better than single pivot doesn't know what their talking about. Anyone saying FSR is better than the Hecklers single pivot execution really has no clue what their talking about.

I have no time on 2011 Hecklers or Stumpy's. I've owned just about every suspension design, and have riden just about every interpretation of each suspension design. Both bikes are solid. If you were comparing 2006 models, which I did, Heckler hands down as the most versatile of the two. For the riding you describe, Heckler.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris fogleman
    Yea I like the ibis mojo and ellsworth glimpse, but they are both a little out of my price range.
    The only thing I worry about is the butcher is a good bit heavier than the heckler.
    I am also a little worried about the size of the heckler. Can it take sharp, hard turns? Is it too top heavy and bulky to maneuver around tight turns and between trees?
    Is the Heckler only good for down hill, or can I take it on a 20 mile trail ride with jumps at the end?

Yes, no, yes and yes

Santa cruz is known for a bit more compact cockpit, which I really like. It can climb, without nasty bob if you are not a masher. Heckler handle tight twisty stuffs well, suspension is very plush too.

What size are you looking to get at 5'8" you can fit either small or med. I'm 5'7" I fit both, and own both sizes. Personally, I prefer small, it allow me to move around the bike more, many likes med, different stroke for different folks. I have Mojo on both size, I take the small one out the most.

Mnigro mentioned Trek, it remind me of the Gary fisher Roscoe. If you can get a hold of one it's a blast. If I don't already too many 5.5" bike I'd own one in a heart beat, love that bike

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Pilot
    I owned a 2006 Heckler. A great trail bike. The rear end flexed a little but I believe this issue has been resolved in the newest model.

The frame can take a beating. I sold my Heckler and bought a Yeti 575. I'm not going to start crap, but I was bummed.

There's nothing wrong with the Stumpjumper. Two different suspension designs. Anyone shooting off FSR is better than single pivot doesn't know what their talking about. Anyone saying FSR is better than the Hecklers single pivot execution really has no clue what their talking about.

I have no time on 2011 Hecklers or Stumpy's. I've owned just about every suspension design, and have riden just about every interpretation of each suspension design. Both bikes are solid. If you were comparing 2006 models, which I did, Heckler hands down as the most versatile of the two. For the riding you describe, Heckler.

Yes, yes, yes and yes.
    Not all Single pivot are the same, I've spent time on both SC and Cannondale single pivot, and I thinks that they are just awesome climb and descend is just great. There are plenty of crappy single pivot out there but there are plenty of great ones as well, Foes, and Trek with the modified Single pivot are just as competent.

Thanks for bringing up the comparison, I have nothing bad to say about Spech, but I don't have anything good to say about it either

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Heckler...

$2300 is a good chuck of change to spending on a bike. Unless you're a constant-tinkerer, spring for the Heckler. The FSR has more pivots. More pivots = more attention. More attention = more wrenching. More wrenching < time riding.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    mimi1885,

I wasn't referring to you in my post. You've been around so I know you've seen what I'm talking about. There's crappy execution of every suspension design. Some suspension designs are more compatible with certain riding styles and/or use. I choose to ride what I ride because I started MTB'ing 2 years after the wheel was invented. I remember the first cave on the hillside that had indoor fire.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thank you everyone for all your help and information!!!

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Pilot
    mimi1885,

I wasn't referring to you in my post. You've been around so I know you've seen what I'm talking about. There's crappy execution of every suspension design. Some suspension designs are more compatible with certain riding styles and/or use. I choose to ride what I ride because I started MTB'ing 2 years after the wheel was invented. I remember the first cave on the hillside that had indoor fire.

No, I'm agreeing with you, and thought that you make a very good point on SC and Spech. I'm a ho, I ride them all Some I like, some I really like.

Members who have read this thread: 1