Heckler Vs Reign- Mtbr.com
    Rider of the Faith

Heckler Vs Reign

Howdy,
    I`m looking for a FR/ All mountain bike that can be rode through the city as well. I already have a Faith for DH so I`m looking for a light but heavy duty bike that will put up with lots of abuse. As the title says it`s between the Heckler and Reign but I`m open for other suggestions for around 2 grand.
    Thanx

Freshly Fujified

Tough competition

You have two excellent choices there. Both have their pros and cons, but I'll leave it to you to sort them out, as I'm sure you know them. Since you're open to other suggestions, let me toss out the bike I just bought, an Ibex Atlas. Like the Heckler, it's beefy, light and single pivot (my Expert comes in around 31lbs w pedals after a few cockpit mods). Not necessarily right for Freeride, but certainly a great AM option for you to consider. It won't break the bank and for your $$ you won't find a better component build under $2K. Look at the Expert and Pro models.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Stacks/Series_Atlas.html

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

SuperInstigator
    What about Ironhorse...

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....9&category=394. As bob said, both the heckler and the reign are very similar-they're both bikes I can't afford. I like the Ibex, too, but if you wanted to spend about 400 more to get a few better components then you could look at the Ironhose. Not sure which is a better deal, but it looks like the Ibex is. The Ironhorse has 5 in. travel in the rear and 5 in the front, and the Ibex has a little more up front, so maybe it is more suited to AM?

free candy pedals with the IH, too!

I say pick a bike by eeny meenie miny mo.
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Cuánto pesa?
    Quote Originally Posted by tibug
    I say pick a bike by eeny meenie miny mo.
    Works for me

Freshly Fujified

Excellent suggestion

What about Ironhorse...

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....9&category=394.
    free candy pedals with the IH, too!
    Another great bike to consider, with a patented suspension linkage, and some excellent specs!

Nice call there tibug!

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

No, that's not phonetic
    I have only had short demos on both the Reign and Heckler, but I found the geometry and handling on both to be excellent. They both pedal extremely well to boot. The Heckler relies on a high/forward single pivot for its pedaling manners which leads to some pedal feedback in the middle and especially the granny ring, and I found the rear end to stiffen under braking too much. Otherwise it is a really peppy, tough, capable bike. If you have ridden H/F single pivots before and don't mind the feedback, etc. the Heckler is a very nice rig. The Reign is a little more laid back and longer feeling, but is still a very sweet riding bike. They fixed my only annoyances with it in 07 by rerouting the cables and allowing for a piggyback shock. It pedal extremely well (and no feedback/stiffening) and is very plush. I liked the Reign more than the Trance we tried too.

I would not mind owning either bike, but if I had to choose, I'd get the Reign.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have a reign 3, I abuse it with 20 ft tables, single tracks and drops and it keeps going. The paint chips easy but that doesn't matter.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

Rider of the Faith
    Wow Tibug.... You must be psychic !
    I went into my LBS today and he has a built up `06 MKIII Team there. It has a mish mash of different parts such as an Marz All Mountain 2 fork, Sun XC rims and Shimano cranks. He said he will let me have it for the same price as an `07 Reign. So now its between the MK Team and a new Reign.

I wanna say thanx to tscheesy and Countryboy for their input .

Since Im in Japan Ibex is out. Thanx Clyde

SuperInstigator
    Musashi, could you give us the full specs for the MK3 at your lbs so we can accurately compare it with the Reign?

Thanks,
    Tim
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Rider of the Faith
    Musashi, could you give us the full specs for the MK3 at your lbs so we can accurately compare it with the Reign?

Thanks,
    Tim
    Thank you for your consideration. I have decided to go for a Reign X1 instead of a regular Reign. As you know the MKIII and Reign X are 2 different kinds of bikes so sorry to have wasted your time.

I do have a question though...Based on frame alone which is more matainence free MKIII or Reign?

Members who have read this thread: 0