Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,876

    Heckler or Spot or Pack w/LX components...

    OK, so I have an Airborne HT for racing and a Turner Burner for everyday riding. I dig the feeling of the Burner but I don't know if I want to shell out the cash for a Spot or Pack. I'm moving to AZ soon and I've seen how rocky and technical some of the downhills are and how much of a beating the bikes take. I plan on riding the Burner most of the time but there are those times when I'll be riding some sweet technical DH stuff that I'd like a bit more travel. I'm thinking of a Heckler/Z1 combo with all LX components. Since I won't be riding this a whole lot but I want it to be burly enough to take a pounding on the rocks in AZ, I'm thinking the Heckler is a great choice. Anyone have any opinion on some longer travel bikes? I did have an Id/Z1 combo a long time ago but no longer...long story. So I have some reference to longer travel bikes. Does the Spot ride too much like the Burner to consider it? And since I'll only be riding this on really technical trails (I.E. Goat Camp and so forth), would a Spot be worth the extra cash?
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

  2. #2
    No, that's not phonetic
    Reputation: tscheezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,313
    I had an XCE for a long time (nearly identicle to the Burner) and also have a 5-Spot and a 6-Pack.

    The Burner is not redundant to the 5-Spot at all. The Spot is noticeably leggier having a plusher suspension, plus it can accomodate a lot more fork like a 140mm Pike. That said if you really want to avoid overlap you should go for a 6-Pack with a DHX Air and a light-ish fork like a Pike air or Zoke AM-1 in the 130-150 flavor.

    It is a chunk of money, but going cheap on bikes is the most sure-fire way to guarantee you will have to spend more in the end after you suffer a serious bout of upgradeitis.

    I personally have not cared much for any high/forward single pivot I have ridden. I prefer low single pivots like the Foes FXR, Yeti 575, Cove Hustler, etc. Of course a good 4-Bar is preferable any day of the week...
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

  3. #3
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,876
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I had an XCE for a long time (nearly identicle to the Burner) and also have a 5-Spot and a 6-Pack.

    The Burner is not redundant to the 5-Spot at all. The Spot is noticeably leggier having a plusher suspension, plus it can accomodate a lot more fork like a 140mm Pike. That said if you really want to avoid overlap you should go for a 6-Pack with a DHX Air and a light-ish fork like a Pike air or Zoke AM-1 in the 130-150 flavor.

    It is a chunk of money, but going cheap on bikes is the most sure-fire way to guarantee you will have to spend more in the end after you suffer a serious bout of upgradeitis.

    I personally have not cared much for any high/forward single pivot I have ridden. I prefer low single pivots like the Foes FXR, Yeti 575, Cove Hustler, etc. Of course a good 4-Bar is preferable any day of the week...
    Well, my other rides have nothing lower than XT (I recently upgraded my shifters on the Burner) so I know the argument for going with better comp's. I'm only thinking of cheap comp's in this bike b/c of the beating the cranks and deraillers take on the AZ rocks. And since I'll only be riding this bike here and there, I'm thinking that's the best way to go. I could be wrong though...I frequently am.

    Good to know about the Burner, Spot and Pack rides though. I'm not worried about weight on it so no worries about going for an air fork. I loved my Z1 so I'm pretty much fixated on that.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slowrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,788

    Options

    My 5 Spot is the best bike I've ever owned but a quality option for much less $$$ is the Titus Motolite. You could ditch the great 4" bike and replace it with a Great 4/5" bike built under one of the same patents. The biggest downside I've seen thus far with the ML is the rear tire clearence but that can be addressed currently and I believe the bigger clearence swingarm will become standard next year.

  5. #5
    orthonormal
    Reputation: andy f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    Well, my other rides have nothing lower than XT (I recently upgraded my shifters on the Burner) so I know the argument for going with better comp's. I'm only thinking of cheap comp's in this bike b/c of the beating the cranks and deraillers take on the AZ rocks. And since I'll only be riding this bike here and there, I'm thinking that's the best way to go. I could be wrong though...I frequently am.

    Good to know about the Burner, Spot and Pack rides though. I'm not worried about weight on it so no worries about going for an air fork. I loved my Z1 so I'm pretty much fixated on that.
    Take a look at the dw-link bikes, there are incredible deals on Iron Horse bikes out there. The MkIII has the travel you're looking for but pretty XC-oriented geometry. The 7Point bikes might be more along the lines of what you're looking for.

    The dw-link suspension is the equal of any Horst link in terms of pedaling and braking and easily outperforms them in terms of acceleration and out of the saddle climbing. IH welds and quality control aren't comparable to Turner but the suspension is the best performing design on the market right now.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

  6. #6
    rolling in the greens
    Reputation: vermont's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    335

    vote for the Heckler

    Quote Originally Posted by TscHeeZy
    I personally have not cared much for any high/forward single pivot I have ridden.
    despite the lowly reputation of a high-forward single pivot pointed out by TscHeeZy, the Heck has a reputation as a smooth, fast, versatile frame. i do not have a long history with F/S bikes but i did a lot of research with friends and online before i purchased one.
    I put heavy wheels and rims on mine, tweak the suspension and it rides like a Dh'r at Mt. Snow.
    Lighter wheels and rims and a another suspension tweak and it climbs like a Mt. Goat. Also Indestructable...try to find someone who has trashed a heckler frame....not just cracked a rear triangle...easy to service/replace and the pivot.

    if i had real money i could have 2 shock sets for this bike...a DH set coil/oil long travel super plush and heavy and for XC all Air w/platform save 2+ lbs....but i just keep a hardtail built up
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    I'm only thinking of cheap comp's in this bike b/c of the beating the cranks and deraillers take on the AZ rocks.
    LX components are the equal to XT at least for 2005, the shifters, deraillers and cranks are identical; the hydro calipers are the same as XTR. I doubt you save too much money $$ but it is worth saving since you give up no performance and little weight
    Keith Bontrager: "Strong, light, cheap pick any two."

    "Something strong and light ain't gonna be cheap. -That's what I call bling.

    And cheap and strong ain't gonna be light. -That ain't bling."
    -----locoman


    "That said, I never deal with bike shops for the same reasons. I am a ebay and mail order whore and I don't care" -----yetisurly

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: psycleridr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    90
    Intense 5.5! This bike is awesome and you can do it all on this bike
    Better to be pissed off than pissed on! Now get out and ride! ;-)

  8. #8
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,876
    Quote Originally Posted by psycleridr
    Intense 5.5! This bike is awesome and you can do it all on this bike

    True, but I'm not looking for a do it all bike. I'm looking for a beefy DH ride. I have the Burner for everyday riding.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

  9. #9
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,464
    A "classic" RFX may be the ticket:

    - Lower initial $$ outlay
    - Turner Quality both ride and CS
    - No overlap w/ the Burner
    Nothing to see here.

Similar Threads

  1. X-post Devinci Guzzler/Magma vs Heckler
    By ronny in forum Canadian Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 10:45 AM
  2. 5-Spot vs. Heckler
    By BananaSeat in forum Turner
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 10:00 PM
  3. tell me all the bad things about your heckler
    By wildman in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-12-2004, 10:11 AM
  4. Need New SS Opinions
    By DirtSS in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-09-2004, 06:19 PM
  5. Searching For Heckler
    By BigLarry in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-20-2004, 05:46 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.