mtbr member
    Aug 2005

hardtail decision

alright, today i stopped buy sun&ski to look at some marin HTs and while looking at the palisades trail, the shop guy noted that the '05 nail trails were on sale for $800 (originally $1000). now the other bike I had my eye on was the giant rainier, so now I am torn between the rainier and the nail trail. here are the specs of both, so tell me which one seems to be the better deal here: (the giant is $850)

rainier:

marzocchi exr pro 100mm
    sram x.7 rear
    shimano deore front
    sram x.7 triggers
    hayes so1e hydro disc
    truvativ powerspline cranks
    truvative gigapipe sl ISIS BB
    sun rhyno lite rims
    easton ea50 handlebar, stem, seatpost
    shimano pd-m505 clipless

nail trail:

manitou axel super 90-120mm TPC
    shimano LX rear
    shimano deore front
    deore shifters
    hayes hfx-9 hydro disc
    truvative firex cranks
    truvative powerspline cartridge BB
    Mavic CrossMax 117 rims
    FSA seatpost, stem
    composite pedals

thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Giant

I would definitely snag the Giant over the Marin, for a couple of reasons (these are my opinions, though, I am certain there are many better riders who disagree) -

1) I am a big fan of sram shifter/ r der combo. I get better performance out of my x.7 shifter/r der than I ever did out of my lx/xt r der combo. Shifts are more intuitive, precise, and confident than the shimano.

2) The Easton bars, stem, and seatpost are all great. It is rare in that price range to see that stuff specc'ed OEM.

3) Giants have always felt really nice to me. They seemed to be quick and responsive, and generally feel lighter than other bikes of the same weight.

Again these are all opinions, but the Rainier is a sweet bike that you will enjoy for a long time. The Marin may be as well, but the Giant is where my money would go.

Have fun

EDR
    -Tough choice. My advice...ride both several times, shift a lot. Buy what you feel best riding, that is what is most important in this choice. Components are comparable.

Let's roll.
    Not to make it any more difficult on you, but check out the Kona Cinder Kone (runs about $850) and the Specialized Rockhopper Disc (about $800) - those are the bikes I'm considering.

The Kona has better brakes, while the Specialized has a lighter frame. Depends on your prefs, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by newboy04
    alright, today i stopped buy sun&ski to look at some marin HTs and while looking at the palisades trail, the shop guy noted that the '05 nail trails were on sale for $800 (originally $1000). now the other bike I had my eye on was the giant rainier, so now I am torn between the rainier and the nail trail. here are the specs of both, so tell me which one seems to be the better deal here: (the giant is $850)

rainier:

marzocchi exr pro 100mm
    sram x.7 rear
    shimano deore front
    sram x.7 triggers
    hayes so1e hydro disc
    truvativ powerspline cranks
    truvative gigapipe sl ISIS BB
    sun rhyno lite rims
    easton ea50 handlebar, stem, seatpost
    shimano pd-m505 clipless

nail trail:

manitou axel super 90-120mm TPC
    shimano LX rear
    shimano deore front
    deore shifters
    hayes hfx-9 hydro disc
    truvative firex cranks
    truvative powerspline cartridge BB
    Mavic CrossMax 117 rims
    FSA seatpost, stem
    composite pedals

thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    yeah ive considered the cinder cone, but i dont think it offers as much value as either marin or giant at this price point. consider the marzocchi fork on the rainier, which is only available on the higher priced kona (caldera). the same can be said for specialized (mech brakes). basically i was set on the rainier but when the marin was so heavily discounted i began to consider it as a serious alternative.

i guess it will come down to test riding both multiple times to see which one i have a better feel for. thanks alot for the input though!

btw there does not seem to be that many marin riders here.......if anyone has any extensive riding experience or knows someone who rides on.....i would like to know about the durability of their frames. from my ride of the nail trail it seems to have a pretty nice frame, with the seatstay having some shock-absorbing properties as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Can't go wrong with Marin, trust me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    There's a few Marin Hardtail reviews on mtbr, pretty much all positive, check them out. I have a Hawk Hill which has served me well. The frame looks thinner than what you'd find elsewhere, but its plenty strong, trust me. They don't have the lifetime warranty as Specialized, but I don't ever see it cracking unless I do something extremely stupid. For regular Xc riding, it should give you years of trouble free riding.

I also have a FS Marin Rift Zone, which I absolutely love.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thats weird. The nail trail here at my local shops come stock with a Manitou Black Super. Quite an upgrade from the listed axel. When I asked them about it they seemed surprised and said that they havent seen the nail trail with an axel.
    Its a great bike overall, especially for the price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have an 03 pine mountain and it is a great bike.
    My only issues are the hfx-9, which seem to require fairly constant adjustment (although i believe that they have somewhat fixed the problems) and the american classic hub bearings (which are pieces of crap). my lbs has been great with all issues, as has hayes, and I dont regret the purchase at all.
    that being said i havent ridden a giant in ages.
    you will know which bike is right for you after riding them, see if they will let you take them for a longer spin.
    you wont be dissappointed with a marin.
    good luck

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have a Marin Rocky Ridge, that I built up with Sram and XT, Slasa flat bar, grip shift, etc. I love it. I had an old Giant Warp DS2 before. I called it the beast, it would go throught anything. I am 200+ lbs and have not a problem with the Marin. It is great. For me, shifting is number one over weight.