Which hard tail commuter for $1500- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Which hard tail commuter for $1500

Hi all,

I've been following threads here for some time and visiting bike shops to try to figure out the right bike. Thought I'd set out my current thinking - much appreciate any advice.

I'll be using the bike during the week to ride to work. The ride is 4 miles each way and here's secure parking at each end. At the moment I'm using a road bike for this, but find I prefer being upright and agile on an mtb frame in the city.

At the weekends, I'd like to use it off road. I'm not a hardcore off road rider but would like something I'd grow into. But unlikely I'll be riding anything serious enough to justify full suspension.

I'm 6'4 so will need at least a large, probably an extra large frame. For the last seven years I've used a 2001 Trek 6700 for the above and it suited me great (sadly, I sold it to a friend before moving to the US). I'd like whatever I buy to be at least on par or better than the Trek. The dimensions of that frame felt right.

I've ridden 26 and 29'er but think I prefer the 26 for the acceleration and lower weight. The 29'er just didn't feel as lively/fun as my old bike, though admittedly I only rode it for 5 minutes.

Budget is max $1500 though this could be stretched if there was something exceptional for a little more.

So far I'm most tempted by the Motobecane Fly Team, for the usual reasons (weight, component spec). But also really liked a Giant XTC I rode. Haven't yet found a Specialized that feels "right" but happy to try more. The final option is to replace it with the latest Trek 6700.

I'm reluctant to spend that amount of money on the Motobecane without riding it... and not sure if it's a good choice given my height. But hard to walk away from a potentially great deal. Alternatively, I could find a cheap hybrid with no suspension for the commute and dedicated trail bike for the weekend.

What would you go for?
    Last edited by blueski; 05-19-2010 at 11:47 AM.

rollin
    Oct 2009
    I think the Moto's are smokin deals BUT...not being able to test drive before throwing down a ton of bones is scary to me. If you like the Giant start from there...

Cheers
    Chris

mtbr member
    I would definitely go with a 29er. I think the argument on responsiveness might hold true on the trail but if you are going to use it on the road mostly then I would look at the 29er. Pricepoint has the Sette Razzo 29er which addresses your concerns about sluggishness. I would probably buy it rather than looking at a 26er.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/198...-29er-Bike.htm

mtbr member
    Check out the Trek District, it's supposed to be an amazing commuter. I think it's right around your price range as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks.

Looks like I'll have to test ride another 29er at least. Though I'm riding around town there's lots of stop/start so acceleration and low weight are still pretty important. The Sette looks like a good choice.

Like the look of the Trek District but since I live up a hill in San Francisco I definitely need more than a single speed

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My LBS has a close out on the Giant XTC Alliance at $1399. Any thoughts on which is the better buy between that and the Razzo?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've pulled the trigger on a Sette Razzo XL. Should be here Monday.

Thanks for the advice. Can't wait!

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by blueski

Lol pulled the trigger.
    Ride

mtbr member

I have the large Razzo. Love it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ended up choosing between that and a lighter 26" Motobecane. In the end I wanted to try something new... seems like the Razzo is a popular bike around here.

mtbr member
    Ended up choosing between that and a lighter 26" Motobecane. In the end I wanted to try something new... seems like the Razzo is a popular bike around here.
    I wouldn't say the Razzo is that popular. Since it's seems there are only a few of us Sette bike owners around here. You definitely did get the best 29 HT under $1500 on the market. No other bike in it's price range can touch the frame and components.

Members who have read this thread: 0