Handlebars For XC Bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Handlebars For XC Bike?

If Money wasn't a problem, what would be the best stem and handlebar set up for a 2009 Specialized Stumpjumber FSR carbon S-works?

T.W.O.
    Ritchey WCS flat or riser bar, or Edge composit.
    Ritchey WCS stems.

mtbr member
    What are you looking for in a handlebar? Flat? Riser? Length?

I just picked up the Truvativ Holzfeller World Cup Handlebar 2009, and combined it with the Sette Evo Stem. Total Weight is under 400 grams, closer to 350. Best does not mean the most expensive
    Last edited by Dremer03; 05-30-2010 at 03:40 AM.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    whatever...

mtbr member
    This is what your bike currently has. Tough to improve on a $6000 bike but not impossible.

Syntace F119 OS stem, 31.8, 6 degree rise, 15.5: 75mm, 17: 90mm, 18: 100mm, 19: 110mm, 21: 120mm

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mo...490.470.1.html

Specialized OS XC low rise carbon bar, 640mm wide, 6 degree up, 8 degree backsweep

I am not sure you are going to find much improvement from your existing setup. The Syntace stem is top of the line. The only reason I can think of changing out the bar would be to go to a flat narrow bar for mostly race purposes. For the stem I probably wouldnt mess with it unless I was looking at a different angle or length. Thomson would be a nice alternative and slightly cheaper. Check out the 3T handlebar at Competive Cyclist.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rcohenjb1
    If Money wasn't a problem, what would be the best stem and handlebar set up for a 2009 Specialized Stumpjumber FSR carbon S-works?
    What's "best" has little to do with cost. What fits you and your riding style is what's "best". If you could tell us what's wrong with your current setup we might be able to suggest what's "best". Without this information it's impossible.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thank you, that was helpful. I just have the frame-set and am starting to spec out a build kit. Do you know why one can not buy specialized parts on-line or am just not looking in the correct spot?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rcohenjb1
    Thank you, that was helpful. I just have the frame-set and am starting to spec out a build kit. Do you know why one can not buy specialized parts on-line or am just not looking in the correct spot?

You need to go through your Speshy dealer .

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I like a riser bar, that is narrow. I have no "set-up" now on this bike, i just own the frame set. I guess i am just looking for reviews, because i saved for while to buy this frame, and this bike will probably be the last bike i own, so i wanted to build it perfect from ground up. Any insight you could give would be appreciated.

AZ
    banned
    What are your goal's , weight , strength , both ? Some are going to point you towards Carpet Fiber , others towards Aluminium . Fit trumps all , until you have an idea of what your needs are for fit your kinda stuck .

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Goals: Fast singletrack
    Weight: 180
    I like to climb and go fast. Not much for steep drops or technical downhill, or rocks and stumps. Definitely want carbon riser. I am new to this sport and am a technician by trade, so building race cars comes easy for me, would like to build the beat bike possible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Start by doing some research on fit so you know what might work for you. Stem length and rise, bar width, sweep, flat, riser, how much rise. Seat post length and setback. Saddle style and size. Crank length, type of pedals. Your contact points on the bike are the most important, along with the frame. Then there's the fork. For XC riding 100-120mm would be in the right ballpark but what was your frame designed to use? How do you even know the frame is the right size for you? You can't begin to start picking out parts before you know this information.

Members who have read this thread: 1