mtbr member
    Sep 2010

HA in relation to STA

Hi everyone,
    We all know that there is a increase of one degree of HA for an increase of 20mm of fork length. So is there a decrease of one degree in STA along with the increase in HA? I am trying To look at it the other way. Would a one degree decrease in HA increase the STA by one Degree? I have a HT frame with a 65 HA and a 73 STA with a 140mm fork. Hoping to change the fork travel to 120mm to have a 66 HA with a 74 STA to make more XC orientated.
    THx for everyone's help

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by PMaj View Post
    Hi everyone,
    We all know that there is a increase of one degree of HA for an increase of 20mm of fork length. So is there a decrease of one degree in STA along with the increase in HA? I am trying To look at it the other way. Would a one degree decrease in HA increase the STA by one Degree? I have a HT frame with a 65 HA and a 73 STA with a 140mm fork. Hoping to change the fork travel to 120mm to have a 66 HA with a 74 STA to make more XC orientated.
    THx for everyone's help
    Since lengthing the fork lifts the front end of the bike, it will decrease both HA & STA by a similar amount.

Likewise shortening the fork will do the opposite.
    =sParty

mtbr member

mtbr member
    You took trig in high school, right? Or did you think you'd have no use for it.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Yes, basically, but it's not exactly 1 degree for 20mm, just roughly and will also drop your BB, so don't forget that if you have very rocky/technical trails where pedal strikes might be something to think about.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Cymru am byth!
    A lot of trail hard tails designed for 140mm travel forks are long low and slack. I would be pretty concerned about lowering the bb.
    example is my Pivot Les a XC bike has a higher BB with a 120mm fork then my Santa Cruz Chameleon trail bike with a 140mm fork. Putting a 120 on the SC would cause me to have pedal strikes like mad and the bike still would not handle or ride like my xc bike. where I live is super rocky so clearance might be more an issue for me. Just my thoughts.