mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Good XC/Freeride bike?

In the market to buy a new bike. I've road a Trek 4500 for a fews years and I am ready to upgrade. I ride mostly XC but DO NOT want to limit myself to just that. This next bike will need to last for a few years. Is there a bike that is good for XC and light freeride? I don't know if I need to stick with hardtail or go full suspension either. My budget is up to around $1300. I'd like to stay around $900-1000. My weight is around 200lbs if that helps. Thanks for your input.

Freshly Fujified

One recommendation

If you are willing to build the bike, I can recommend a 5" travel f/s frame from Leader Bike USA. The 626S I built up could be used for freeride if I had put a beefier fork on it (I chose a Marzocchi Marathon S). My build was about $1300, and I'm real happy with the bike.

I can highly recommend Jared at Downshift Cycles, where I purchased my 626S (www.downshiftcycles.com). He's knowledgable, very customer service oriented, and he'll put a decent deal together for you if you buy the frame and fork together. He can also set you up with other components if you wish.

I'm sure there are other options out there, to include 'out of the box" options. This is just one way to go.

Best wishes in your purchase.

Bob

P.S. His new web site is still under construction, and may not have all his product offerings. I'd recommend calling him if you're interested once you've checked out the web site.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    At your price range it is going to be tought to find a full suspension that will excell at both XC and light freeride. You can probably find a fairly well loaded hardtail or a medium range FS bike. IMO I would go full suspension if you can afford it.

One option to look at is the Mongoose Teocali. Mongoose seems to be making a bit of a comback (despite being owned by Pacific) and has a decent parts spec for a sub $1300 FS bike. Several magazines have done write-ups on the Mongoose line lately with good reviews (of' course you have to assume by the number of mags getting interested in Mongoose all of a sudden that there is a pretty solid marketing campaign behind the scenes). Test one if you can find a dealer.

Jamis and Iron horse also have some solide value packed full suspension bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hands down the Jamis XLT(no number) is the best trail bike out there for the price you are looking at. Rockin frame and part spec
    www.treefortbikes.com Just lauched V2.0 with free shipping and low prices!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by joshm8979
    In the market to buy a new bike. I've road a Trek 4500 for a fews years and I am ready to upgrade. I ride mostly XC but DO NOT want to limit myself to just that. This next bike will need to last for a few years. Is there a bike that is good for XC and light freeride? I don't know if I need to stick with hardtail or go full suspension either. My budget is up to around $1300. I'd like to stay around $900-1000. My weight is around 200lbs if that helps. Thanks for your input.

I have not owned or ridden one, but have been doing a lot of research on these forums and other forums and the 2004 Iron Horse Hollowpoint seems to really fit in that grey area between XC and Trailbike.

It has two travel settings in the rear making it versatile, and almost everyone that has one says the DW link in the rear makes it an exceptional climber. Again I haven't tried it but they have a cult following and the prices on them are an incredible value, if you can find one in your size.

For 05 Iron horse took the 2004 Hollowpoint and made it two different bikes, the MKIII which is burlier and 5" of rear travel and the Azure which is XC race with 3.5" of rear travel, and more XC geometry and lighter.

I just got a Salsa Caballero and it has XC geometry and is full scandium light, but also has 4" in the rear where most XC race frames tend to go with 3" or less in the rear.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Just some thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by joshm8979
    For about that price range I've seen some nice Ironhorses on sale at Performance bike. They had some fullsuspension Warrior bikes on sale for under 1000 with pretty good part specs. But they're beefier bikes and i think more towards all mountain and less XC. You could also look at a Trance 4, they're going for about 1100, but they're part specs are a little lacking, no disc brakes and not the best fork but still a solid frame to build on. Just my two cents. Also, 2004 or older will always be a good option since they're going to be trying to sale them before the 2006's start coming in. Hope this helps.