• 08-14-2004
    snufkin
    Trail Climber (Yeti 575 vs. SC Superlight)
    All I read about the 575 is only pro this bike.
    I don't like the cable routing and no real color selection.
    Does anyone have something bad to say on the Yeti 575?

Looking for a good trail bike that will climb nice and easy like a goat...
    The bike should be good for Singles, Climbing and descending (no jumps).

I was thinking of the Superlight, when I came across the Yeti 575.
    Blur looks too complicated, as I like the simplicity of Single Pivot.

Thanks
  • 08-14-2004
    drjos
    The 575 is a very good climber and a great trail bike.

The negatives I have seen so far with mine are the cable routing and I can feel the break-over point for the platform setting on the 5th air. The cable routing is fine, once you have it setup properly. The 5th airs do break in, but I plan on getting a fox rp3 sometime in the not too distant future.

A minor sniggle is that the water bottle clearance is tight. On my large I can only use a regular size bottle. I wonder if any bottle fits without the shock hitting in on the medium and small frames.

Yeti has been great. I called before purchase and talked to a guy about what size was best for me. He asked several questions about what I had been riding and my riding style before suggesting a size. I called again about how to service the pivots and was told that all the pivots are internally keyed for easy removal. Very nice. A quality product and they are just a phone call away.

I also have a Turner XCE and the two bikes handle on the trail remarkably similar. The 575 is just lighter and has an extra 1.75" of rear travel. I rode a superlight a couple of years ago and, while I enjoyed it, I definitely felt pedal kickback which neither the XCE or the 575 seem to have.

Hope some of this is useful for you,

David
  • 08-14-2004
    FoShizzle
    Sorry to dissapoint you....
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snufkin
    All I read about the 575 is only pro this bike.
    I don't like the cable routing and no real color selection.
    Does anyone have something bad to say on the Yeti 575?

Looking for a good trail bike that will climb nice and easy like a goat...
    The bike should be good for Singles, Climbing and descending (no jumps).

I was thinking of the Superlight, when I came across the Yeti 575.
    Blur looks too complicated, as I like the simplicity of Single Pivot.

Thanks

Sorry to say that at least I have yet to hear anything (tangible) negative about this incredible bike. However, as there are practical cults on mtbr in terms of religion of linkage types.......you may hear the theoretical mumbo-jumbo as to why the 575 is not as good as blah blah blah....or perhaps you may hear that the 575 is too light to be burly enough to be a real trailbike....well, if you put an air shock on the other high-end trailbikes they would drop some weight all of a sudden, granted not quite as light perhaps but would that all of a sudden make them less durable bikes? And of course a bike snob (I may be one in denial so please forgive me) may say, well...the 575 cant be as good as other Yetis since it is not made in the USA. Having heard a lot of positive things about this bike from people who know a heck of a lot more about bikes (especially Yetis) than me, I take this bike as a top contender, period. For me, it came down to 2 bikes.....the bike I currently own and the Yeti 575. Other than subjective reasons which are just that, I simply wanted a bike with a coil shock for my trailbike otherwise, I could have seen myself on the 575.

Cheers and apologies to the many I may have offended with my cult reference ;)