good resale value- Mtbr.com
    I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005

good resale value

I was wondering which XC full suspension bikes have good resale value because i was thinking of buying a bike next year but i am still growing and would prob need to sell it in 1-2 years after.
    Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sure thing. Resale value of most bikes seems to be about 1/2 what you paid if it's in good condition.

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    Sure thing. Resale value of most bikes seems to be about 1/2 what you paid if it's in good condition.
    But is there any bike that seems to sell a bit easier and worth a bit more (like in the car market a Toyota Sienna bought for 20,000$ re-sells better than a Dodge Caravan bought at 20,000$ brand new)

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Well, not really....

Quote Originally Posted by oilerfan30
    But is there any bike that seems to sell a bit easier and worth a bit more (like in the car market a Toyota Sienna bought for 20,000$ re-sells better than a Dodge Caravan bought at 20,000$ brand new)
    Bikes are not cars and do not hold resale value the way you are thinking. There are some brands, mostly the high end builders like Ellsworth, Turner, etc., that may bring a little higher dollar when it comes to resale, but then you pay allot more for the bikes to begin with. Take a Turner 5 Spot for example. Frame sells for $1895 new, once you get all the parts together (of a quality that would be worthy to put on that frame) your looking at a total custom build of about $3000 to $3600 or more. So naturally that bike will sell for more in a couple of years than say a Specialized Enduro of the same year. But you are still looking at a DEEP depreciation easily in the neghborhood of $1600 to $2000 (some times less) depending on the condition of the bike and components. The bottom line is if you pay $1800 for a bike, in two years it will only be worth between $800 and $1000 if you are lucky. That and you are playing Russian Roulete if you are buying a bike with the thought in mind of resale value. What is hot and the latest thing and bringing the best prices on ebay or where ever today, two years from now is old school and not worth anymore than anything else in most cases. Your best bet is to buy from one of the major companies, Trek, Specialized, Giant, Iron Horse, Jamis, etc. Don't buy the top of the line but something that suits you as far as components go. Then start saving for the next bike. If you do happen to hit a good one and it sells for more than half the original price, then that's a bonus and you can pick up some nice accessories or what ever to go with the next bike. Bikes just aren't cars and they don't have resale/trade in values like cars do. Yes there are some of the more popular models that MAY fetch a higher price on the used market, but 99% of the time that bike will cost you considerably more to begin with. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, there always are. But finding them is the hard part, because you never know what the next exception will be. So my advice is to stick to the major manufacturers and DON'T count on that bike being worth much more than half (or possibly less) than what you paid for it in a couple of years.

Good Dirt