Is this a good Replacement Frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Is this a good Replacement Frame?

So, I broke the chainstay on my 2002 Giant AC Air Lite, and chances are I probably will be unable to get a warranty replacement since I am the second owner. I was looking at a frame called Bloodline Illuminati by Leader bike on sale for $349 at BlueSkyCycling. Whats your opinion on this particular frame? is it worth it?

https://www.blueskycycling.com/view_...eProductSearch

mtbr member
    May 2006
    well, its fsr. so you will need a shock that has somesort of platform dampening. i.e. propedal(fox) or MotionControl (Rockshox)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    what does FSR stand for?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    wait does it stand for Full Suspension Race? can I switch over my Rock Shox SID over from my Giant for the time being?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well what I really would like to know is whether this frame looks like it was designed well and whether it looks strong seeing as how I broke the chainstay on my last frame

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    A little too much gussets and fancy stuff for my taste (simpler geometry w/o all the bends and less welds = usually better), anodizing is high fashion but usually also weakens the material, looks like it has simple sleeve bearings - having said all that, for $349 you can't expect the world and it is probably ok for the money. If it breaks, it's probably gonna be around the rocker or bottom bracket bearings (wild guess).

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cavry
    A little too much gussets and fancy stuff for my taste (simpler geometry w/o all the bends and less welds = usually better), anodizing is high fashion but usually also weakens the material, looks like it has simple sleeve bearings - having said all that, for $349 you can't expect the world and it is probably ok for the money. If it breaks, it's probably gonna be around the rocker or bottom bracket bearings (wild guess).
    While you say it's a wild guess, what came to that conclusion by looking at the frame??

mtbr member
    Whats with the derailleur hanger.....It looks like it was broken and placed there for the pic....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cavry
    1.) Too much gussets ( ) = usually better: Huh? Where did you come up with that??

2.) anodizing is high fashion but usually also weakens the material: If done with the right process, i.e. no etching and a Phosphoric and unsealed chromic acid anodic layer, then fatigue life is not decreased much at all...

3.) looks like it has simple sleeve bearings: "looks" like you may need to look again....those, sir, are cartridge bearings.

4.) for $349 you can't expect the world and it is probably ok for the money: the only thing you said that I agree with.

5.) If it breaks, it's probably gonna be around the rocker or bottom bracket bearings: Damn...you actually called yourself out for being an armchair Engineer....can't fault you for trying

jesus christ guy....if you're gonna offer up info, at least try and understand what you're saying prior to spewing it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugg-E
    1.) Too much gussets ( ) = usually better: Huh? Where did you come up with that??

2.) anodizing is high fashion but usually also weakens the material: If done with the right process, i.e. no etching and a Phosphoric and unsealed chromic acid anodic layer, then fatigue life is not decreased much at all...

3.) looks like it has simple sleeve bearings: "looks" like you may need to look again....those, sir, are cartridge bearings.

4.) for $349 you can't expect the world and it is probably ok for the money: the only thing you said that I agree with.

5.) If it breaks, it's probably gonna be around the rocker or bottom bracket bearings: Damn...you actually called yourself out for being an armchair Engineer....can't fault you for trying

jesus christ guy....if you're gonna offer up info, at least try and understand what you're saying prior to spewing it.
    No, I will not engage in a silly fight with some Internet dude here..have a great day.

mtbr member
    not trying to fight. Just trying to save the world lol

mtbr member
    I've never heard of that frame; doesn't mean it is a bad frame but I'm guessing you'll have a difficult time finding info and reviews on it.

The only way you can reuse your shock is if the distance between mounting holes is the same as that of your Giant. If the length is off or if the valving on the Giant's shock is not right for the new frame you will end up with a crappy ride.

I'd suggest buying more of a known quantity with a shock, I've heard this is a pretty decent frame and it comes with a shock for an extra $50:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/184...onarch-3.1.htm

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by azmtbkr81
    I've never heard of that frame; doesn't mean it is a bad frame but I'm guessing you'll have a difficult time finding info and reviews on it.

The only way you can reuse your shock is if the distance between mounting holes is the same as that of your Giant. If the length is off or if the valving on the Giant's shock is not right for the new frame you will end up with a crappy ride.

I'd suggest buying more of a known quantity with a shock, I've heard this is a pretty decent frame and it comes with a shock for an extra $50:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/184...onarch-3.1.htm

Good thought - if you need a small. Otherwise,

I bought this:

http://wheelworld.com/product/khs-08...frame-6814.htm

Can't comment on it because I don't have it here yet, but it should be here by Tuesday. MTBR users gave the full built version of this bike that uses this frame a really good review. Just suggesting it, but like I said, it's too early for me to comment on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have had this frame since the spring when I broke the frame on my Fuji Thrill 2,0. This frame is really nice! The parts from my old frame fit right on it like the Fox RP 23 was a perfect fit. No problems after about 1200 trail miles so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this a good Replacement Frame?-0426121540.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    And... there is a large one on e-bay right now for $200.

Members who have read this thread: 0