Good deal?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Good deal?

Smarter Than He Looks

Good deal?

Looking to buy my first mtn bike after not having been on a bike more than a handful of times in the last ten years. At this point I don't plan on riding particularly hard, but I'd like to ride some of the great local trails that I currently enjoy hiking. My budget is $500+/- and the LBS I really like carries Trek & FIsher. I had pretty much decided on a Trek 4500 until I saw this:

New leftover 05 GT Avalanche 2.0. w/RockShox Judy front fork, Deore rear der, EF29 shifters, Truvative ISO-Flow crankset, alloy double wall rims, WTB speed V saddle, Tioga 26 x 2.10 tires, $249

Waddaya think?

Freshly Fujified

Nice deal, but...

If you truly have a $500 budget, you'd do much better in hunting down a better bike at $500. The deal you show is a great one, but you can also find a comparable deal at $500 with much better components (the fork in particular is lacking on the GT).

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Smarter Than He Looks
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    If you truly have a $500 budget, you'd do much better in hunting down a better bike at $500. The deal you show is a great one, but you can also find a comparable deal at $500 with much better components (the fork in particular is lacking on the GT).

Bob
    Thanks Bob...er...Clyde. I appreciate your wise counsel.. About three weeks ago I started thinking about getting my first mtn bike, and I've been in information overload ever since. This particular forum is an incredible resource, but it's still a bunch of stuff to sift through. I've pretty much convinced myself to go back to the LBS that has treated me well so far. They've answered lots of questions, they're conveniently located, they've got good products (Trek, Fisher, etc) and a good rep for service.

Freshly Fujified

Good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Sinker
    Thanks Bob...er...Clyde. I appreciate your wise counsel.. About three weeks ago I started thinking about getting my first mtn bike, and I've been in information overload ever since. This particular forum is an incredible resource, but it's still a bunch of stuff to sift through. I've pretty much convinced myself to go back to the LBS that has treated me well so far. They've answered lots of questions, they're conveniently located, they've got good products (Trek, Fisher, etc) and a good rep for service.
    Keep reading up. Read the forums. Read the reviews. Take heed to what people say about the reputations of certain specific components. Educate yourself so that when you're ready to buy, you're fairly certain of what you're getting. Developing the relationship with your LBS is an excellent idea. Good ones can be difficult to find. Hopefully they will also be the source of a good bike at a fair price. (Look at last year's leftovers if they have any. They typically discount them more than new model year bikes)

Keep us posted on your progress and let us know if you come across any more deals that need examining.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde

Bob
    i second the judy... it feels like a pogo stick in the beginning and then after some use it turns almost rigid...

Members who have read this thread: 0