Going boost, is it worth waiting?- Mtbr.com
    CFH
    mtbr member

Going boost, is it worth waiting?

So I am in a position to upgrade from my crave frame and into a Pivot Mach 429 trail, ripley or wait for The Following boost to come out in the fall. Im only looking to pick up a frame... already have a pike fork,wheels and other components.
    As of now I am leaning towards the pivot but a buddy of mine is telling me to wait... because of the 2017s that will be coming out and there might be some good deals on these models.

Whats your take?

mtbr member
    You will do this forever with the way the industry releases things... Evil is on a crazy trend for great bikes though. My vote is the following! Is boost that important to you? It's not for me...
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    It's a little unclear to me whether you're proposing waiting because you want Boost, or waiting because the 2016 non-Boost bikes will get discounted. Either are legit reasons for waiting depending on what you want.

CFH
    mtbr member
    Reason for waiting I suppose would be for The Following to come out in 148. The reason this all came around for me is that I broke my fork/wheel in a crash a few weeks ago and got a killer deal on a nice boost wheelset/pike fork. I had planned on upgrading to a new bike this fall/winter anyway, but my crash jump started the whole process...

mtbr member
    If you have a boost wheelset, it makes sense to go with a boost frame. If it's a smoking deal on the old frame and your rear hub is convertible to a 142 thru-axle, I'd consider that option. IMO, I don't think boost matters that much. A simple thru-axle is fine for most riders. If you're on a 26" or 27.5", matters even less. Not like you couldn't ride a bike with QR hubs, is it?
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    IMO, I don't think boost matters that much.
    Quoted for truth.

I've got a 'boost' F+R bike and notice nothing as compared to every other bike I've ever ridden. Overhyped.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

CFH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Quoted for truth.

I've got a 'boost' F+R bike and notice nothing as compared to every other bike I've ever ridden. Overhyped.
    My buddy got me into the boost hype... He said its probably going to be the standard in the next few years. So instead of buying the same fork and another wheel... I might as well go the boost route. Price didnt matter... I got a great deal on both. I just got word that Evil may not even do a boost The following and that they are working on a whole new project for 2017. So Im thinking Ill wait til there is a sale on the mach 429 trail and buy that. Its got great reviews.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    My buddy got me into the boost hype... He said its probably going to be the standard in the next few years. So instead of buying the same fork and another wheel... I might as well go the boost route. Price didnt matter... I got a great deal on both. I just got word that Evil may not even do a boost The following and that they are working on a whole new project for 2017. So Im thinking Ill wait til there is a sale on the mach 429 trail and buy that. Its got great reviews.
    There'll be a whole new slew of BS 'standards' in a few years.
    They'll likely make little to no difference on the trail either.

Best thing about them is all the marketing victims selling their 'outdated' bikes for cheap.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

MCMXCV
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Best thing about them is all the marketing victims selling their 'outdated' bikes for cheap.
    Yep, it's why I just picked up my RIP9 frame/shock for under 1K......... Boost/shmoost.

Digger
    Jul 2016
    I thought pivot was using the DH standard on the rear and not boost, anyways?