mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Giant Trance 3 or Stumpjumper FSR ?

I'm purchasing a mountain bike for my wife. I'd intended to go with the Specialized FSR as it has been for years the most reliably good (well reviewed, consistently improved etc) mid priced mountain bike available. But recently, I've seen a ton of rave reviews for the Giant Trance. Has anyone tried both bikes or frame layouts ? As it turns out, I can find the Stumpjumper a bit cheaper so it has a $300 advantage or so but if the Trance is head and shoulders better, I'd consider it too.

Anyone have experience with both bikes ?

Thanks,

Ben

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Both good bikes, but one is a 4-inch bike and the other is a 5-inch bike. So you might want to decide how much travel you want first.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Specialized FSR 100 that is...

I'm pretty sure the base FSR (FSR 100) I saw (no Discs, $1800 MSRP) is a 100mm bike, which is just fine. I'll be lucky to get my wife to go up and down steep inclines. Big travel is not a priority.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...keTab=techspec

Do you think the Trance has any advantage ? If it's a close choice, I'll just stick with the FSR 100 for now and upgrade the bike later.

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    Are you sure the one you are getting is the Stumpjumper FSR 100 and not the FSRxc Comp? Because if you are getting the Stumpjumper for $300 less than the Trance 3, it means you are getting it for about $1,300, which is a pretty sweet deal. Save for v-brakes vs. discs on the Trance, the Stumpjumper has better components over the Trance, so I would for sure go with the Stumpy, if both fit, and you can still spend those 300 bucks on some discs and be ahead of the game. If you are getting the FSRxc Comp, the components are about the same as the Trance, so it's going to be fit/feel.

FWIW. My wife tested a Trance 3 and a FSRxc (lowest in the FSR line) and she liked the Trance better. The Trance frame fit her better, and the bike had a better feeling to it. So far the Trance is nice, I was able to ride it (we fit about the same size) and the Trance suspension is nice, not a lot of bob and a supple feel. The Trance 3 in particular, I don't like the Duke, it doesn't match the performance in the rear, and it is a little bit flexy. The So1e brakes, I'm not sold on them, they brake, but don't have more power than my v's. Yes, you don't have to squeeze has hard, but power to power, the v's stop you as well. The rest of the bike is pretty nice. FSR vs. Trance? I think both work well, the Trance frame seems on the heavy side, people regularly accuse the FSR of being flexy, but in the end they are going to perform about the same (personal preferences aside) The Trance has more moving parts, I guess, so it means more maintenance? The Trance frames do have an amazing standover clearance, it may make a diference for your wife if she is not very tall but she likes long TT.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

stumpjumper 100 on clearance

Specialized revised pricing some of their bikes about a month ago, the Stumpjumper 100 was one of them. You should be able to get them for $1,200 at your LBS. While they're not disk equiped they are disk-ready and come with the Fox Triad.

Something to think about.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Wow, if the Stumpjumper 100 pricing has been cut thats hard to pass up. You might look at the Trance 2. At my LBS the Trance 2 and the SJ are both priced at $2000.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Mikes Bikes in Palo Alto has the FSR 100 for $1199

The Trance 3 is on sale for $1485. If it's truly a better frame, then maybe the $285 is worth it (plus you get the disc brakes). I had also heard that Giant had shorter top tubes which in my wife's case, would actually be a good thing.

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by ben2e
    The Trance 3 is on sale for $1485. If it's truly a better frame, then maybe the $285 is worth it (plus you get the disc brakes). I had also heard that Giant had shorter top tubes which in my wife's case, would actually be a good thing.
    Woah! That's a good deal! If they have a size that will fit your wife, I would say go for the FSR 100 and be happy. You can get disc brakes installed on that FSR for $285 and end up with a much better package. And, like I said, the So1e on the Trance are nothing to write home about to start with.