Giant trance 2 VS. Jamis dakar xlt 2.0- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Giant trance 2 VS. Jamis dakar xlt 2.0

Giant Trance 2 or the Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0 ? I'm not sure which of these two bikes I should go with. I found a 2004 Jamis and a 2005 Trance for about the same price. Any feedback?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bump and grind
    Giant Trance 2 or the Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0 ? I'm not sure which of these two bikes I should go with. I found a 2004 Jamis and a 2005 Trance for about the same price. Any feedback?
    First I'm a little biased I tried ordering a trance 1 frame, but giants out and isn't shipping another batch until summer, so I got a burner instead.

Those are two pretty different bikes. A 4/4 giant vs a 5/5 Dakar. The Dakar's got a 68.5 HT vs 70.5 so it'll be a bit slower. I haven't trail ridden the Dakar but on a bike with a similar shock rate (motolite) it felt a bit rough (it's a horst link vs faux bar for the Dakar).

Spec wise the Dakar's got the slight edge. XT shifters vs LX, juicys vs hayes XCs. However it's got an ISIS BB vs integrated with the RF Evolve. Fork wise the minute's priced higher, however I'm not sold on SPV in forks. I've got a Reba and it's pretty versatile in setup.

What type of riding will you be doing? What are you riding now?

If you going to be riding really rough trails or hitting some jumps the Dakar will probably work better. If you do more climbing or have tight switch backs the trance will probably work better.

Whatever you decide get a bike that fits you well.
    Last edited by spinjocky; 05-16-2005 at 11:55 PM.