mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Giant Anthem frame vs paint issues?

I own a 2017 Giant Anthem SX, after about 160 miles on her I noticed the paint on the frame chipping on the main triangle below my seat post. It appears to have stress fractures in the paint on the front and rear of frame at the same level, the guys at the LBS had never seen anything like it before and the rep at Giant said he had never seen it on a Giant bike before and that it was just a paint issue and safe to ride. Giant warrantied the frame and the LBS is rebuilding the bike on the new frame as we speak. Really glad I bought new for warranty and super happy with customer service at the LBS and the guys at Giant! So, whats your opinion, frame or paint issue? Ever seen this before?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Anthem frame vs paint issues?-screenshot_20180211-184714.jpg  

Giant Anthem frame vs paint issues?-screenshot_20180211-184558.jpg  

Giant Anthem frame vs paint issues?-screenshot_20180211-184545.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I get so confused when people have to call on warranty and say they are "so happy with them" (Giant in this case). Shouldn't you be pissed off that you had to rely on the warranty?

I like to keep an eye out for 2nd hand bike models being regularly sold with a "brand new frame" as good models to avoid. I realise that Giant bikes are very common, but they certainly seem to be standouts in such sales.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I believe Giant is the largest bike manufacture in the world, so yeah, you are prolly gonna see more issues with Giant bikes than other manufacture. The Bike is awesome, and I have been totally happy with it. I got a lot of bike for the money picking it up on clearance last fall so I will gladly let them replace the frame 10 times if I have to.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Iíve had 2 Trek bikes that have been returned recently and the last one had paint issues so itís definitely not a problem unique to Giant. The difference with your case and mine is that Trek agreed to replace the frame but would t pay to have the old defective bike disassembled and the new frame built up with its parts, even though the defective bike was less than 3 months old!!! Iím glad you got the issue sorted.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thats a bummer you had to pay to have bike rebuilt, bummer dealing with warranty issues but alot easier that buying a whole new bike. I gave guys at the local bike shop 2 six packs of beer as a thank you for helping me out. During the rebuild they discovered an issue with my brake lever and warrantied that too, should get the bike back at the end of the week, will have to pay for new brake pads and one cable, not too bad for basically a brand new bike.