mtbr member
    Jul 2017

full suspension xxl frame fit

I ride 20+ miles on a hardtail and its too much for the back. So I am looking for a full suspension bike.

I was just fooling around looking at different bikes and drew a few lines on a couple models to see how they compared to my Fuse. Get a better idea on fit and learn from what i have already experienced. See image below.

I fit the Fuse pretty good, just needed an extra 70mm stack from stock. (uncut steerer and 38mm riser bars) 680 top tube and 480 reach. the 200mm behind the crank center is fully utilized at my inseam length (37").

I tried the Stumpjumper out but found out that specialized lied about the top tube length. It was 60mm shorter than advertised. Not great for the knees and it already has an offset dropper.

The santa cruz seems the best choice,
    but cost and a starting stack that is 35mm lower than the fuse seems problematic.

thoughts/comments/opinions!!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails full suspension xxl frame fit-stump.jpg  

Last edited by Fuse6F; 12-03-2018 at 01:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Check out Guerrilla Gravity. They make some properly large bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    On my Fuse I put a 140mm Pike fork with long steerer tube and loved the way it handled. Longer travel gives the bike more stack. My Rocky Mountain Element fits about the same.
    2017 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol XXL
    2017 Rocky Mountain Element XXL
    2016 Fuse Pro XXL 29er

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Keep in mind that as you add spacers below the stem you also reduce the reach.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTall View Post
    On my Fuse I put a 140mm Pike fork with long steerer tube and loved the way it handled. Longer travel gives the bike more stack. My Rocky Mountain Element fits about the same.
    Agreed, I have my Auron set at 150mm.
    But what size frame and how tall are you?

GG bikes have good stack height, but they are designed for agressive climbs. I doubt they do 20+ miles on them in the saddle. Knee's would explode!

Anyone with a 37" inseam care to comment on that?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuse6F View Post
    Agreed, I have my Auron set at 150mm.
    But what size frame and how tall are you?

GG bikes have good stack height, but they are designed for agressive climbs. I doubt they do 20+ miles on them in the saddle. Knee's would explode!

Anyone with a 37" inseam care to comment on that?
    Not sure what you mean, but I can do 20 miles on my Trail Pistol easier than my other bikes because it fits me better and rides smoother. I have a 39" inseam.
    2016 Fuse Pro XXL 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    Check out Guerrilla Gravity. They make some properly large bikes.
    full suspension xxl frame fit-gg1b.jpg

As you can see the top tube behind the crank center line is shorter than the nose of the seat. So to bring the knees inline with crank ends for long distance rides would mean a really tall seat height. Further pushing your cg way up above the bikes. This would require even more stack to match. They also fix the crank/seat/chain stay relationship across the size range. This means that this setup is ideal for the middle sized rider.

I would buy a bike from this manufacturer!
    However, I need 200mm via a slacker 73 degree ish seat tube so I had some leg room. Then extended chain stays to about 460 from the 429. They would need to to allow the suspension to cycle or it would hit the seat tube. Unfortunately, they weren't about to redesign the rear suspension system for 1 customer.

you can see why they climb better, the line below the seat sits farthest forward of the rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Sounds like a real conundrum.
    2016 Fuse Pro XXL 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTall View Post
    Not sure what you mean, but I can do 20 miles on my Trail Pistol easier than my other bikes because it fits me better and rides smoother. I have a 39" inseam.
    You mean you can pedal this bike continuous for 20 miles of rolling forest trail with no stopping and have no effect on the knees?

got any pictures of your bike fit?

Im not slamming this bike at all, only the geometry movement. Here is a link to a great article from their website. https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...pistol-review/

Notice the rider part way down is on a size medium bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I set all of my bikes up so have full leg extension regardless of the other geometry. What else is there to affect the knees? I use dropper posts.

I don't have pics.
    2016 Fuse Pro XXL 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you want tall people talking about bike fit, post in the Tall & Clydes forum down the page. Have a look in there for a thread talking about stack and reach for nearly all big bikes. Your research is there waiting for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuse6F View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gg1b.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	396.9 KB 
ID:	1227363

As you can see the top tube behind the crank center line is shorter than the nose of the seat. So to bring the knees inline with crank ends for long distance rides would mean a really tall seat height. Further pushing your cg way up above the bikes. This would require even more stack to match. They also fix the crank/seat/chain stay relationship across the size range. This means that this setup is ideal for the middle sized rider.

I would buy a bike from this manufacturer!
    However, I need 200mm via a slacker 73 degree ish seat tube so I had some leg room.
    I'm 6'5" and own a bike from this manufacturer. It fits just as well as my XXL Hightower LT. The STA on the HTLT is too slack and I have the seat slammed forward so it climbs decent. On my GG Pedalhead, I do have the seat back on the rails a bit but it still puts me in such a fantastic climbing position. The higher cg isn't an issue because I don't do anything technical in the saddle. There's no way I'd go back to a 73 STA.

Guerrilla Gravity does do custom frames btw. Not sure about chainstays but I know they do XXL sizes by request (although their XL is pretty big already).

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    Guerrilla Gravity does do custom frames btw. Not sure about chainstays but I know they do XXL sizes by request (although their XL is pretty big already).

talked to them today about that and Bailey stated.... "They do not do xxl anymore as they cant get the tubing length they need". They will put a shorter seat tube on a bike as it doesnt change anything in their jig. They do not make any other frame modifications.