mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Full Suspension GT STS - Opinions?

I was hoping to get some opinions about a bike I might buy. Tell me what you guys think:

Here is a high resolution picture (same model, different bike):

Actual bike:

Here are some of the specs:

Carbon Fiber/Al Frame
    Shimano XTR Shifters/Levers,
    Shimano XTR Deraillers
    Shimano XT Hubs & Cranks
    Front Disc Brake/Rear Shimano XT V-Brake
    Front Fork Rock Shox Judy XL Long Travel
    Adjustable tension rear suspension

The seller wants $450 for it... Just wondering if this is a good deal or not. Also, I've read some pretty mixed reviews--any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm not a very experienced rider--this will be my first true mountain bike.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    What type of riding are you looing to start doing? For $450 seems like a decent amount of bike. Its out dated etc, but Im sure you will have a good time on it. Just make sure its appropriate for what your looking to do. You wont be climbing mountains with that baby

mtbr member
    It is a really cool old bike with good history. Kinda like getting a nice old sports car from the 60's. But like an old car, you wouldn't want to count on it as a daily performer.

I would not recommend getting a full suspension bike that is that old (>10 years) as it is more likely to break and you will have a much harder time finding replacement parts

pronounced may-duh
    Post the same info over in the Vintage forum and see what kind of reaction you get. Those guys know more about these old bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I had one of those back in the day. I rode it for years. Are you riding trail or all mountain type stuff or XC riding? The bike was fine for XC but terrible on steep, technical trails due to the steep head angle. I could climb it up just about anything but coming back down was an adventure. No disc brake on the rear (the bike in the first picture has some kind of floating disc brake setup? but yours is vbrake). Way, way too twitchy. It was arguably best of the breed back then but it's terrible by today's standards.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, the owner sold it before I had a chance to check it out...

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    Shame I had an STS with Judy XL on it and I loved it. I regret getting rid of it. ;(

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Good Bike, flexy fork.

I had a '96 pre-production STS frameset built up with the Judy XL and RS disc brake. The fork stunk, so I put a Psylo SL on it in 2001 and rode it for a couple more years. My frame was quite different from the ones in your pics. It had a straight seat tube and alluminum head tube area. Yours are the later free ride versions I believe. I live in the mountains of PA and it was an awesome bike. Climbing was phenominal, and once I put the Psylo on it descended great too. I raced it at Mt. Snow in beginner DH and took 5th, so it was a great all arounder. It weighed in at 27.5 lbs with the Judy, almost 29 with the psylo and bigger tires. The only downfall is the high leverage ratio on the shock caused them to fail often. I had a spare and had them rebuilt every year. Mine was the RS Super Deluxe with rebound and compression adjustments. If you find another one buy it, but offer them 300 or so.

Members who have read this thread: 0