Full Susp. 29er For All Around Riding?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Full Susp. 29er For All Around Riding?

I am on the hunt for a new bike and have been all over the board as to what I want. I live in Southwest Florida in an area devoid of both mountains and MTB shops. All shops around here specialize in road bikes.

I want a bike that is capable on urban, pavement, dirt, moderate local single track and possibly a couple trips a year to the mountains. I started out thinking about a budget of $500 but, like always, am now considering spending considerably more to get it right the first time.

I have only been looking at hardtails but now, upon the urging of a friend, I am also considering F/S. I originally ruled out full suspension believing it to be too heavy and inefficient for flat ground. Hetells me that F/S is nothing like it was when I was riding 10 years ago and that he loves his F/S 29er for all types of riding and strongly recommends that I give it a try if it is within my budget.

Problem is, there are virtually zero bikes in my area available to test ride so I come to you, the good people of the MTBR, for opinions

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I hope your budget has increased significantly from the initial $500.. A decent full susser 29er is gonna run you north of 1500 easily

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Like I mentioned, I am considering spending considerably more than the original budget.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It seems like sort of a new category, especially for under $2000. I rode the new Specialized Camber in the 26 inch flavor and liked it, didn't love it. As a 29er I'd probably like it more, I'm considering it because at $2000 it's about as cheap as it gets.

What else is there? Most FS 29ers are above $2200. Stumpjumper, GF HiFi, Depends on your budget. If I only had $1000 to spend I'd get a HT 29er, no question. Where you live, seems like a HT makes more sense anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks, that sounds like good advice.

I guess a better question might be, F/S 26" or HT 29er for my area and usage?

Members who have read this thread: 0