full sus or hardtail for cc racing- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

full sus or hardtail for cc racing

My hardtail cannondale f1000 wore out and I bought a Specialized Stumpjumper Comp FSR last year. I raced it once and it felt slow and havent raced since. I am building a better bike this year but cannot decide between a S-works Epic or a hardtail. Since i already have the stumpjumper, this is going to be a cc race bike. Is it time that a full suspension be a racing bike, or will i be disapointed again? My F1000 was so light and quick that I am leaning towards the hardtail, but all the bikeshops keep steering me to the epic. What should i do?
    Last edited by aarone; 02-21-2004 at 07:49 AM.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aarone
    My hardtail cannondale f1000 wore out and I bought a Specialized Stumpjumper Comp FSR last year. I raced it once and it felt slow and havent raced since. I am building a better bike this year but cannot decide between a S-works Epic or a S-works hardtail. Since i already have the stumpjumper, this is going to be a cc race bike. Is it time that a full suspension be a racing bike, or will i be disapointed again? My F1000 was so light and quick that I am leaning towards the hardtail, but all the bikeshops keep steering me to the epic. What should i do?
    Felt slow - or was slow? There were studies around that showed that many racers subjectively feel a full suspension to be slower, while posting better lap times..

viva la v-brakes!

suspension seat post splits the difference

kind of depends on the kind of terrain you race on. Back in IL where I used to live, totally a hardtail game with mostly hardpack trails with some roots and logs and such. Now here in AZ with a whole lotta rocks, could go either way.

I have a suspension seat post on my race bike and it's great. It allows you to stay seated over rough stuff and keeps the fatigue down, but weighs much less then a FS bike and you can reall hammer on it like a bike is supposed to hammer.

Looking at the Specialized bikes, the Epic is known to be a pretty efficient FS bike, but geez, look at the price difference! Could the shop be steering you towards the Epic because they'll make almost $900 more off of you? The S-Works M5 (I assume this is the one you're looking at) looks like a pretty good deal for what you get.

If you do go FS, take a look at the Titus Racer-X, or Santa Cruz Superlight. Both well respected bikes, and they would save you some money.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.