mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Are Fuji bikes really that bad?

This was posted about a week ago in another forum here:

What the good folks here are trying to say is, if you're looking for info on it because you're doing your due diligence prior to picking up what you think is a nice old bike with good blood lines, you're wasting your time. Fuji made some nice road bikes BITD (think 70's to early 80's), but by the time MTB came along, they were solidly in the C - to D + world of bike manufacturers (worth noting, they are trying at a comeback,and I think they have come up a bit in the last few years, just FYI...) Heavy frames, low end parts, etc. They never made a *nice* MTB. Nor one worthy of collecting, coveting, scouring the interwebs for OE spec, etc.

I'm looking at Fuji bikes right now - a 2008 or 2009 Mt. Fuji Pro at a deep discount or a 2011 Fuji Nevada 1.0. The components seem good (higher end Shimano etc).

Here's the link to the 2011 Nevada: http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/nevada_1_0

Should I avoid these bikes? I'm new at this game so any insights appreciated.

Many thanks,

Joe

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    They have always seemed more like Dept. Store bikes to me. What are the asking for the bike you have linked? The big flag I see on the spec list is the 31lb claimed weight
    "You know you're stupid when your own brain doesn't even try to protect the head that it's in." -P nut

Never trust a fart
    Quote Originally Posted by kid_dynamite
    They have always seemed more like Dept. Store bikes to me. What are the asking for the bike you have linked? The big flag I see on the spec list is the 31lb claimed weight

What kind of bike do you own? How much does it weigh? and what did you pay for it?

To the OP.

Fuji makes excellent bikes. Of course I'm a little biased as I own 4 and sell/service them for a living. A Roubaix Pro road bike, Team RC road bike, Kestrel AirFoil Pro SE and a Tahoe Pro 29er. I race the 29er in the Mid Atlantic Super Series. So it can take the rigors of racing without question.

If they were not good quality bikes, I wouldn't be riding them, let alone owning 2.

The 2011 models are even nicer. Fuji must be doing something right since a Pro-Tour team is using their products with good success.

They are definitely not department store bikes. Most people who ask about bikes automatically think of Trek, Specialized, and Cannondale. But there are other manufacturers out on the market that make nice bikes as well.

I think for the dollar, Fuji give a nice bang for the buck.

The Nevada is an entry level bike, so yes its going to weigh around 30-31 lbs. What do you expect for a bike that MSRP's for $750. Your not going to get lightweight parts that are durable.

Cheap, Light, Strong. Pick 2.

The Mt. Fuji is a nice bike as well, but for carbon, I think its a tad heavy. The weight spec on the web is a tad optimistic. The Mt. Fuji we had in the LBS I work for was a 19 inch frame and it scaled at around 27 lbs.

We sold a couple of these last year, and the customers do like them. With a wheel upgrade and fork upgrade, this bike could get below 25lbs if parts are selected properly.

Also, I'm still not on board with having a carbon bike for hitting the trails, but thats just my opinion, so take it for what its worth. Just an opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    "What kind of bike do you own? How much does it weigh? and what did you pay for it?"

I have an Indy Fab Deluxe I pieced together for $878.00, it's around 22lbs. But, that's neither here or there.

I guess I just haven't looked at entry level bike prices for a while, because that seems pretty spendy. For that kind of cash you can have nice used bike, but that's assuming you know what you're looking at. Good luck!
    "You know you're stupid when your own brain doesn't even try to protect the head that it's in." -P nut

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kid_dynamite
    The big flag I see on the spec list is the 31lb claimed weight
    Thats what you get at the 749 retail price point !!! Doesn't matter what brand it is. All bikes in this price range are using similar aluminum frames made at one of 3 major frame suppliers in taiwan or china. The parts are all pretty much the same - lower-end and heavy. But at that price range you'll get something that can withstand real trail riding to a point. You're not getting that in a $300 bike from target.

To the OP - if $700 or less is your price range just buy the best fitting, lightest bike you can find in the budget. For the reasons I outlined above the name on it doesn't matter. Keep looking for prior model year closeout deals.

thecentralscrutinizer
    I have to agree with frdfandc. Fuji makes a descent bike for the money. They are not on the cutting edge of technology like some companies are, but are typically solid rides.

Never trust a fart
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    I have to agree with frdfandc. Fuji makes a descent bike for the money. They are not on the cutting edge of technology like some companies are, but are typically solid rides.

They are coming along quite nicely with technology advancements.

BB86, tapered head tubes, etc.

As I said before, they aren't the lightest on the market, but IMO I'll take a little bit of extra weight for better durability.

Former Bike Wrench
    Fuji frames are very well built, ride well, and are reliable (I ride an Ideal made frame, the same manufacturer that produces and has majority ownership in Fuji). The weight of the Nevada is the more entry level (though Alivio is really closing in on Mid-Level) parts. And compare it to similar priced Trek, Giant, and Specialized and you'll find the spec and weight are very competitive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    ,,,, But at that price range you'll get something that can withstand real trail riding to a point. You're not getting that in a $300 bike from target.
    Some good info in your post, but you can get an internet bike from Target's website that will hold up to real trail riding. The Forge has better components than that Fuji, but it does cost around 400.

Afric Pepperbird
    If you find a nice, steel 1970's Fuji road bike, snatch it up!

Then fix it up. It'll ride (and sell) nicely!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

FUji Nevada updated

Heres my 2010 FUJI Nevada. I updated the forks to Kinesis Maxlight XLT rigid, Shimano PRO Stealth Evo Carbon seatpost, FSA-SLK Stem, XRoc Carbon handlebars, Mavic XC717 rims, Dati Hubs& Michelin city slicks 1.85".. It weights at 26lbs. Rides amazing with the updates and the Frame is an excellent build! I love my Fuji!!Are Fuji bikes really that bad?-dsc03062.jpgAre Fuji bikes really that bad?-dsc03061.jpgAre Fuji bikes really that bad?-dsc03060.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The Nevada 1.0 is better spec'd than my 2011 Hardrock Disc 26er and probably just slightly lighter.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    I have owned own a Fuji Roubaix road bike for the last 5 years and it has been great. The have much better components for the same price point as other brands. Don't know anything about their MTBs though.
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

mtbr member
    Wife is letting me part out her '93 Fuji Suncrest which was sold as a ridgid bike, full LX, was a very nice bike back in the day well equipped, decent wheels. While they (and other mfg's) make a fair amount of lower end stuff - our local Fuji dealer stocks mostly the lower end stuff that sells to families - obviously they do make higher end bikes. For mountain biking I'm not really that familiar with their current products they are not "bling" bikes you see people coveting and rarely reviewed, etc.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Can't say anything for sure about their moutain bikes, but I did have a chance to race one of their cross bikes this year.

Back in the 80's I thought they were the bomb. Kind of took a more consumer based, budget view of them over the last few years. Fast forward to a cross race this year, me with serious bike issues and a fuji demo saving me from beers an hour earlier.

I was really impressed with how well the bike handled and felt. It really just rode great! Felt very stiff and solid, but no excessively so. Geometry was very nice and it cornered well. End of the story, I may not have considered them as an option in the past, but after testing it out I would put a fuji cross bike into my short list of choices. Also don't think I could get a bike as nice, with as nice a group, for near the same price.
    - 2013 Pivot Mach 429 C
    - 2010 Niner MCR
    - 2009 Cannondale Super Six HM
    - 2007 Santa Cruz Super Light

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    I have owned own a Fuji Roubaix road bike for the last 5 years and it has been great. The have much better components for the same price point as other brands. Don't know anything about their MTBs though.
    Typically that is normal for the brand and sort of is their business plan, spec nicer components than more well advertised brands, usually conventional build frame nothing earth shattering or crazy with good handling angles. Heck back in early 90's that is what led wife to buy her mtn bike, full LX group!

AZ
    banned
    Fuji Roubaix is going to be my next road bike just because they stuck it to the big s.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I picked up a Tahoe Pro 29er because it was cheap. X7 stuff and a Tora fork so nothing remotely exciting but it has been a great bike. Downside is the weight, would not want to race on it but as a trail/snow bike it's been great. There are much nicer bikes in my garage but the Fuji still gets ridden quite often.

Members who have read this thread: 3