FSR XC Pro Disc or Giant VT- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    MORC Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    43

    FSR XC Pro Disc or Giant VT 2/3

    I was going to build a bike but that isn't going to work out... Well, now I'm looking at two bikes, Specialized FSR XC Pro Disc or the Giant VT 2 or 3. The FSR components are nice but to get that in the VT I would have to get the 2, which is much more. But, I realy like the VT frame. So now I'm stuck between the components or frame. Which would you recommend? If VT, should I get the 2 or 3 and upgrade? Oh, and I realy like red which the FSR is but VT not... So hard... Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by rpanning; 03-05-2004 at 09:31 PM.

  2. #2
    Demon Cleaner
    Reputation: Structure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    730
    I've always thought the VT compared with the Enduro line not the FSR. Not sure what model years you are looking at, but where I live the VT 2 and Enduro Comp are roughly similar in price. The VT 3 is a bit less.

    Of the two the VT and Enduro are both great bikes and you can't go wrong. Of the Vt and FSR, the choice is easy. I'd pick the VT everytime without even a second thought.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    81

    vt

    vt owner myself trust me its worth it vt rocks!

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by rpanning
    I was going to build a bike but that isn't going to work out... Well, now I'm looking at two bikes, Specialized FSR XC Pro Disc or the Giant VT 2 or 3. The FSR components are nice but to get that in the VT I would have to get the 2, which is much more. But, I realy like the VT frame. So now I'm stuck between the components or frame. Which would you recommend? If VT, should I get the 2 or 3 and upgrade? Oh, and I realy like red which the FSR is but VT not... So hard... Thanks for any input.
    Have you ridden them? If so, which one did you prefer? Go with that one, and get whatever parts pick you can afford on that model.

    FSR XC & VT are not really aimed at the same rider, as previously noted. The FSR Enduro should be your comparison to the VT for apples to apples. If you prefer the XC you may want to open up your options to other 3-4" travel bikes in your price range.

    Good luck, and I recommend you pick the bike that feels the best to you and worry about parts second. Good parts are nice, but you need to love the ride first.

  5. #5
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,887

    Just for fun...

    Hereís the problem with comparing bikes aimed at two different riders.

    As is mentioned above, you are basically comparing apples to oranges. If you want to eat apples (ride XC), letís compare apples (XC bikes) to apples (XC bikes) and find you the finest apples (XC bike) available. If you want to eat oranges (trail ride with more travel), letís compare oranges (long travel trail bikes) to oranges (long travel trail bikes).


    Me? I like oranges. Now apples may very well make me climb more efficiently and get me to the top of a long climb a minute or two faster than oranges will and apples even make me smirk a little on the way down a hill. BUT, an orange has me sportiní a HUGE POOP EATINí GRIN all the way down the hill and thatís what makes me truly happy.

    The problem is that we donít know if you prefer apples or oranges.

    Key to translating the above nonsense:

    Apple = Specialized FSR

    Orange = Giant VT2

    And furthermoreÖ. There are many other varieties of apples and oranges out there too, but personally, I think that if you have chosen some of the best produce available. >8P

    Iím hungryÖ Let's eat!

  6. #6
    MORC Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    43
    Hi, I forgot to update this thread. I actualy went with the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert, which wasn't even one of the choices here. I went with it because I do more XC than anything else. I did go to my local dealers and tried them out, I likeed the FSR better, Fox Float Triad is great. Anyway, that's what I went with and it's great! Now I just need it to warm up and melt the snow... Thanks for all of your input!

  7. #7

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by rpanning
    Hi, I forgot to update this thread. I actualy went with the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert, which wasn't even one of the choices here. I went with it because I do more XC than anything else. I did go to my local dealers and tried them out, I likeed the FSR better, Fox Float Triad is great. Anyway, that's what I went with and it's great! Now I just need it to warm up and melt the snow... Thanks for all of your input!
    You used the best possible decision criteria--the ride. As it happens we have similar taste 'cause I'm about to purchase, if I can find one, a Stump FSR too. I rode a buddies and loved it. I've got an older FSR too.

    I also considered the Blur, but the deal I got at my LBS on the Stump sealed the deal. I liked the Blur about as much as the Stump. I couldn't really develop a preference. The price was the ultimate deal maker for me.

    A close friend has the Heckler. We do exactly the same rides. It just wasn't for me at all. I'm certain he thinks the same about my current FSR XC (and will probably think it about the '04 too). It just goes to show how people who do the exact same stuff can have dramatically different preferences on equipment. It also goes to show that if you love to ride you'll have fun on just about anything.

  8. #8
    Team Blindspot
    Reputation: S-Works's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,986

    What He Said...

    Quote Originally Posted by Structure
    I've always thought the VT compared with the Enduro line not the FSR. Not sure what model years you are looking at, but where I live the VT 2 and Enduro Comp are roughly similar in price. The VT 3 is a bit less.

    Of the two the VT and Enduro are both great bikes and you can't go wrong. Of the Vt and FSR, the choice is easy. I'd pick the VT everytime without even a second thought.

    But I'd pick the FSR.

Similar Threads

  1. Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro Disc or Cannondale Jekyll 1000
    By coverthawk in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 08:37 PM
  2. '00 Stumpy FSR Pro bearing upgrade
    By xcgeek in forum Specialized
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 09:33 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.