FS rear coil shock upgradeability?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

New question here. FS rear coil shock upgradeability?

1. Anyone know if the rear coil shock on either the IH Warrior Trail DS '06 or real coil on the IBEX Ignition is upgradeable to an air shock? If so, is it as simple as swapping them out 1:1? I know this will be something I look to do in the future.

2. Can't seem to find any data that indicates if the (Marzocchi MZIII vs MZ Comp suspension forks) and the X-Fusion Glyde R Coil Shock provide lock out ability. - This is an important feature for me!

3. Are the MZIII and MZ Comp forks pretty comparable?

Freshly Fujified

Some answers

1) Both shocks should be upgrqadable. You need to find out FROM THE MANUFACTURER what the correct shock length (eye to eye) and stroke would be. An example would be expressed like this: 7 X 2. The first measurement is the length of the shock (in inshes) from eye to eye, the second measurement is the amount of stroke (in inches). DO NOT deviate from these measurements. They need to be the same on the replacement shock as the original.

2) No, I do not believe those forks or shocks have lockouts. They are very basic models, and if they had such a feature, it would probably be prominently listed in it's description.

3) Yes, the forks are similar.

If you're already looking to upgrade, you need to give serious consideration to buying a bike that has the right features and buy that bike. In the long run, you will save yourself a lot of time and money.

I hope this info helps.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I've got a IH Warrior Trail DS '06 so maybe I can help you.

The MZ III has no lock out on it.

I think that you should be able to change out the rear shock with most any 7.5" eye-to-eye x 2" stroke air shock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Ignition rear shock is 6.5 X 1.5 and it is very easy to switch out. Maybe the hardest bit is getting reducers. It uses M8 X 23mm and M8 X 50mm.

I switched the rear to a Cloud Nine I got cheap and it did wonders to it. The shocks on sale at Santa Cruz right now will keep you from having a $300 rear shock on a $200 frame:

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/cat...hp?cPath=25_72

Members who have read this thread: 0