FS frame suitable for use with a 80mm fork?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

FS frame suitable for use with a 80mm fork?

Is there any full suspension frames that are suitable for use with a 80mm travel fork? Links would be preferred.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned

mtbr member
    I guess I should mention that I would be looking for a frame for 26 inch wheels.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Your going to have much more sucess finding 100mm travel frames . Trying to use the 80 mm fork that you already have ?

Dirt Deviant
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Your going to have much more sucess finding 100mm travel frames . Trying to use the 80 mm fork that you already have ?
    Yes I was seeing if I went to a FS XC frame if I could swap as much stuff as possible from my Reken to what ever frame I got. Which includes my brand new Manitou R7 Elite. It would be a while before any kind of frame upgrade, just looking for my options.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    These 2 are the closest I think I have found http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=1038 and http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=1037.

The first one is a old design, with a unknown rear shock. The second one comes with a fork. I dont think either of them are worthy of the parts that would be put on them. I am not saying I want to go high end, just better than these.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    EDIT : Nevermind .

mtbr member
    Never would have occurred to me that it was so difficult to find a FS frame with 3 inches of rear travel.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    giant anthem ( not the anthem X )

you could probably find a good deal on one of these used too.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    +1 Anthem. Though a lot of people prefer them with 100mm up front to mellow the handling

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    Never would have occurred to me that it was so difficult to find a FS frame with 3 inches of rear travel.

The difficulty in finding one is indicitive of the trend towards longer travel XC rides . You may consider moving up in travel , many more picks , much better deals . I know you just bought a fork , at this point it may not figure in future plans .

mtbr member
    It's not worth it to get a frame based on a fork that you have. Get the best frame you can afford and look for deals on a used fork. RS forks are a bargain when they go on sale or are used.

FS bikes are sweet. Very comfortable...you'll like the change.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    It's not worth it to get a frame based on a fork that you have.

why not? he has all the parts he wants, he just wants a different frame. Buying a used frame, in good condition, can give him a completely different feeling ride, at a fraction of the cost of buying a whole new bike. People buy frames only, all the time.

If all his swap-over parts are crap... then, that might be a different story.

mtbr member
    If I can find a frame that is suitable, I will just swap the frame. The Giant looks interesting, lets keep the suggestions coming.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member

A decent used frame

The ones that I would look at would be Specialized Epic, Fuel 100-110, Giant NRS and maybe a high end GF Sugar. I am pretty sure all had 80 mm forks standard around 2004-2005. The part swap might not go as cheap as you would want. For example Giant uses integrated headsets. The derailleurs and seatposts might also be different. Heres an example of a fuel that has a Fox fork and handlebars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Trek-Fuel-XTR-OC...item3eff3e7d45

mtbr member
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Giant-NRS-Air-fr...item4ceef27c75

Makes me wish I actually had the cash to buy it. Sure there will be more like it when the time to buy comes around.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Do you really want to purchase a frame that has no warranty ?

mtbr member
    Not particularly, but its not like the one I have now has one. Pretty sure it was long gone with the custom paint. I would prefer a new 3 inch travel frame, but if they dont exist my choices are to get a new frame and fork, or get a older frame.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    How many Rupee's do you want to spend ? Limit ?

EDIT: 44 Rupee's to the American dollar .

mtbr member
    Any amount would be good. I just want to see my options, then I will have a dollar amount (Rupee amount) to shoot for.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned

mtbr member
    Would that Yeti handle good with a 80mm fork? It is in a price range I am comfortable with, so if there are any other options for that price keep them coming.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Would that Yeti handle good with a 80mm fork? It is in a price range I am comfortable with, so if there are any other options for that price keep them coming.

IMHO , the handling would be pretty quick , which is fine if you are accustomed to that . Some may find it abit too twitchy , riding style , personel preference and type of trails will figure in this .

mtbr member
    Tomac Carbide will work with 80mm or 100mm. I'm running 100mm on mine so I can't comment on the handling with an 80mm.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...ain+Bike+Frame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drag_slick
    Tomac Carbide will work with 80mm or 100mm. I'm running 100mm on mine so I can't comment on the handling with an 80mm.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...ain+Bike+Frame

Lots of $$$$.

What's your budget Dremmer?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    small and extra small titus racer x

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    When I bought my dually frame a whiles back the company had geo numbers for both the 80 and 100mm settings.

For the difference in forks it was about 1 deg in the head angle. So as long as you are not looking at a bike that's already quick (71+ deg IMO), you won't be hurting the geometry too much.

Balancing the suspension might be a different concern. Most frames are now 100mm+ in rear travel and finding a 80mm or 90mm may prove a challenge. Used to be Euro bikes were shorter travel than their XC American counterparts, don't know if it is still true. Other option would be to look at some of the smaller builders who can help out. A custom would be pricy, but you can get exactly what you want.

good luck,

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Lots of $$$$.

What's your budget Dremmer?
    Less than the full Carbon Tomac posted above would be nice. I was hoping more towards 600 to 1000, so the Yeti works for the budget. I was hoping something more like the Ace, that needs 100mm.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    I know Manitou makes a 100mm version of the R7 Elite. What would a conversion cost to make my 80mm fork 100mm?
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned

mtbr member
    I will keep my eye on that if nothing else pops up.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    What does anyone know about this frame http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=48467

The design looks interesting to me, and the 48cm which is just about 19 inches might be perfect. I am trying to find there website for info right now.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

banned
    I remember seeing sub-4" travel 26" FS frames a while back when I was perusing frames online, but now I can only find one.

Here's an interesting option for US$400-500 (depending on size):

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=32041

95-120mm adj rear travel, and a slack HA (68/69*). A handful of good reviews. 2 lbs heavier than the Yeti, though.

It would *seem* to me that you could use the 95mm travel and your present fork and still have reasonable geometry & handling. Then you could upgrade to a longer fork in the future and adjust the rear travel accordingly.

I'll gladly accept admonishment if this is a bad suggestion -- still learning myself

AZ
    banned
    Bump for the night crew .

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It's not worth it to get a frame based on a fork that you have. Get the best frame you can afford and look for deals on a used fork. RS forks are a bargain when they go on sale or are used.
    This is good advice. I've spent many years on short travel forks, so I have nothing agianst a nice 80mm fork, but for a new FS build you really want to go at least 100mm. 100-120 is now pretty much the standard for XC Full Suspension. Trying to go 80 not only limits your frame choices significantly, it also is going to limit the capabilities of your build. If you want to go FS, do it right and go at least 100mm.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    I hear what a few of you guys are saying, and it does make sense but I dont see a reason to spend 1000 to 1500 dollars to replace my frame and fork just because the market is going towards 100mm of travel or more. If I can find a good frame that can take my $400.00 brand new fork, I would be more tempted to go that way.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    but I dont see a reason to spend 1000 to 1500 dollars to replace my frame and fork .
    Now come on, Dremer, you know damn well you can get a frame and fork for a lot cheaper than that (I believe you're familiar with Pricepoint and Sette)
    And I know for a fact that you didn't pay anywhere $400 for that "$400 fork".

100mm+ forks on full suspensions aren't just a "market" thing. The whole point of a full suspension bike is the Suspension. And 80mm just does not let you take full advantage of what a modern full suspension bike can do. It wasn't all that many years ago that I couldn't imagine needing more than 80mm for XC. But once you spend some time with 100+, you'll understand. I'm currently running bikes with rigid, 63mm, 80mm, 100mm, 120mm, and 130mm, all for XC (though the 130mm build could technically be called AM), so I have some experience in this area. Your 80mm R7 would be great on a lightweight XC hardtail (maybe put it on one of those Sette Carbons), but you're probably going to regret buying a short travel full suspension frame.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    A larger travel XC fram has now caught my eye. Its a new old stock KHS, still looking for info on it. It has 4 inches of rear travel but is cheap enough that I could put a nice fork on it and spend less than the Yeti, and a lot of other bikes.
    Last edited by Dremer03; 04-29-2010 at 02:54 PM.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    /\ This x infinity , not baggin on you Dan , but you are painting yourself into a corner . Borrow a 100/120 mm travel bike and test it out . I have em from 80 to 160 mm travel and there is a clear performance advantage to the longer travel .

Never trust a fart

mtbr member
    ^The KHS 204 is the one I have my eye on.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    If you're going FS get a proper FS with decent amount of travel. 80-100 is really not much at all.
    Even though I'm still not pushing my 6" FS to it's full potential, it's a VERY forgiving bike. I've landed terrible jumps and made lots of mistake that I would have paid for dearly on lesser suspension. All I had been riding for the past few months was my Flite. Rode the Razzo 29er today and the first curb I jumped my lower back reminded me why I have a FS...Comfort and tech terrain.

mtbr member
    I dont think I need to get a 6 inch travel bike. I dont go big and I dont plan on going big. I much prefer a faster ride. Just looking for a bit more comfort.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    What kind of geo are you looking for ?

mtbr member
    What kind of geo are you looking for ?
    XC geometry 70 to 71 degree headtube angle.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    The KHS is a pretty good deal. If you notice the suspension is very similar to the Giant NRS which was similar to the Specialized Stumpjumper. Giant when they came out with the NRS got in trouble with Specialized and had to pay royalties on the design to Specialized. They also had to put a sticker on the bike that said Licensed By Specialized Stumpjumper. KHS has kept the licensing agreement with Specialized. There are lots of used frames out there if you throw the FSR Stumpjumper into the mix. They tend to be a little over priced thats why I mentioned the NRS.

mtbr member
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member

Good if its your size

[quote=Dremer03]good deal?

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=49188&cat=7[/quote]

I think you need to be about 511- 600 tall for the 20 inch frame. KHS went with a slightly shorter top tube than Specialized or Giant had on their FS bikes from the same year. The only downside I see on the older frames is that they have older shocks and the newer ones will have pro-pedal. Pro-pedal is designed to minimize the bobbing. You dont hear as much about pedal bob now days but it was a reall issue in older bikes. The four-bar though is as good as any to minimize bob. Still you will want to stay in the seat on climbs.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=borregokid]
    good deal?

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=49188&cat=7[/quote]

I think you need to be about 511- 600 tall for the 20 inch frame. KHS went with a slightly shorter top tube than Specialized or Giant had on their FS bikes from the same year. The only downside I see on the older frames is that they have older shocks and the newer ones will have pro-pedal. Pro-pedal is designed to minimize the bobbing. You dont hear as much about pedal bob now days but it was a reall issue in older bikes. The four-bar though is as good as any to minimize bob. Still you will want to stay in the seat on climbs.
    well I just so happen to be 5' 11" and according to the listing it has the exact same top tube length as my current bike. I dont mind going used to get in to FS riding, and most of my parts including my higher end fork will bolt on to it, which makes me like it more. I offered the seller $200.00 with shipping, waiting for a response. I can always upgrade the shock if I run in to issues with bobbing.

I have been riding more aggressive XC trails, and I really think I will enjoy it more with a small travel FS bike.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Whats it going to cost to upgrade the shock , 300.00 ? False economy IMHO . Higher end fork ? There are much better choises if you are willing to wait it out . The model year is coming to an end , there are going to be some great close out deals very soon . Just sayin .

mtbr member
    Whats it going to cost to upgrade the shock , 300.00 ? False economy IMHO . Higher end fork ? There are much better choises if you are willing to wait it out . The model year is coming to an end , there are going to be some great close out deals very soon . Just sayin .
    Maybe another BMC closeout deal by the end of the year by CC!!!!!!!!

AZ
    banned
    Maybe another BMC closeout deal by the end of the year by CC!!!!!!!!

Still available in some sizes , best deal on the intardweb IMHO .

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...RODUCT.ID=7042

mtbr member
    I'm not interested in spending 1400 dollars on a whole bike, when all I need is a frame. I have 300 dollars cash right now that I am willing to spend on a frame. Been scouring Ebay, and MTBR for a suitable frame to maximize the amount of parts I can swap. Really only going to consider new or used frames in that price range, that will accept a 80mm fork. I have come to this decision after speaking with the people I ride with.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Members who have read this thread: 0