Thread: FS Frame Advice

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

FS Frame Advice

I have a set of componenets that I would like to swap over to a new FS frame. I need advice on what to go for. I am I suppose an intermediate rider, primarily single track w/ bursts of steep downhill. I live in MT and so ride many rocky rutted trails w/ lots of climbing. I'm looking for a x-country frame w/ 3-4" of travel. I'm hoping to spend well under a grand for just the frame and rear shock. Suggestions??

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I must add that I'm not extremely brand loyal. I've ridden cannondales and specialized. I'm looking for a good quality FS frame that won't break the bank.

T.W.O.
    If you get used then you have more choices. I don't know many good FS frame well under a grand.
    3 weeks ago you could probably scored some Titus RacerX, Motolilte for under a grand from Jensen.

As for used, try Intense Spider, Ellsworth Truth, Santa Cruz Blur, Giant Trance(X), Anthem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Well, let's just say around a grand. "well" under is a bit extreme. looking to stay under a grand.

T.W.O.
    Above frames I mentioned are great for your situation, very XC on the climb and stable enough on the steep descend. It's very tough to get a new frame at a grand though. I'd suggest you focus on 4" travel as 3" is quite rare nowadays.

Another suggestion would be the used Cannondale Rush, that you can get the bike with lefty for about a grand, check CL, Carbon Rush frame on eBay is about that price as well. I like the way they climb and descend. Suspension does firm up a bit during hard brake on descend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The SC Superlight MAY work. Frame alone retails for $900, but if you get one sale somewhere or used and find a used rear shock 1k is doable and sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I was also going to suggest the superlight. other option is to get a KHS XC 604 and swap out the rear shock to an pr/pr23.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    How about a Giant Anthem X3. You can pick up one used well under $1k for a complete bilke. 4" front and rear , Fox rp2 and F100rl. Climbs fantastic and decends fine with your thighs on the seat!

mtbr member
    same question, but looking at ~$500...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by William_Cannon
    same question, but looking at ~$500...
    khs xc 604 for sure. only other decent option is the sette ace frame. the khs is a solid frame, bit heavy for a xc frame but good none the less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    khs xc 604 for sure. only other decent option is the sette ace frame. the khs is a solid frame, bit heavy for a xc frame but good none the less.
    hmmm almost 7 lbs for the khs... What does $750 buy you?

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by William_Cannon
    hmmm almost 7 lbs for the khs... What does $750 buy you?
    Lighter frame , there are plenty of lighter frame
    Used
    Intense spider
    Intense 5.5
    SC superlight
    Cannondale Prophet, rush, rize
    Just have to look, I have Ellsworth moment for 650 on the classified. There are good deals out there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    titus are blowing out last years frames after the on-one buyout, on their webstore for under a grand.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm doing the same thing, except with a smaller budget. I had almost enough parts laying to build a fs. After checking the reviews, I went with a new old stock frame off ebay.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...94#post7679994

Members who have read this thread: 0