FS bike w/ 1300 budget- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

FS bike w/ 1300 budget

hello all, I'm currently shopping for a fs bike. I would like a bike that would be good to do everything moderately. Im 5' 9 , 175lbs budget is around 1300. I've recently rode the santa cruz superlight and I really liked it. I was just wondering if there were any other bikes out that I can compare it to.

ride hard take risks
    Welcome aboard the MTBR forum

The SL is a sweet bike, cant say anything bad about it. There are many great bike out there to pick from it is impossible to say one is better than the other, it's all about what gives you that warm fuzzy feeling. Check out a Ibex Asta also, they are a net company that offers top notch bikes at a excellent price.

https://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-RCE-Details.html

<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="350" width="420"><tbody><tr align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="bottom"><td colspan="3" height="120"></td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="middle"> <td height="12" width="25">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Portland, OR
    depends, you say you want a bike for a little bit of everything. tight singletrack to technical descents but also wanting to climb all the way up the hill? sounds like an AM rig too me.

The asta is a great choice, ibex also has a series called the atlas, which is a singple pivot AM/FR bike.

There are also a few more options out there, look at the K2 lithium http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....=7&category=55

And the hollowpoint http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....=7&category=55

Both those bikes dont have as nice of component spec as the asta, but they'll get the job done just fine too.

I tried out the K2 about a week ago, my friend had ordered one. really a pretty nice bike. I've never ridden a hollowpoint or an asta, but I trust both companies on quality and customer service.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I can speak very highley of the IronHorse MKIII or the Ibex Asta Dogonfr recommended.
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    is there any lbs in san jose,ca that carry ibex bikes? I really want to try it. Is there possibly a bike with a similar feel? Also how do the components on the asta compare to superlight? I really want to get the best deal on my bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That's the only snag- there is no such thing as an Ibex LBS. You have to order factory direct which is how they manage to keep the prices so low (no middleman taking a cut).

My best advice is to do what I do: Understand what it is you want, what kind of components, what kind of terrain you will ride most. Set up a target frame weight, research the components. Go to the LBS and figure out which size works for you. Only after you are confident in such info should you place your order. Ibex does have a nice exchange policy but the customer pays for shipping. Why waste money?
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

ride hard take risks
    Unfortunatly I dont have the Asta any more, I do have the Atlas if you would like to meet sometime in San Rafael we can do a ride & you can test the Atlas. The Atlas is a AM bike more than a XC though. You can post on the Ibex site looking for a test ride, there are a few Asta owners around the San Jose area.

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    i just came back from the performance bike shop and i tested the 06 mkiii sport. its a really nice bike but I was just wondering about the shox it comes with. How does it compare to the ibex asta? its listed for $999 at the shop here are the specs http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....=7&category=55

*Contents Under Pressure
    you can also look into the offerings from trek/spec/giant. im sure they have bikes in your pricerange plus you will get to buy from lbs with piece of mind
    There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I think that Iron Horse, Mongoose, Ibex, Motobecane offer the best value in the FS department without overcharging for brand name or patented suspension (Mongoose has Freedrive and IH has DW-Link, but their closeout prices are very low for their 2006 models.)

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by hotfeat1227
    you can also look into the offerings from trek/spec/giant. im sure they have bikes in your pricerange plus you will get to buy from lbs with piece of mind
    buying from a lbs isnt really a good thing in his case. a lbs $1300.00 bike is junk. usually marked up $3-500.00 just because of the middle man.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    well, I've looking around the forums for a couple hours now. I'm pretty close to buying the mkiii because performance cycle has a 20% off coupon. im just wondering if the mkiii frame is a good base for upgrading parts like shocks, fork etc. or is the asta a better choice. also when i test rode the mkiii i don't think there was a lockout feature on the shocks. please correct me if I'm wrong. I am willing to spend more for asta if the frame is better quality.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    JeffJ, thats not a fair argument. I would buy from LBS if the bay area had prices like that, but guess what, a 16 y/o like me isn't going to drive all the way down to socal to buy that -.-

I agree that Wheelworld has some great prices, but only if you live near them.

Btw, Im talking about giant and kona and trek and specialized,

obviously IH is a good deal like i said before, and it is easily accessible at almost everywhere. Jamis is not a "big big" name brand either so...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I think K2 lithium 4.0 has good components.
    actually, I have 06 lithium 3.0 and I like it
    also worth to spend $100 more for lithium 4.0 instead 3.0 from RS.
    you can see some k2 bikes on k2 forum section.
    good luck wth new bike

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by sh1ftgear
    i just came back from the performance bike shop and i tested the 06 mkiii sport. its a really nice bike but I was just wondering about the shox it comes with. How does it compare to the ibex asta? its listed for $999 at the shop here are the specs http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....=7&category=55
    They are 2 different bikes, the Asta is a XC bike capable of some AM at 4" travel. The MKIII is a AM bike that can also handle mild FR with 5" travel. The new Black for on the IH is a decent fork but once broken in you may need a stiffer spring. The IH has lower quality components & brakes that the Asta.

The Atlas is the bike you can compare the MKIII to.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ATLAS-EXP-Details.html

Bottom line they are all very good bikes more than capable of shredding just about anyplace taken so that leaves a component comparison.
    Formotion Products

Portland, OR
    well, I've looking around the forums for a couple hours now. I'm pretty close to buying the mkiii because performance cycle has a 20% off coupon. im just wondering if the mkiii frame is a good base for upgrading parts like shocks, fork etc. or is the asta a better choice. also when i test rode the mkiii i don't think there was a lockout feature on the shocks. please correct me if I'm wrong. I am willing to spend more for asta if the frame is better quality.
    Ibex and ironhorse have pretty similar quality. I dont think the manitou black has a lockout, the manitou radium might. you could always go back and check. ibex currently has "SE" editions of the asta has some REALLY nice components. much nicer than the ironhorse but it is a little more spendy (about $200.00 over your budget.)

Heres a link to the SE model http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-EXP-SE-Details.html remember the asta is more an XC/AM bike, rathar than a AM/FR bike.

You can always go back and see if you like the mk III again, if you're going to buy it, sign up for the like performance bikes member discount or something like that, saves you like 10% then go in with the 30% off coupon

asta is a great bike, I really like the mk III, you get the mark three tomorrow if you want, you'd have to wait for the asta to get too your house. look at small things too. color, do you like that kind of cool green? or would you rather have the fresh blue? ultimatley your choice, if you want to do a little more XC/AM riding then get the asta, if a little more FR/AM then get the mk III. the trance I would say would be your best choice, but you dont want to drive that far, and honestly I dont blame you.

You'll love either bike.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuodo
    JeffJ,Jamis is not a "big big" name brand either so...
    Dont let my Girl KP hear you say that

http://www.parktool.com/repair/bikemap.asp
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    hey, its not really an insult =P

You know when a company is big when people are like "Woah dude, its a Specialized/ Trek/ Giant/Santa Cruz"

ie. uneducated public referring to bikes by their brand name instead of model.

ride hard take risks
    hey, its not really an insult =P

You know when a company is big when people are like "Woah dude, its a Specialized/ Trek/ Giant/Santa Cruz"
    I know, just couldn't resist.

KP is a sweat heart though, very awesome.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    i just went back to the shop again to ride one more time but this time i talked to the salesman asking for his opinion on the mkiii. he said something about the chain stay gets messed up because of the frame design and he said the 07 models fixed it. After hearing that I kinda tossed it out of my list. I'll be going to REI tomorrow and check out the K2 bikes. Also can someone explain to me whats the difference with xc/am and am/fr thanks for all your help guys

Portland, OR
    XC and AM are more like, moderate to heavy trail riding. AM/FR would be trailriding with a lot more stunts (ladders, drops larger than 3 feet. jumps etc.)
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mbtr member
    do you guys really think that someone who doesn't know the difference between xc/am and am/fr can tell the difference between the ibex lines and what would best suit him? I doubt it. I'd think this is a case where the buyer is better off getting 'lesser components' at an LBS where he has somewhere to go where someone can (hopefully) explain the differences and merits of the bikes on the rack. Find a good lbs where the people are nice and happy to explain stuff and chat, it really makes a difference on down the road.

Eventually he will know for himself how to identify good/bad/inappropriate design, do drivetrain and assorted maintenance, etc, and ibex would be more worthy of consideration.

as for the mkiii, i wouldn't worry about the chain marking the frame too much. It's a mtn bike, if it lives all its days without some scuffs and blemishes, it isn't being used correctly.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I am very curious as to how everyone on the forums can tell what components are better than others. can you guys give me some advice on how to learn this? I've been searching around forums and other websites trying to compare shocks forks etc. and I had no luck

Portland, OR
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mbtr member
    companies try to arrange their product into tiers of quality. shimano goes xtr, xt, lx, deore, alivio, altus, acera. Sram has numbers that go down, starting with x-o, 9, 7, 5, 4, 3. That covers you for drivetrain, and most shimano brakes. really, for drivetrain, deore/sx-5 gets the job done and anything above is just more refined shifting, lighter weight, and sometimes longer lifespan.

Suspension is less straightforward because its impossible to have light/stiff or plush/good pedaling at the same time, so theres different product at different price points with different focus. Brakes everyones got a preference, and the expensive stuff is usually what people prefer.

The geometry of the bike will influence the ride more than any component, so if you can ride the bike on dirt, that's definitely the way to go. Palo Alto bike connection and the Specialized image store in mtn view both will rent you a bike for a day so you can give it a whirl, and i think they knock your rental price off your purchase price when you buy.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

R.I.P. DogFriend
    JeffJ, thats not a fair argument. I would buy from LBS if the bay area had prices like that, but guess what, a 16 y/o like me isn't going to drive all the way down to socal to buy that -.-

I agree that Wheelworld has some great prices, but only if you live near them.

Btw, Im talking about giant and kona and trek and specialized,

obviously IH is a good deal like i said before, and it is easily accessible at almost everywhere. Jamis is not a "big big" name brand either so...
    I wasn't addressing you in particular, especially since you are neither the OP nor the one that called a $1,300 LBS FS bike "junk". You may not be willing or able to make a jaunt to save several hundred dollars and avoid "junk", but others might be.

Also, you can have a friend or relative that does live nearby walk in and pay and they will ship those bikes to you. If you live in the bay area, the chances of knowing someone in SoCal that could do that for you are pretty good.

taikuodo: "obviously IH is a good deal like i said before, and it is easily accessible at almost everywhere. Jamis is not a "big big" name brand either so..."

You're 16, so I'll give you a break on this one, but Jamis has had a respectable presence in MTB for quite a long time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    for the specialized image store in mtn view, what the store name you are talking about? is it www.bikespring.com?

mbtr member
    yeah, thats the one.

fwiw, i had the exact same budget as you 6 months ago and went with a hardtail. I could get pretty much everything i wanted in a bike for that much as a HT, but would have to compromise on some stuff if i went FS. I think they're equally fun to ride (provided its a bike with 'trail' or 'am' and not 'xc' geometry), so i went HT.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Kick ass bikes. Even better prices!

But who rides a 14.5 frame? IMO the sizes reflect the price. You won't see any L/19 for that price.

mtbr member
    Harbor Country is selling '06 Mongoose Teocali Elites on Ebay for $1299 shipped. Great components for the price and the Freedrive system really works. More of an AM/FR bike if that is what you are looking for.
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ebay is usually 1000 shipped, and I think Jenson has better prices.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...icycle+06.aspx

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    XC and AM are more like, moderate to heavy trail riding. AM/FR would be trailriding with a lot more stunts (ladders, drops larger than 3 feet. jumps etc.)
    I'm currently trying to decide on what type of bike I really need. A xc/am or am/fr. So from my understanding of what you are saying an am/fr would have more suspension travel for drops and a possibly a stronger frame for the abuse? whereas the xc/am have less travel? and since its not meant for heavy abuse the frame must be lighter? So I'm kind of thinking am/fr would probably be a better buy because of the sturdy frame. please correct me if I'm wrong thanks

Portland, OR
    I'm currently trying to decide on what type of bike I really need. A xc/am or am/fr. So from my understanding of what you are saying an am/fr would have more suspension travel for drops and a possibly a stronger frame for the abuse? whereas the xc/am have less travel? and since its not meant for heavy abuse the frame must be lighter? So I'm kind of thinking am/fr would probably be a better buy because of the sturdy frame. please correct me if I'm wrong thanks
    You've pretty much got it right. there are frames that blend into both categories, like my jamis komodo for example, it can do XC all day long, its a light hardtail frame. but you can also take it on the hardest trails whistler has to offer.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

ride hard take risks
    You've pretty much got it right. there are frames that blend into both categories, like my jamis komodo for example, it can do XC all day long, its a light hardtail frame. but you can also take it on the hardest trails whistler has to offer.
    Ahhh HT wall ride
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stretch169
    Harbor Country is selling '06 Mongoose Teocali Elites on Ebay for $1299 shipped. Great components for the price and the Freedrive system really works. More of an AM/FR bike if that is what you are looking for.
    What about the seat post not being able to go down that far. Is this a problem for you? I normally take my seat post all the way down when doing slow technical work on steep descents.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmongoose
    What about the seat post not being able to go down that far. Is this a problem for you? I normally take my seat post all the way down when doing slow technical work on steep descents.
    If you slam your post this is not the bike for you, but if you slam the seat that far you probibly have the wrong size frame.
    Formotion Products

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Ahhh HT wall ride
    yea, then to an awesome crash leaving a nice scar.

There will never be a year that I come home from whistler not having messed myself up.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

ride hard take risks
    yea, then to an awesome crash leaving a nice scar.

There will never be a year that I come home from whistler not having messed myself up.
    Thats calld the grin factor.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Do you guys have any other suggestions for the Teocali Elite? Is there anything else that isnt too exotic that one could find in their LBS (socal).

I checked out the Canaan Elite recently and it is a pretty nice bike for about $1600. But more travel up in the front wouldn't hurt. I'm sure 100mm is fine for my style, but 130mm or so would be nice to have for the occasional drop or two.

I'm personally looking for an XC/AM. A light weight bike that can handle some AM stuff that is within a $1500 budget. I may be asking for too much, I should either go for weight or DH performance, but if I could get both on my budget that would be nice

... maybe I'll make this question as a separate thread?!?!?

mtbr member
    If you think you need more suspension you most likely right. If I were looking in the category you are I would buy the Teocali elite.

God I hate to say it but its all tuning. Unless your talking about Braking or suspension
    Components from Lx to XTR from Sram 5 to X0 they all work. Sure some weigh a bit more but whats is the appication. I have had Sram 7 and it shifted almost as quick as Xtr.
    The big difference I noticed was Using a XTR Cassette with Sram 7.0 big difference. I noticed a bit of difference when changing to Xtr front chanring and front derailer. But most on the cassette. Braking and Supsension is where you want to spend the money In my opinion.

Shocks the very best are Fox , Rockshox and Manitou, Frame shock, Fox Rockshox
    Manitou, Cane Creek,
    So Many just e-mail what you are thinking about the folks here will steer you in the right
    direction.
    Last edited by doug4sail; 08-27-2007 at 12:49 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0