Bike to the Bone...
    I think that your budget is right on for a good bike.

FS bikes are really good now, and unless you ride in hardpack a lot, maybe climb better than a HT. I think that FS vs HT issues will be going on and on and on and on. But the designs are getting better, suspension has gotten better, well, prices have not gotten better, but well....

I don't know much about SF bay area, but I would check on the Giant Trance, Cannondale Prophet, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR (I have one and love it), Iron Horse MK III, Trek Fuel, I'm sure I'm missing some for around that price. Just check some LBS and see if you can test drive them and see how you like them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

FS for Bay Area riding.

Hi all... This is a repost of an earlier message. I think I made the title to strange last time.

Ok, I'm getting back into biking after a 6-year hiatus...

I need some advise on what to get. My current ride is a '95 Stumpjumper M2. It was nice for XC and occasional race, but now it's crusty. It seems that everyone is suggesting FS bikes now. I guess they have improved a great deal since 2000? (I rode one at that point and was not all that impressed.) One issue is that I am approximately 5'9 and 155. If I were riding a lot I would lose a bit of that. Does suspension work for the lighter guys?

I'm willing to spend around $1700 or so... Does that seem fair?

One major issue that I bet you all can help me with as well. I am moving from the New York area to Palo Alto, CA in the next month. What is the terrain like? I would like to get a bike that fits well with where I'm riding. I frankly don't know the area al all. (Lot's of climbs?!?)

Many Thanks

ballbuster

Hilly...

The terrain around here is pretty hilly. Lots of steeps. Lots of rocks on the better trails.

I would suggest a 4-5" travel bike. They pedal pretty well these days. I suggest the Stumpy FSRs or Enduro as well. Pedals well, plush suspension, no pedal kick-back (good for techy rocky stuff around here) feels great.

Also check out Fisher Sugar and Trek Fuel 100.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BikingSF
    Hi all... This is a repost of an earlier message. I think I made the title to strange last time.

Ok, I'm getting back into biking after a 6-year hiatus...

I need some advise on what to get. My current ride is a '95 Stumpjumper M2. It was nice for XC and occasional race, but now it's crusty. It seems that everyone is suggesting FS bikes now. I guess they have improved a great deal since 2000? (I rode one at that point and was not all that impressed.) One issue is that I am approximately 5'9 and 155. If I were riding a lot I would lose a bit of that. Does suspension work for the lighter guys?

I'm willing to spend around $1700 or so... Does that seem fair?

One major issue that I bet you all can help me with as well. I am moving from the New York area to Palo Alto, CA in the next month. What is the terrain like? I would like to get a bike that fits well with where I'm riding. I frankly don't know the area al all. (Lot's of climbs?!?)

Many Thanks

tons of bike shops in Palo Alto, CA. I like bike connection on el camino real.

they allow you to test ride the bikes around the neighborhood, and they have a LARGE selection.

In fact, drive up and down el camino real and you will find tons of bike shops. find the one you like.

aka baycat
    A Santa Cruz Superlight is in your price range, that is what I ride in the Bay Area. It does very well on the uphills and screams downhill. Although, on some rocky terrain I do wish I had an extra 1" of travel, but for what kind of riding I have experience out here the Superlight has handled it well. A Blur might be out of your price range, but a lot of people seem to be riding them out here...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

try..

a yeti 575. I live in Palo Alto (when i'm not in school) and that is what I'm planning to purchase soon. As the others have said, Stumpy 130 would work well too. I was thinking of the new Enduros.. but that may be overkill esp with the hills here.

Personally I like Mike's Bikes on El Camino (in palo alto) a lot. They carry a ton of specialized & rocky mountain bikes. Also, TrailHead cyclery in San Jose has the yetis and some spec'd, and know their 411. Supergo also opened up along the same road a few miles south of Mike's and BikeConnection for random goods.

see u in the hills here!

too tired to be clever
    Jan 2005

I think

that you will have many choices of bike, none of which will disappoint you. When I buy my next bike, it will be in the similar range and use as you suggested. Me, well, I will buy from my local shop where thay have been good to me, so it will either be a Trek or a Gary Fisher, since that is what they sell. Figure out where you are going to live, visit the places convenient to your home or your commute, find one where the service dept. seems good, try and buy there.

Just to wet your whistle; http://www.openspace.org/ (lots of rides close to P.A.) and http://www.parkhere.org/channel/0,47...D16344,00.html (likewise).

After living here for 25 years, I feel like an idiot for only having discovered this cool activity this year!. There are a lot of opportunities and places to ride, and the weather lends itself to riding as a year-round activity.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    A Santa Cruz Superlight is in your price range, that is what I ride in the Bay Area. It does very well on the uphills and screams downhill. Although, on some rocky terrain I do wish I had an extra 1" of travel, but for what kind of riding I have experience out here the Superlight has handled it well. A Blur might be out of your price range, but a lot of people seem to be riding them out here...

what kit do you have for your superlight? Theres a $1499 sale right now in several shop for the D kit.

Im actually looking to build up a chameleon. and i may upgrade to a superlight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin
    a yeti 575. I live in Palo Alto (when i'm not in school) and that is what I'm planning to purchase soon. As the others have said, Stumpy 130 would work well too. I was thinking of the new Enduros.. but that may be overkill esp with the hills here.

Personally I like Mike's Bikes on El Camino (in palo alto) a lot. They carry a ton of specialized & rocky mountain bikes. Also, TrailHead cyclery in San Jose has the yetis and some spec'd, and know their 411. Supergo also opened up along the same road a few miles south of Mike's and BikeConnection for random goods.

see u in the hills here!

i drove up and down el camino one day trying to find supergo. I couldn't find it.

is it near performance bike and go ride?

aka baycat
    Quote Originally Posted by subprime
    what kit do you have for your superlight? Theres a $1499 sale right now in several shop for the D kit.

Im actually looking to build up a chameleon. and i may upgrade to a superlight.
    I have the D-kit, and I swapped out the front shock, ran about 1600 when i bought it three months ago. I heard the chameleon's are awesome, very adaptable that is if you can get your hands on one.

I love my superlight though

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by subprime
    i drove up and down el camino one day trying to find supergo. I couldn't find it.

is it near performance bike and go ride?
    Supergo is a bit south on elcamino of San Antonio on the border of Mt View and Los Altos.. About 2 blocks south of Off Ramp bikes..
    Performance bike is in Redwood city.. so you are way up north by a few cities. Check it out on http://www.supergo.com/stores/
    2124 West El Camino Real in Mountain View

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Supergo is a bit south on elcamino of San Antonio on the border of Mt View and Los Altos.. About 2 blocks south of Off Ramp bikes..
    Performance bike is in Redwood city.. so you are way up north by a few cities. Check it out on http://www.supergo.com/stores/
    2124 West El Camino Real in Mountain View
    DUH!!!

El camino is so long the cities just kinda get jumbled up in my head.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Thank!

see u in the hills here!
    Hey, thanks for the advice everyone. It sounds like there are a number of well regarding shops around Palo Alto. It will be one of my first stops when I get into town. The Superlight sounds very nice... It's good to hear that you can do some tests rides.

This is so much more fun than trying to figure out where I'm going to live in Palo Alto!

Great tips on terrain and trails as well... Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Trails

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDave
    that you will have many choices of bike, none of which will disappoint you. When I buy my next bike, it will be in the similar range and use as you suggested. Me, well, I will buy from my local shop where thay have been good to me, so it will either be a Trek or a Gary Fisher, since that is what they sell. Figure out where you are going to live, visit the places convenient to your home or your commute, find one where the service dept. seems good, try and buy there.

Just to wet your whistle; http://www.openspace.org/ (lots of rides close to P.A.) and http://www.parkhere.org/channel/0,47...D16344,00.html (likewise).

After living here for 25 years, I feel like an idiot for only having discovered this cool activity this year!. There are a lot of opportunities and places to ride, and the weather lends itself to riding as a year-round activity.

Cool, thanks for the riding suggestions... From the little that I know about the area, they look like they will be easy to get to. I'm going to check out all the shops when I get there...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

see u in the hills here!

I like supporting the little guys, so I would suggest checking out Woodside Bike Shop on Woodside Rd. in Redwood City. I bought a Yeti 575 from Z (the owner) who special ordered it for me, built it up, and dialed it in completely in three days. He just started carrying Santa Cruz also.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnkilla
    I like supporting the little guys, so I would suggest checking out Woodside Bike Shop on Woodside Rd. in Redwood City. I bought a Yeti 575 from Z (the owner) who special ordered it for me, built it up, and dialed it in completely in three days. He just started carrying Santa Cruz also.
    Hey,
    hm, i'm curious what kinda deal u got from Woodside.. of course I would want to buy locally.. I'll PM you right now.
    thanks