Fresh out of the Womb......NOOB- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Fresh out of the Womb......NOOB

Well I'm a long time lurker first time poster.(I guess I didnt want to face the humility of being a NOOB). You guys have a great site, and I'm proud to finally be apart of it.

Anyways I'll cut the crap as I'm sure these threads come up all the time. I need a Mountain bike. Nothing to serious I'm just gonna be hitting up trails and occasionaly adventuring off the trail. My backyards a mountain and 4 hours south I'm in moab. Just to give you a taste of what I'm gonna be riding. Well my budget is right around 1200-1300. I have no brand loyalty. But I do want a full suspension. So if you could fire away give me some bikes I should look at, or stay away from.

Also I got so many random little questions about biking. Brakes, Suspension. The Pro's and Con's of random stuff that I dont want to post an entire thread about.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The most important thing you can do is purchase a bike that is properly sized. Best way to do that is to parking lot test as many bikes as you can!!!!! One reason is your body type (i.e. arm length/ torso length/ leg length) all play their role in how a bike fits. Second reason to test bikes is the fact (5) different 18" bikes could all "feel" different. Longer top tube, shorter stem, handlebars etc.- they all have an effect.

Iron Horse, Giant and Specialized are good places to start.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can't go wrong with Specialized. Oh and don't wander off the trail unless you own the land or have permission. It is serioulsy frowned upon in many, many places.

Freshly Fujified

So much to choose from

Welcome to the Forums, Thursday. Take some time and continue to research before you buy. In that $1300 range you'll find everything from entry level full suspension bikes at your LBS, to some better quality rides from discounters and online direct-to-consumer companies. All and all if you do your homework and be patient, you should be able to find a nice full suspension bike that is worthy of a trip to Moab.

I'll be happy to give more detailed answers to some of your questions offline as you've requested, but I don't use MSN messenger. Feel free to email me at [email removed]. I return all correspondence promptly.

Bob
    Last edited by CHUM; 01-11-2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: per OP request - remove email address
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

We the people ...

Hey, I cant thank you guys enough for the warm welcome you've given me it's really
    appreciated.

I'm gonna head out to a couple LBS today. I'll try to get a bike sized to me. I checked out my local LBS homepages, and the only brands I recognized were IRON HORSE, KONA, and Cannondale. Anyone got any model recomendations on these brands???

[Start Rant]

Last I got to give you guys props for getting into this hobby. I've gotten started in alot of hobbies, and I have to say this is by far the hardest for me to pick up. I guess that has to do alot with my personality because if I'm gonna buy something for $1300 it's gonna be the 100% perfect match. Most hobbies seem pretty straight forward with just a few choices, and certain brands that are above the rest because of a great unmatched product, and great costumer care. Well no sir not with biking on the surface and to the average person it seems real simple, Mountain or Road? But boy have I had a reality shock. I've got countless Styles, Brands, Accessories, Sizing, Components, Warranty, Buying at LBS, Buying online,Etc Etc...

[End Rant]

So in conclusion I'm gonna go out and try to get on as many bikes as possible at as many different LBS I can. Thanks for listening to me let out some steam.

Matt

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Well I finally got out to an LBS (Bikers Edge). Although it was only for a couple minutes, and I only got to look. Saw some cannondales (weird one with one big front shock), Iron Horse, and the one that really grabbed my attention mainly for the price. It was a KONA coiler, Im pretty sure it was a later model as it was on sale for 1280.....Anyone got some comments on the KONA coiler? and is the price good?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The Coiler is one fine machine. Six inch travel. Super strong. Ready for the bumpy stuff. Nice suspension design. The "weaknesses" of the base Coiler: 1) Heavy 2) Rear end is not as pedal efficient as some other designs (no biggie) 3) The rear shock is not adjustable 4) front fork is OK. Etc. Etc. Etc.To be honest, all of the bikes in your price range may suffer from the same issues.

As for the price, it is pretty good. My suggestion, click on the following link from wheelworld- and ask your bike shop (nicely) if they would be "willing" to match $1,099 price tag!!! Before doing so, tell them you have a few other bikes you are considering (which you should be) and that you will purchase a bike that best suits your needs and your wallet.

http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cf...cedesc&id=3808

Overall, nice bike! Parking lot test it again. Test some others. Ask us a few more questions. Make your decision!! START RIDING YOUR NEW BIKE!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0