Freeride Hardtail- Mtbr.com
    For Those About To Ride

Freeride Hardtail

I am looking to buy a nice freeride hardtail. It needs to be tough (nothing extreme). I will be doing mostly freeride with it and small drops no more then 5-7 feet. It should also be able to do singletrack type trails. I am not expecting it to ride like an xc bike but im better then my buddies and i am allways waiting for them on trails so that will even it out. I also need fairly high ground clearance. Price should be under 1800.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I ride a kona stuff for freeriding/urban/xc and it works awesome for me. The stock suff is not the best but once you build it up to your liking you will love it. it hase the perfect geometry for jumps, and on the trails you just have to point it and it will go there. its just under $1000 and with that extra $800, i bet you can make a pretty awesome ride.
    !

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Banshee is a good bet.

Quote Originally Posted by shook_dh
    I am looking to buy a nice freeride hardtail. It needs to be tough (nothing extreme). I will be doing mostly freeride with it and small drops no more then 5-7 feet. It should also be able to do singletrack type trails. I am not expecting it to ride like an xc bike but im better then my buddies and i am allways waiting for them on trails so that will even it out. I also need fairly high ground clearance. Price should be under 1800.
    Get a built up Banshee Scirocco. It is not as hardcore as the Banshee Morphine but is still very strong and can be hucked 5-7ft easy. Check out some of the Scirocco rides that have been on these threads. I have seen the Scirocco built up for every type of riding. The most popular configuration is the one that you are talking about. Strong enough to drop but can still be ridden on single track.

Also, if you want a good deal, phone or e-mail Banshee and ask if they have any demo bikes left. I know just recently they had a couple of Scirocco demos left. One had a dual crown Slider and the other was sporting a Pike. Both bikes were under $2000.00 cdn and come with the Banshee warranty. Banshee will mail the bike to you.

Cheers.

Designated Bleeder

Freeride Hardtail Options

Being a New Englander, I have to put a plug in here for my countrymen, Sinister Bikes. They sell a nice ride called the Ridge for about $750 retail for the frame. It also has the option for having horizontal dropouts if you want to be a hardcore singlespeed type. I have been lusting after one of these frame for a couple years now and have been trying to score one on MTBR or ebay. They are quality bikes (and welded by local legend Frank the Welder).

Personally, I ride a Surly Instigator and that thing is as tough as nails. Steel will definitely hold up to the drops but it is pretty heavy (6 lb hardtail frame). A darn fun bike though. Mine is singlespeeded and a I truely enjoy the punishment every time I ride. It also has a nice, low slung top tube (the junk saver) to well, save your junk on some of those 5 footers gone wrong...

SpK

BTW, the Banshee Scirocco is a nice looking rig also. I have never ridden one but word around the campfire is that they will take some serious punishment.

MTB SOCAL

Banshee

I recently built up a Banshee Scirocco and I love it. I intend mainly to use it for riding urban / occasional jumping, but I recently took it on a technical trail ride and it handled amazingly well. You can pic up a new frame around $500-600 and a used one significantly less. Here's a pic of mine, there are more pics on recent threads on Banshee Scirocco. Whatever you get, good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

Designated Bleeder

Banshee Bling

Nice rig you got there, yangpei. I especially like the fly yellow mavic rims. The nixon is a nice touch also. I have been thinking about plunking some money down on a Nixon for my FS bike, how is it?

In terms of hardtails other brands you might want to check out are Evil Bikes and Norco (though they might be a little beefy for trail riding). Go to the classifieds on Pinkbike.com. There are always freeride hardtails up for sale. It must be a Canadian thing.

MTB SOCAL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK
    Nice rig you got there, yangpei. I especially like the fly yellow mavic rims. The nixon is a nice touch also. I have been thinking about plunking some money down on a Nixon for my FS bike, how is it?

In terms of hardtails other brands you might want to check out are Evil Bikes and Norco (though they might be a little beefy for trail riding). Go to the classifieds on Pinkbike.com. There are always freeride hardtails up for sale. It must be a Canadian thing.
    I like the Nixon a lot. I have a Nixon Elite on the Banshee. I liked it so much I have ordered a Nixon Platinum for my Quasimoto to replace my Firefly Plus. The fork is very plush, light, and plenty stiff for what I do. The infinite travel adjust is key. My Firefly Plus only lets me run either 110mm or 150 mm of travel. What type of FS bike are you thinking of putting it on?
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

Designated Bleeder

Banshees and Nixons

Quote Originally Posted by yangpei
    I like the Nixon a lot. I have a Nixon Elite on the Banshee. I liked it so much I have ordered a Nixon Platinum for my Quasimoto to replace my Firefly Plus. The fork is very plush, light, and plenty stiff for what I do. The infinite travel adjust is key. My Firefly Plus only lets me run either 110mm or 150 mm of travel. What type of FS bike are you thinking of putting it on?

My FS rig is a Giant AC with a 2003 Z1 Freeride on the front. That fork is plush and beefy but I am finding that the more I ride with my XC buddies, the more I would like a fork that I could reduce the travel to say 100mm or somewhere in between. As labeled, the Z1 is a tremendous freeride fork but for trail riding its a bit of a hog. The whole infinite travel adjust thing seems like a cool option on the Nixon

For Those About To Ride
    Im leaning toward the Banshee Scirocco and i will start looking around for a good deal. Thanks guys

MTB SOCAL

Richards Bicycles

Quote Originally Posted by shook_dh
    Im leaning toward the Banshee Scirocco and i will start looking around for a good deal. Thanks guys
    I bought my frame off eBay from Richards Bikes. They have frames and full bikes. The frame runs for $499 and the bike for $1299 (although it's not really built up to be a freeride bike, more of a trail bike build). The link for the frame is http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW. The link for the entire bike is http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW. I was happy with the service I received from Richards when I bought my frame. You may also check out the used bikes on ebay and pinkbike.
    Kokopelli Racing