Freeride/All Mountain bike for Portland Area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Freeride/All Mountain bike for Portland Area

Hey all,
    I am new to the freeride and all mountain bikes. I am from Madison, WI and will be moving to Portland soon. I am not a XC racer, and havent been, and dont really know if I plan to be. I would like to do some freeride/dh stuff while in Portland, and am looking for a bike that can take the punishment. I am an employee at a bike shop, so I get good deals on bikes, but only bikes we sell. I am looking at the Giant Reign X1 mainly, or Jamis Dakar XAM 2.0 but have seen no threads on either of these bikes. I have access to Trek, Giant, Fisher, Jamis, and Diamondback, as well as Banshee. I would like something light enough to XC, although that isnt the most important thing. I mainly want it to take ANYTHING I can throw at it in Portland.

Thank you,
    Nate

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Now I am definatley new at this, but I have read alot in my short time as a mountain biker. I believe the Santa Cruz Nomad is a good in between bike. I dont think you will find a bike that will take ANYTHING you can throw at it and also be light enough ride XC. You have to compromise.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just picked up a Preston FR from the dropnzone in Washington,right now you can get an 06 frame only,for 620.00.I swicthed all my componets from my present bike to this frame and am very pleased.If your up to buiding up your own bike this is an awsome deal.This frame gets great marks in the reveiw section also!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I know I have to compromise, I just dont know which way to lean yet, im trying to decide based on whats around portland.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by kikyomerc
    Hey all,
    I am new to the freeride and all mountain bikes. I am from Madison, WI and will be moving to Portland soon. I am not a XC racer, and havent been, and dont really know if I plan to be. I would like to do some freeride/dh stuff while in Portland, and am looking for a bike that can take the punishment. I am an employee at a bike shop, so I get good deals on bikes, but only bikes we sell. I am looking at the Giant Reign X1 mainly, or Jamis Dakar XAM 2.0 but have seen no threads on either of these bikes. I have access to Trek, Giant, Fisher, Jamis, and Diamondback, as well as Banshee. I would like something light enough to XC, although that isnt the most important thing. I mainly want it to take ANYTHING I can throw at it in Portland.

Thank you,
    Nate
    Take a look at the Banshee Pyre. It's Banshee lightest full suspension bike, and looks pretty good. I have a Banshee Viento (which is a Hardtail) and it rides wonderfully, and it's built pretty tough for the type of riding.

The Giant Reign is also a very good option, from what I think (haven't ridden it).

Members who have read this thread: 0