Freeride or All-Mountain bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

... and if we just ... Freeride or All-Mountain bike

Hey guys (and gals), I'm new here but not so much to mountain biking. I'm looking to upgrade from my little old K2 attack 1.0... I'm trying to decide between something more all-mountain (specialized pitch/enduro, gt force) or something more freeride (scott voltage fr20). Around here is mostly xc trails, so a decent bit of hills, but there is some freeride embedded therein. however, I do plan on going to snowshoe, diablo, and other places like that alot over the summer, and don't wanna feel limited by my bike. My limit price wise is 2000$, though i might be able to fudge it to 2200 if necessary. Thanks for any help everybody!

mtbr member
    I say get a AM bike. My reasoning behind this is a FR bike will not be fun to climb with or ride on a normal XC trail.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    I say get a AM bike. My reasoning behind this is a FR bike will not be fun to climb with or ride on a normal XC trail.
    Says who?

Big Test Icycles
    One bike that comes to mind that comes as close as any as a do it all rig is a Santa Cruz Nomad. Take a look on PinkBike or these forums for a used at your price range.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    Says who?
    If a FR bike was good for XC they would call it a XC bike.

A good middle ground I think would be a AM bike, which can go up and down, and wont be to heavy for XC. Last time I checked my FR riders go down hill.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Buy a good XC or Trail bike , when you go to the resorts rent the appropriate ride .

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Also, I just learned that I have been given permision to build some north shore/freeride style stuff on our property... And i was thinking about getting a good trail bike, but that brings another question... should i use clipless? I am wondering because I have gotten hurt pretty badly because i ride so hard(as I say, some call it stupidly), that I don't have time to clip out, and fall down a hill... Any suggestions in that realm?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The pitch will be great for trail and park duty. It's owners seem content with its ascending abilities and thrilled with it descending

mtbr member
    May 2010
    What about the Santa Cruz Heckler? Cause I can get one for 2000 brand new

Big Test Icycles
    I only mentioned the Nomad because I know a guy with one and he does everything you described. The Heckler is a solid platform with plenty of positive reviews. Spend some time in the SC forum and read up on it. New is always nice but be careful you dont buy one thing and expect it to be an expert at everything. What are other people riding in your area. That might give you examples of what is working.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime
    I only mentioned the Nomad because I know a guy with one and he does everything you described. The Heckler is a solid platform with plenty of positive reviews. Spend some time in the SC forum and read up on it. New is always nice but be careful you dont buy one thing and expect it to be an expert at everything. What are other people riding in your area. That might give you examples of what is working.
    I have seen a little of everything honestly. I've seen some hardcore freeriders going to the dirtjumps on voltages and things like that, weight weenies, niners, a few hecklers, nomads, and blurs. I've even seen one brave soul on a full DH rig. Honestly I think that for 95% of everything I do, i'd do fine with something like an aggresive trail bike, or all-mountain. And I am definitely not looking for a jack of ALL trades, just a decent number of them
    Last edited by iStartedTheFire; 05-25-2010 at 12:38 PM.

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    check for left over 09 Norco LT's. Im building one right now and the bike can be transitioned into 4 different rides with a fork and wheel change. Right now Im building mine as a 5.4r / 5.5f trail/am ride. later I will be getting a marz 55 and a new 20mm front wheel and running am/light FR at 6.2r / 6.3f. If not able to find one of these check into the regular Fluid. Its 5.5 and a fully capable am rig.
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders

mtbr member
    May 2010
    its funny that you mention norco, as i was looking at them for freeride bikes, but didnt think to check for a more am ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    For 2000 to 2200, you will be able to find a Giant Reign XO-X1 from 2008 and even 2009 in good shape and they are good all around bikes.

Someone mentioned Norco and another Canadian Company to consider in your price range is Devinci. Look for used 2009 and 2010 Devinci Hectiks. The Hectik is a solid am ride that is good for everything as well.

There are very good deals right now on the Reign X series on Pinkbike. There is also good deals on a Hectik or two on PB as well.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    If a FR bike was good for XC they would call it a XC bike.

A good middle ground I think would be a AM bike, which can go up and down, and wont be to heavy for XC. Last time I checked my FR riders go down hill.
    Wow, you're clueless.

~Disc~Golf~
    Wow, you're clueless.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

AZ
    banned
    Wow, you're clueless.

Shouldnt you be stalking the boards for Motobecane threads ?

Rabid Lana fan
    To the OP: Add a Transition Covert to the list of bikes to consider.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker
    To the OP: Add a Transition Covert to the list of bikes to consider.
    Yeah, I was looking at those just a bit ago actually... they're just too expensive, beautiful bike, but cant afford 1600 (!) for frame alone. Also, the Giant looks good too... Also any word on a GT Force 2.0?

mtbr member
    +1 for the Reign X. Yes i guess i am a bit biased though! One of the guys at my LBS just picked up a 2010 Reign X0 and it's an absolute monster (in a good way). He took it down one of the gnarliest downhill tracks around our area and it didn't even blink. He had a lot of nice things to say about it's climbing ability too. Also, for what it's worth, i think Giant classify it as a 'light freeride' bike.
    2011 Kona Dr. Dew
    2010 Giant Trance X2
    2008 Giant Rincon

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by iStartedTheFire
    What about the Santa Cruz Heckler? Cause I can get one for 2000 brand new
    The SC Heckler has a steeper head angle, shorter wheel base and tighter cockpit feel in comparison to the SC Nomad. Don't get caught up in the differences in front/rear travel or single pivot vs VPP when making a comparison between these two rides. The Heckler is a lot more nimbler than the Nomad but with its shorter wheel base its also a lot twitchier (you can compensate for this if you are a rider who knows how to ride when off the seat). So in the end it comes down to the terrain you ride and the ride experience you seek. I ride a Mk2 Nomad and love it but in tight twisty terrain the Heckler is much easier to maneuver (because its more compact).

mtbr member
    May 2010
    not gonna lie, i do like the reign... although the only one i could afford is the X4... would the parts on that survive in light freeride?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jdusto
    The SC Heckler has a steeper head angle, shorter wheel base and tighter cockpit feel in comparison to the SC Nomad. Don't get caught up in the differences in front/rear travel or single pivot vs VPP when making a comparison between these two rides. The Heckler is a lot more nimbler than the Nomad but with its shorter wheel base its also a lot twitchier (you can compensate for this if you are a rider who knows how to ride when off the seat). So in the end it comes down to the terrain you ride and the ride experience you seek. I ride a Mk2 Nomad and love it but in tight twisty terrain the Heckler is much easier to maneuver (because its more compact).
    The frustrating thing is that I ride a lot of both tight and twisty as well as some really flowy stuff... this decision is getting harder and harder...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    not to double post, but i was thinking of the trance for some stupid reason
    the reign x2 looks really nice, but thats pushing like price limits... id have to stretch things a bit...

T.W.O.
    not to double post, but i was thinking of the trance for some stupid reason
    the reign x2 looks really nice, but thats pushing like price limits... id have to stretch things a bit...
    I like Reign X, but earlier you've mentioned Heckler, why not the new APP Butcher. Complete bike should be at or under 2k.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Transition Bike Company

Have you taken a look at the TBC products? They are really good bikes designed to be both FR and trail capable at a pretty good price point. Three products I would look at:

1) TransAM Hardtail (yes its a hardtail but the riders I know who are seriously good ride this bike when they want to get the most out a trail.)
    2) Bottlerocket (its heavy but its built to attack double diamond freeride lines but still easy enough to peddle it up the slope).
    3) Covert V2 (This is TBC true trail bike but I have personally see the Transition pro riders throw down on this frame at Duthie Hill and its a very pretty bike when its sailing thru the air).

Afric Pepperbird
    Also, I just learned that I have been given permision to build some north shore/freeride style stuff on our property... And i was thinking about getting a good trail bike, but that brings another question... should i use clipless? I am wondering because I have gotten hurt pretty badly because i ride so hard(as I say, some call it stupidly), that I don't have time to clip out, and fall down a hill... Any suggestions in that realm?
    Clipless! There is zero elapsed time to unclip. Twist your ankle right now, very quickly and suddenly. How long did that take? It's a natural process (with some experience, of course).

I suggest Time pedals.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    yeah, i settled that debate earlier lol :P
    i already had those stupid half clipless things from shimano, just got some m-520's, or whatever theyre called. nice pedals, gonna break em in tomorrow!

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    what size bike do you need?
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I need probably a 17 or a 19... Not 100% sure which though

Members who have read this thread: 0