mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Frame Recommendations?

I'll get right to the point - I need some suggestions and insight for picking a frame to build.

I'm newer to this forum, so I apologize if this is a repetitive thread topic or if I am asking in the wrong forum.

I've just crossed the threshold for my third year of mountain biking, and I've come a long way, but still have a ways to go as far as knowledge and ability go. I'm currently riding a 27.5" hardtail and I have decided that I want to replace it with a full suspension build-up, and I know picking the frame is the most crucial part of this. Here's what I'm looking for:

• 27.5"
    • Full Suspension frame
    • Trail or all-mountain
    • Alloy
    • Rear travel between 130-150mm (I know that the frame will accommodate an exact travel length and only that length)
    • Preferably with internally routed cable accommodations.

With these requirements I am trying to compare the lightest weight and least expensive frames. I am not currently concerned with brand, geometry otherwise, color, etc. I am also willing to look at older frames, as I intend to buy a used or at least late-model frame to save costs. For example, I looked at the Specialized Stumpjumper comp 27.5", if that gives any bearing on what I'm looking at.

With that, please give me your frame recommendations, or more information to read or to help guide my question. If you need additional information to give me a recommendation, ask away.

mbtr member
    I doubt you'll get much helpful advice based on your post, and i'd encourage you to evaluate your priorities.

You never describe what you want out of this bike. Do you like charging uphill with your HR pegged? Clean every feature on hiking trails? Hit a jump line or flow trails? Most bikes do lots of things well, but some designs are better suited to certain activities. Similarly, what are your local trails like? My Transition has a crazy-low BB and it's fantastic in my local woods, but it's a pedalstrike handful in the southwest desert.

As for your focus- cheap lightweight used alloy frame... yikes. Light frames break, alloy have a lifespan, and used frames don't come with warranties. It totally sucks to do a frame up build, break a frame, and have a heap of parts that aren't compatible with the next craigslist frame.

Geo is HUGELY important, and it's the reason that the frame is the soul of the bike. With FS there's 2 parts to this; frame geo does a lot to determine what part of the trail is easy or hard, and suspension geo affects how the bike reacts to your inputs or gets overwhelmed. Frames from 3 years ago, on average, had fairly significantly different geo than new models.

Otherwise, i advise you to avoid anything with a pressfit BB, a proprietary shock, or more than 3 years old. That's gonna cut down the options fairly dramatically, and the ones that are left are mostly enthusiast frames where the intended user knows how they want a bike to handle.

Finally, how old are you? What's your total goal budget, how flexible is it? Where do you live? What is your current bike, what do you think about it? What are your trails like? Where do you want your mtb experience to take you?

Have fun and take your time.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Really the best advice we can give you is to go and demo as many bikes from as many different bike brands.

but this is the internet so my advice is below.

Devinci troy or Guerilla gravity Shred dog.

MY lady has a 2015 troy (alloy) and it rides great. has plenty of travel at 140mm (rear), 150mm (front) to be a fantastic every day and everywhere trail bike.

I have only demoed a shred dog once (but I own a Megatrail, the shred dog's big brother) and I really enjoyed my self it is playful and . It has 135/145mm rear travel and it is also a great everyday bike that can take anything most people can throw at it.
    If my riding was more trail and not enduro i would have the shred dog.

Edit: I would not worry so much about it being light weight. I have found the lighter the weight the less durable and more flex the frames have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Alrighty, I'll go about trying to answer your questions so you can better help me - charging uphill is tough for me compared to my friends who ride, however I don't really mind it, I ran in high school. I hit 80% of obstacles/elements on the trails I've ridden, I live for downhill flow segments, big jumps scare me. My local trails in NC are woody, rocky, rooty, muddy, and seem to be 99% uphill. I'm 20, my ideal budget it $2k, it is flexible, I live in Boone, NC, currently riding a 2015 KHS Sixfifty 600 27.5" Hardtail, and just as a hobby, as in no plans to compete or become my profession.

Just so we're clear, when I mean "cheap", I mean what I am looking for is value - frames that are regarded as well-built in the industry for the cost. I've demoed full suspensions at an event in Charlotte, I rode an Ibis Ripley and a Mojo HD4, Norco Optic, Mondraker Dune, and a Pivot Mach. I enjoyed riding them, particularly the Ibis's, but I just don't see spending $5k-9k on a bicycle in my lifetime, I'm not that passionate about it. This is just a hobby and a fun form of exercise for me. My goal here is to build a bike that I will enjoy riding as much as any of the ones I tested for less because 1) I like building things, gives me a sense of pride and 2) I like value, building my own bike seems the best way to go about it. Based on this, do you have any specific frame recommendations?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks, I'll check them out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Update on this post: I have since done my first real downhill mtb trip, and after riding and a few discussions have came to a few conclusions:
    I'm no longer interested in doing a complete frame build, I will definitely be buying a bicycle either new or used.

I want 150mm travel, will take 160mm fork, but pretty set on 150mm.

I am decidedly less concerned with weight, although it is still something I will be keeping in mind (most bikes I'm looking at are similar in weight).

Other than that, I am still looking at an alloy, 27.5", trail/all-mountain, medium, internally routed bike.

My list of bikes to consider is currently:

• Commencal Meta V3
    • Canyon Spectral
    • YT Jeffsy Comp
    • Trek Remedy 7
    • Specialized Stumpjumper Comp
    • Rocky Mountain Altitude
    • Kona Process 153
    • Santa Cruz Bronson
    • Scott Genius 740

Suggestions/opinions welcome, I know some of these are direct sale brands, I'm willing to look at other manufactures if suggested.

There's one more bike I've just looked at - Polygon Siskiu T7 - does anyone have any info/opinions on this bike??? It's price is incredibly competitive for even a direct sales brand - I want more info on this guy, seems a little bit suspect.
    Last edited by gmurrell; 06-11-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by gmurrell View Post
    • Commencal Meta V3
    • Canyon Spectral
    • YT Jeffry Comp
    • Trek Remedy 7
    • Specialized Stumpjumper Comp
    • Rocky Mountain Altitude
    • Kona Process 153
    • Santa Cruz Bronson
    • Scott Genius 740
    That's a nice list. You didn't ask for opinions but I'll offer mine regardless. Internal cable routing is fashion over function. Personally I feel the same about internal routing as I feel about press-fit BBs -- a step in the wrong direction.

There's one more bike I've just looked at - Polygon Siskiu T7 - does anyone have any info/opinions on this bike??? It's price is incredibly competitive for even a direct sales brand - I want more info on this guy, seems a little bit suspect.
    Never heard of 'em. Got a link?
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    That's a nice list. You didn't ask for opinions but I'll offer mine regardless. Internal cable routing is fashion over function. Personally I feel the same about internal routing as I feel about press-fit BBs -- a step in the wrong direction.

Never heard of 'em. Got a link?
    =sParty
    No, I do want and ask for opinions, I do look at them and they're helpful. Thank you for giving your thoughts on cable routing, seriously. That's news to me, I know the Kona Process 153 I'm looking at has both the option to internally or externally route cables, so with this new info it may be more seriously looked at.

Here's a link to the Polygon Siskiu T7: SISKIU T7 – Polygon Bikes

Out spokin'
    No, I do want and ask for opinions, I do look at them and they're helpful. Thank you for giving your thoughts on cable routing, seriously. That's news to me, I know the Kona Process 153 I'm looking at has both the option to internally or externally route cables, so with this new info it may be more seriously looked at.

Here's a link to the Polygon Siskiu T7: SISKIU T7 – Polygon Bikes
    I can't offer you much feedback on the Polygon because I haven't been looking at bikes in that range much but at first blush it seems average for the price. I notice only smalls and mediums (27.5) are available.

What I like about it:
    HTA 66*
    Threaded BB
    Aluminum frame

What I don't like about it:
    Prowheel crank? Never heard of 'em
    Wheel spec not listed
    10spd, not 11spd (not a dealbreaker)
    House brand stem, bar, saddle (SOP for this price point)

Questionable:
    Weight is not listed
    Frame travel is not listed
    RS Recon fork is nothing special (though 150mm travel seems legit)
    Faux bar suspension rather than Horst Link (odd considering HL patent expired)
    I'm not familiar with X-Fusion's 02 Pro RL shock -- may be good, can't say
    Same for Tranz-X dropper
    I don't know Polygon nor anything about their customer service performance

I don't want to rip on this bike, it seems okay but I wonder if you can get say, a DiamondBack FS for around the same money. DB is a well established brand.
    Best of luck.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    DiamondBack Release...preferably the 2017 Release 3. Great spec for the price and travel is 150/130. Negative is the lack of internal routing.

$2,384.99 with corp. discount.

https://www.diamondback.com/release-3

If you're not looking for a complete bike...and happen to need an XL frame...I'm stripping mine to use the parts to build a Norco Torrent hardtail so I won't be needing the frame or shock anymore. I could be convinced to sell it.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    I can't offer you much feedback on the Polygon because I haven't been looking at bikes in that range much but at first blush it seems average for the price. I notice only smalls and mediums (27.5) are available.

What I like about it:
    HTA 66*
    Threaded BB
    Aluminum frame

What I don't like about it:
    Prowheel crank? Never heard of 'em
    Wheel spec not listed
    10spd, not 11spd (not a dealbreaker)
    House brand stem, bar, saddle (SOP for this price point)

Questionable:
    Weight is not listed
    Frame travel is not listed
    RS Recon fork is nothing special (though 150mm travel seems legit)
    Faux bar suspension rather than Horst Link (odd considering HL patent expired)
    I'm not familiar with X-Fusion's 02 Pro RL shock -- may be good, can't say
    Same for Tranz-X dropper
    I don't know Polygon nor anything about their customer service performance

I don't want to rip on this bike, it seems okay but I wonder if you can get say, a DiamondBack FS for around the same money. DB is a well established brand.
    Best of luck.
    =sParty
    Thanks, I did a little more research and they are dealer based, and they have only one in the US, in Oceanside CA. I'm in NC, so it's now off my list, perhaps in the future they'll be more common over here. Also, I looked at Diamondback, I have 3 friends who ride them, but they don't make something that fit what I'm looking for, mostly based on suspension travel. Thanks again for your help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    DiamondBack Release...preferably the 2017 Release 3. Great spec for the price and travel is 150/130. Negative is the lack of internal routing.

$2,384.99 with corp. discount.

https://www.diamondback.com/release-3

If you're not looking for a complete bike...and happen to need an XL frame...I'm stripping mine to use the parts to build a Norco Torrent hardtail so I won't be needing the frame or shock anymore. I could be convinced to sell it.
    I appreciate the input, I did look at Diamondback and they don't make something that fits exactly what I'm looking for now (bumped the travel ammt. up), and I am now set on NOT building a frame-up bike, I'm planning on just buying one so I appreciate your offer on selling your old frame, but I'm going to have to pass on it, I'm barely a medium at 5'7". Thanks anyway

mtbr member
    There's the DB Mission Pro at 160/160.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Update: I ordered the outgoing 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson Alloy R build in black/sriracha today. The search is now over. Thanks for the advice along the way.