frame lost some paint... advice plz- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

frame lost some paint... advice plz

I went riding yesterday and my chain got sucked between the frame and the small front ring while I attempted a downshift. I think the FD limit adjustment was off just enough that it let the chain slip off the small ring. Fortunately no injuries, and my buddy was able to readjust my FD (always bring a bike tool to the trails!)

Long story short, my new bike is missing some paint () behind the front rings. It's down to the metal and you can clearly see the aluminum.

There's another spot behind the large ring that isn't visible from this angle.

Should I leave it like this or cover it with something? I know aluminum doesn't exactly rust, but I wanted to see what others have done in the past.

Appreciate any tips!

T.W.O.
    That's catastrophic, you need new frame immediately.

No, sorry to see that. it helps if you have some kind of protection like those 3m films. Works great for mine. may be a bit of touch up would help.

≈ > ♥
    Suck it up? Any bike that gets ridden will get dinged up. And that's the way it should be.

Or you could always ask your wife/girlfriend/mom for some of her nailpollish...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    spray some Rust-Oleum spray paint into the lid, use a brush and brush it on over just the exposed metal area. Rust-Oleum is great at doing its job, much better than nail polish. This will keep it from rusting, the only real issue. I would only bother with this if I lived in a wet area.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I might try some of the RustOleum clear coat to keep the rest of the paint in the area from chipping off. That's really all I want to prevent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    remove anything that is even slightly loose first or it will just take the rust coating off. Good luck.

mtbr member
    You are going to continue to have chain suck issues over the life of the bike. Yeah "suck" it up...LOL.

Best solution I think is the helicopter tape which was mentioned. If you do a little research you should be able to find some of this stuff without ordering a $350 roll or having it sent from the UK. But heres a link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Helicopter-Bike-...item3a5b3d67fb

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by borregokid
    "suck" it up
    ha. ha. ha.

Nah, I'm not complaining. Really I was just looking for a good way to prevent the rest of the paint from peeling and maybe protect the metal without wrapping it in duct tape.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    By the way, I don't agree that chain suck has to be accepted as a normal occurrence. I know it happens, but I recognize that there are reasons why it happens. Usually it's a sign that something needs attention, whether it be the bike or the rider. It's not designed to just randomly fail once every so often.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Pay a visit to your local auto parts store and check out their selection of touch-up paint. Small tube, cap retains a uber small brush for easy application.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    My new Anthem X2 frame got shredded by chainsuck too. Make a stainless steel plate, using steel roof flashing. Cut with tin snips, pound with mallet to shape, then glue on with Polyurethane glue like Shoe Goo, dry 72 hrs and now you have an OEM-looking plate that can take all the chainsuck you can throw at it...and still LOOK GOOD!!!:

Net weight gain = 9 grams...including glue.

Last edited by Cayenne_Pepa; 11-30-2010 at 12:03 AM.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Members who have read this thread: 0