flat pedals or clips?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

flat pedals or clips?

I am at a crossroads point, I am trying to decide to run with clipless pedals or just flat pedals on my stumpjumper.
    My situation is that I borke my kneecap about 2 years ago and that knee is still quite a bit weaker than the other, enough so that most of the time I cannot ride standing up, when the bad knee reaches the top of the circle it does not have enough strength to push over, so I end up riding alot more sitting than I would like. With the clipless pedals I can actually cheat and help the bad kneewith the good one.
    On the other hand the weak knee is tougher than normal to get unclipped. So I worry that I will end up in a wreak because of the clips, and not bieng able to get out and possibly hurt the bad knee again.

What is the general concensus on clip vs no clips?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cavi
    I am at a crossroads point, I am trying to decide to run with clipless pedals or just flat pedals on my stumpjumper.
    My situation is that I borke my kneecap about 2 years ago and that knee is still quite a bit weaker than the other, enough so that most of the time I cannot ride standing up, when the bad knee reaches the top of the circle it does not have enough strength to push over, so I end up riding alot more sitting than I would like. With the clipless pedals I can actually cheat and help the bad kneewith the good one.
    On the other hand the weak knee is tougher than normal to get unclipped. So I worry that I will end up in a wreak because of the clips, and not bieng able to get out and possibly hurt the bad knee again.

Given your physical status, I would urge you to stay away from clips; agravating that knee trying to un-clip could lead to a total knee replacement, which would put you out of commission for quite a while. If you need some form of security, go with either a Winwood Mini clip, or a Power Grip.

Name:  winwood mini.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  5.1 KB

Name:  powergrip.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  5.5 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    After much discussion with my LBS owner about the area we both ride, he finally told me that he had given up on clipless pedals due to all the rocks and dangers of "oops..." so i did the same, I bought a great real light grippy set of pedals, only negative is they are anodized orange and look horrible against my white bike, but, wow are they sticky, I really like them enough to live with the orange.....Anyway I will scratch and ding them tomorrow on my ride.....

Property Inspections
    add a few other orange parts so it blends in and you got yourself a good looking bike...

eg) quick releases, seat clamp, stem spacers, bar ends....you get the idea.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Speedplay Frogs have zero tension to overcome when unclipping (there are no springs). You do still need to turn your foot to unclip, but your foot is completely free to do so. It is actually a strange sensation at first, often described as feeling like you are pedaling on ice cubes.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member

Back when I was about 35 years old, I bought a pair of Shimano SPD's. After about 5 falls that always happened when I was coming to a stop and trying to put my foot down without twisting out of the pedal first, I gave up on them. My helmet came in real handy on at least one of those falls. Now that I'm 53, there's no way I would ever try them or any other brand of clipless pedals out again. I'll stick with my original Power Grips.

Afric Pepperbird
    Time ATAC pedals are known for their knee-friendly float.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

I'm kinda of in the same situation. I would recommend the clip.

Reason #1 Sitting down most of the time? Doesn't matter really
    Reason #2 If you do sit most of the time, the ability for one pedal to help the weaker one is king, and is only obtainable with clip.

There are some many benefits to running clips. I believe the only way to go is clip. Think about this,............... only being able to stand on the pedal to go................being able to pull up with the stronger knee to help to help the other one go around. No brainer

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I used to ride with clips in my old home town, then I moved and as new trails were unfamiliar to me I decided to go with flats. Then somehow I just forget them on bike until this week I ordered pair of Shimano M647 pedals. For me it is so that I can go either way, clips or flats. There is probably tons of very intense debate over those two, all I can say that it's matter of personal taste. So whatever works is fine

Members who have read this thread: 0