Fix one of these up or buy new?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Fix one of these up or buy new?

Okay, 22 yr old, about 150lbs, 5'9, not in great shape but young Haven't really been biking for several years, though it used to be my main mode of transportation (before license). I'll be returning to college this fall in NH. Have an apartment off-campus this year that is a good 4-5 blocks from campus. Have no car at this point, and probably wont get another one for quite some time (not in any rush either with these gas prices).

Looking for a good bike thats fun and easy to ride, is agile (weaving in between crowded areas), and handles curbs/potholes well. With the last two factors in mind, a straight road bike seemed innapropriate to me, but by the same token, since i'll be on road 95% of the time, a straight mountain bike didn't seem appropriate either...

Now I really am drooling over some of these new bikes ive seen here, but my practical sense (and my budget) tells me I should atleast consider the bikes I have already at my disposal.

So in my basement I've been looking at my parents bikes (that they havent ridden in years, are mine to do with whatever)...

One is a Trek Multi-Track 700, its a hybrid (skinny tires), must be about 10 years old...has some rust and tire wear (see photos). However the skinnier tires and lighter weight appeal to me as I will be mostly on pavement. The handlebars on the other hand are just plain ugly to me (would prefer straight), the gripshifters are also not my favorite.

The other is a Rockhopper Specialized (see last two attached images) its also probably 10 years old or so...Is in great shape and seen minimal use. Most of the gear on this bike seems quite good to me, shimano trigger shifters/de-railer and fancy logos and text everywhere...However, my main gripe here is NO SUSPENSION! seems like 10 yrs ago suspension was reserved only for the "elites." Also, the color would have to go...

Trying to maintain brevity here, I'll get to my main question:

Would I get more satisfaction/pleasure out of fixing up one of these bikes, or should I get a new one?

I'm looking at a relatively small budget, around 500$...of course the ibex bikes are appealing to me (and they have no lack of promotion around here lol), although the B-27-RSR one appealed most, being a hybrid, all-around bike, it is slightly out of my price range...

Also, to what extent could these older bikes be upgraded? Could I even add a fork/suspension to the Rockhopper? If so would that be worth the trouble? I have almost no technical ability in this area but that doesnt worry me in the least, I'm a fast learner and i have a relative who races bikes and knows them quite well.

Your advice is greatly appreciated!
    Evan
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Useless post coming...

The other is a Rockhopper Specialized (see last two attached images) its also probably 10 years old or so...Is in great shape and seen minimal use. Most of the gear on this bike seems quite good to me, shimano trigger shifters/de-railer and fancy logos and text everywhere...However, my main gripe here is NO SUSPENSION! seems like 10 yrs ago suspension was reserved only for the "elites." Also, the color would have to go...
    Dude, I am 22, same deal. I am riding one of those right now, and its purple.
    Mine looks a little newer than yours but I do think it is in the 8-9 year range, mine is very similar.

I'm gonna buy a new bike :\

But! It is working for me just fine at the moment! I wish it had a fork for the rough downhills, but whatever :P

ride hard take risks
    Ride the one thet fits best, if one breaks down you have a back-up while you save up more money for a better bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Ride the one thet fits best, if one breaks down you have a back-up while you save up more money for a better bike.
    Yup, use one of those. Just make sure they are cleaned and tuned right (smooth working shifters, true wheel, etc.). For commuting to college, where your bike will remain locked yet unattended for hours at a time, you don't want anything TOO nice (possible theft victim) so those will fit the bill nicely. Both are solid quality bikes. For 95% road use, you don't want front suspension anyway. It just adds weight and decreases peddling efficiency slightly. I have a couple of full rigid bikes that see regular trail use.

mtbr member
    Yeah you definately don't want a nice bike for your college commuter. Just get one of those used ones decent running condition, remove all the quick releases and replace with bolts. Oh and last trick, always park it next to a bike which is nicer than yours and has a weaker lock.

I was lucky back in my college days, I rode my nice bike, but I always brought it inside and kept it in the computer lab where I worked. I didn't even carry around a lock. It was great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    alright, sounds good, as far as getting them in shape, should I just take them to a bike shop?? How about replacement parts, such as handlebar for the Trek, or pedals ? Also, can a bike be painted cheaply/easily ?

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by evanlec
    alright, sounds good, as far as getting them in shape, should I just take them to a bike shop?? How about replacement parts, such as handlebar for the Trek, or pedals ? Also, can a bike be painted cheaply/easily ?
    Put air in the tires, spray Tri-Flow on all pivots & cables, be carefull not to contaminate the brakes & go ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    thats it? if there was only one thing I'd want done its to replace the handlebars on the Trek, anyone have a suggestion for that? I can't stand the gripshifters on it either...can anything be done??

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by evanlec
    thats it? if there was only one thing I'd want done its to replace the handlebars on the Trek, anyone have a suggestion for that? I can't stand the gripshifters on it either...can anything be done??
    Check the local LBS's they usually have parts they pulled off a new bike because the customer just had to upgrade. Generally these are at a great price.

Members who have read this thread: 0