FISHING BIKE replacement options?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2016

New question here. FISHING BIKE replacement options?

Hi
    I'm new here and great forum I've been searching to see if there are any other bike fisherman here.. but haven't seen any threads in searching...
    I only use my bike to fish. Saltwater -
    I use to walk this lonely road in waders for nearly 2 miles.. well needless to say it's a hike and in summer its oppressively hot.
    So I modified my free Jeep bike for fishing - not be able to find a suitable easily removable rack I built one over the existing metal rear rack and added a removable front basket.

well it's been nearly a decade of use and its time for a new or very good used replacement Step through style or women's bike or geezer bike. Not interested in any 700 size tires.

trying to get my leg over the bar with waders is challenging - I have already dropped it once loaded because my leg did not quite make it..
    And destroyed a $300 Shimano reel..

Waves have washed over it- the salt air has killed its steel frame.

So im seriously in the market for a New Fishing Bike.
    I have never bought a good bike and Im seriously considering it and not just getting just a junker mule -

on the high end and the short List is the Specialized Roll Elite ( Black)
    on the low end I looked at a not so great Nishiki Alamoso Black @ ***** 50% off only $200 but was unimpressed - except it was so much easier to get my leg over..

I spend most of my time night fishing 80% of the time and anything reflective isn't desired.
    it a Closed road -

Any suggestions on any other step through design $600 and under would be greatly appreciated

I'm 6'1" 186 lbs
    47 yrs old.

might go look at the Roll tomorrow..

Thanks! PD
    FISHING BIKE replacement options?-img_9342.jpg
    Last edited by pdspeh69; 11-28-2016 at 10:21 PM. Reason: picture added

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    FISHING BIKE replacement options?-img_9343.jpg

mtbr member
    Not that I have any good suggestions, but what kind of terrain, surfaces and distances to you ride?
    Do the math.

CP
    The roll would be a really nice upgrade, my bet is on that bike, the low entry is perfect for waders.

If you feel like customizing your next fishing bike, I used to have a bike with an Xtracycle kit. These are a great fit for a fishing bike, much better setup to ride and you can safely your carry rods, tackle, and fish. Buy Bikes - Bolt-On Kit - Xtracycle

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I think your concerns are prioritized well enough: ease of access/use on the top.

Further, I commend you for considering a bike from a bike shop, rather than scrounging the dumpsters for whatever turns up. I'm not familiar with the Nishiki bike, but this low-access genre is fairly popular, so others are out there. The lowest tube bike I've seen is from Biria. Breezer Bikes makes one...I have worked on one and thought it a nice bike.

The rest I know only from the internet...and you can do just as well as I can there.
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Not that I have any good suggestions, but what kind of terrain, surfaces and distances to you ride?
    It's really the only one place
    It's a flat closed paved road park about 2 miles long
    4 miles total
    Sand/ rocks ocean on one side
    Estuary mud rocks brush on the other.. I stay on the road and have to push the bike into the brush .. Ditch it and walk the shore.. I'm usually never that far from it or the gear as the gear is worth about 2 Rolls..

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by C.P. View Post
    The roll would be a really nice upgrade, my bet is on that bike, the low entry is perfect for waders.

If you feel like customizing your next fishing bike, I used to have a bike with an Xtracycle kit. These are a great fit for a fishing bike, much better setup to ride and you can safely your carry rods, tackle, and fish. Buy Bikes - Bolt-On Kit - Xtracycle
    Cool!! Thanks !!
    I built that rock myself out of necessity and I really like doing it
    It locks on with a system of simple levers underneath
    All PLYwood and fairly light ..the PVC was an old 1.5" dia thin walked shipping tube

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    here are some folks talking about the Roll...not sure if it will help you with your decision or not.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/2...l-1010898.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thanks For the LINK - that conversation is what caused me to join this Forum and post

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    you probably have already looked in the Bikepacking and Bike Expedition section, but lots of good info in there too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfatbaldguy View Post
    I think your concerns are prioritized well enough: ease of access/use on the top.

Further, I commend you for considering a bike from a bike shop, rather than scrounging the dumpsters for whatever turns up. I'm not familiar with the Nishiki bike, but this low-access genre is fairly popular, so others are out there. The lowest tube bike I've seen is from Biria. Breezer Bikes makes one...I have worked on one and thought it a nice bike.

The rest I know only from the internet...and you can do just as well as I can there.
    Good luck!
    THANKS ! Funny the Breezer is how this started - it as a Breezer Greenway suggested by a bike shop in Brooklyn but for $400 - I knew there was something better - especially better than just the run of the Mill big box store bikes. I'll check out Biria too

here's the Nishiki --the price almost got me. almost.. still thinking about..sort of..
    FISHING BIKE replacement options?-fullsizerender-1-.jpg
    we will see what happens at the bike shop. Beware the Roll test ride is what most here are saying..you Roll in looking and Roll out with one.

pd

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thanks for all of the replies!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by fleboz View Post
    you probably have already looked in the Bikepacking and Bike Expedition section, but lots of good info in there too.
    I actually haven't yet ! thanks !!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    before I made the rack - a PVC pipe ziptied worked as a temp..
    a large clam shell under the kick stand holds her up. FISHING BIKE replacement options?-2012-wm.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdspeh69 View Post
    It's really the only one place
    It's a flat closed paved road park about 2 miles long
    4 miles total
    Sand/ rocks ocean on one side
    Estuary mud rocks brush on the other.. I stay on the road and have to push the bike into the brush ...
    The Roll sure looks like a good choice. Easy step-thru. No need for suspension which just adds weight, complexity and opportunity for corrosion. Nice fat tires provide a smooth ride and help prevent sinking into sand when you roll the bike off the road. It looks like it has rack mounts. Have you considered the basic Roll, without the suspension seat-post and disc brakes, neither of which would offer any significant benefit for your use, IMO.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    The Roll sure looks like a good choice. Easy step-thru. No need for suspension which just adds weight, complexity and opportunity for corrosion. Nice fat tires provide a smooth ride and help prevent sinking into sand when you roll the bike off the road. It looks like it has rack mounts. Have you considered the basic Roll, without the suspension seat-post and disc brakes, neither of which would offer any significant benefit for your use, IMO.
    thanks! this is exactly why I have it on my short short list - I first considered the Base model but that Black Elite is just a bad looking and the Darker the better for night fishing - is it worth the extra $150....? not sure it really is... But I have never ever bought a bike that I really wanted before - ever and this will likely be the last bike I will ever own. So im leaning towards the black Elite.

I went to a specialized retailer yesterday - they didn't have any in stock and the salesman/tech wasn't familiar with the model nor truly interested in really helping me.
    he walked away while I was talking with in the 1st 5 min. of entering..it was just plain rude. it was not a good experience for my 1st time in a bike shop in more than 2 decades.
    I wont go there again. when he was willing to give me his precious time..he was pushing me to just buy it w/o testing saying that XYZ bike was same or similar..
    No.

Road Bike Review Member
    Great thread! I've been contemplating buying a cheap fat bike and rigging it up to chase the fish on the beach. I'm tired of walking after them. Lol
    Bike fleet: Scalpel/Habit SE/Synapse Hi Mod/SWorks Tarmac/TJ CX/Trek Speed Concept 9 series/Ridley Noah

mtbr member
    Fisherfolk are optimists to the max! Buy a cargo bike so you can go after the really big fish, and carry an inflatable on the rack. I have a friend that used to haul his one man fishing raft up the Green River in Utah and drift down. I am not sure if he walked back up in his panty hose (yep, under the waders of most manly fly fishermen is a pair of their wives old panty hose). Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenfish39 View Post
    Great thread! I've been contemplating buying a cheap fat bike and rigging it up to chase the fish on the beach. I'm tired of walking after them. Lol
    funny you mentioned FAT Tire - I called 2 local specilized retail shops today. one didnt have any Roll models either..and the other moved 2 hrs away.. but they make custom FAT Tire electric beach rigs .. not a fan of electric bikes at all.. but some of the mods look cool. I like the intigrated custom color matched cargo rack.

https://www.bigcatbikes.com/

pd

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How bout this on CL. Should be a bit better fit than the Jeep & worth upgrading in the future. https://longisland.craigslist.org/bik/5833431647.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    How bout this on CL. Should be a bit better fit than the Jeep & worth upgrading in the future. https://longisland.craigslist.org/bik/5833431647.html
    Thanks ! Really Nice bike but it's got to be a step through or just very low

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Went for a ride and Well my Derailleur snapped off today
    thats it for the jeep Fish Bike - 9yrs of service and its the last straw. yesterday I found a the right shop for the Roll - the owner is bringing one in my size and color for me to test - if it's as good as im expecting / anticpating it to be - it will more than likely be coming home with me.

In the mean time I've been looking around at any other manufactures low entry offerings

I found similar design Schwinn Sierra2 Urban from 2013 was $399
    FISHING BIKE replacement options?-schwinn-2013-sierra-2-w-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Roll Elite.

FISHING BIKE replacement options?-specialized_roll-elite-low-entry_01_2016.jpg

Well - it's perfect ..after a test ride - I bought the Specialized Roll Elite this weekend as my new Fishing Bike. I have all Winter to outfit it for the Spring/ April
    Not sure My old rear Rack will Work but we will see

Thanks for all the Feedback

pd
    Last edited by pdspeh69; 12-12-2016 at 08:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Fitting the old parts----

Took all of the old parts off of the Jeep bike last week to see if they would fit the New Roll or if i'd have to start from scratch..

the old rack fits perfectly - just a few bends in the brackets and the rack to widden it alittle and it all bolted up nicely - which means i'm 1/2 way there
    the old front basket wont do - it's took high and mounts funny but i knew that anyway- still tried it out..

so far so good.
    super slick rig - compared to the Jeep.
    now i have to black out some the components
    FISHING BIKE replacement options?-img_9909.jpgFISHING BIKE replacement options?-img_9905.jpgFISHING BIKE replacement options?-img_9904.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Ready to Go> update

Well it's all together and ready to fish for 2017
    + the Racktime Topit and Sunlite front QR Basket are the perfect addition to the front end.
    + added a used $13 Specialized Rival 143 and a regular post as an alternative to the stock seat and post - I just didn't want to destroy the original for pleasure riding when i'm not fishing
    + all Titanium bolts used to secure the racks to the bike frame.
    + painted or blacked out misc parts

love this bike - awesome to ride
    Thanks to this site, all the info and people here that helped with this project

I plan on remaking the rear rack at some point to lighten it up.
    FISHING BIKE replacement options?-jan15-2017-1.jpg
    FISHING BIKE replacement options?-jan15-2017-2.jpg
    FISHING BIKE replacement options?-jan15-2017-3.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    that turned out great! I love seeing very "purpose-built" bikes come to life. Hope the fish are biting!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thanks !!- the are always biting - I just need to be there when they are and this rig helps immensely

I swapped the seat post again for a carbon fiber one and added a Water bottle bag to the bottle cage- I usually have only have the reg bottled water with me 2-3 or so depending on how long i am out for - 4-6 hrs or so
    I may replace the rear rack and redo a second lighter version on the removable rod/ equipment holder - I really like the rack time front rack - so i have been looking at those.

here it is minus the rack/basket.
    FISHING BIKE replacement options?-img_0866-feb1-2017.jpgFISHING BIKE replacement options?-img_0866-feb1-2017-s.jpgFISHING BIKE replacement options?-img_0866-feb1-2017-b.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

fish bike 2

update March 2019:

its been a while and I was delayed a bit on my lighter rear rack.
    cancer + divorce - my wife walked out on me during cancer...almost a year ago now.

she left her bike behind ..
    I couldn't just toss it..
    so I transformed it into a second fish bike to bring friends along.

just glad to be alive and able to use it still

FISHING BIKE replacement options?-2019-fish-bike-2.jpg